FMLA doctor's note (Chiropractor)

cowboys2008

In the USA we have FMLA (family medical leave act) which guarantees us 12 weeks off work if we have a doctor's permission. I have a bad back and I need to see a chiropractor once a month. I would like to see a chiropractor in Thailand and also get Thai massages two times per week. Does anybody know a good chiropractor in Pattaya who would take care of me and fill out my FMLA forms so I could spend 12 weeks off work and spend it in Thailand getting my back better? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Why not get your USA chiropractor fill in those forms, and once they are approved head for a 12-week holiday in Thailand?

Perhaps because he does not even come close to qualifications?

To take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The cowboy said:-

"...so I could spend 12 weeks off work and spend it in Thailand getting my back better?" (a bit like the Disney quote:- "please dont throw me into the brior patch") . and    ".. ..help find a good chiropractor in Pattaya who would take care of me"

Others said:-

"Why not get your USA chiropractor fill in those forms?" and    "Perhaps because he does not even come close to qualifications?"

Mai pen rai.. not a problem. Maybe the USA Chiropracor doesnt quite believe in his holiday story, or in reality  hasnt heard the proposal,  so cowboy should simply pay bribe money to the "good Thai chiropractor"  like the police.

(referring to a Chiro as a Dr. could surely only happens in the USA)

Edited by Jing Joe
addition
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, Red Phoenix said:

Why not get your USA chiropractor fill in those forms, and once they are approved head for a 12-week holiday in Thailand?  Once in Thailand you can then search for a chiropractor associated with a large hospital, to do your monthly chiropraxis in case you need proof of getting the treatment.  

If I do it in the USA, I will need to have treatment weekly in the USA. I've done it before.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:56 PM, Jing Joe said:

so cowboy should simply pay bribe money to the "good Thai chiropractor"  like the police.

(referring to a Chiro as a Dr. could surely only happens in the USA)

Not a bad idea. I'd be willing to pay 1000 baht for a chiropractor to fill out the FMLA forms only because it will take about 30 minutes to fill out the paperwork in English. It's not a bribe though, because I really would like to get chiropractor care and Thai massages to help with my back.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And get paid for it at the same time apparently. 

Yes, I will get paid because after 20 years of service I have over 100 days of sick leave saved up. I'll be using my sick leave. By the way, when I retire, my job will pay me back for all the unused sick leave I have acquired. You seem to insinuate I'm stilling. This is my money from working for the last 20 years. 

26 minutes ago, cowboys2008 said:

Yes, I will get paid because after 20 years of service I have over 100 days of sick leave saved up. I'll be using my sick leave. By the way, when I retire, my job will pay me back for all the unused sick leave I have acquired. You seem to insinuate I'm stilling. This is my money from working for the last 20 years. 

Fair enough. Seems you  have to take extraordinary steps though.

It's just called medical tourism. It's very popular in the USA because our health care system is so expensive. My sister went to Mexico to have stomach surgery. I plan on going to Thailand to have a lot of dental work done in the future. 

I'm just looking for a good chiropractor. 

2 minutes ago, cowboys2008 said:

I plan on going to Thailand to have a lot of dental work done in the future. 

You are aware that dental work in USA can be as cheap or cheaper than here in Thailand (if you use shopping mall type places).  As for chiropractors that is a US thing - most other countries have few if any.

The largest numbers of chiropractors are found in the United States of America (75,000), Canada (7,250), Australia (4,250), and the United Kingdom (3,000), which were the first countries to establish chiropractic schools.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You are aware that dental work in USA can be as cheap or cheaper than here in Thailand (if you use shopping mall type places).  As for chiropractors that is a US thing - most other countries have few if any.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll forget about finding a chiropractor in Thailand. I think those Thai massages are way better than any chiropractor I've been too.

You would have to also look at your workplace policy to see if and how long they accept overseas Medical certificates from overseas medical practitioners 

Better to get your doctor in the USA to do it 

Whilst you have a lot of sick leave up and I take it you work for the government then use it before you retire 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:35 PM, cowboys2008 said:

In the USA we have FMLA (family medical leave act) which guarantees us 12 weeks off work if we have a doctor's permission. I have a bad back and I need to see a chiropractor once a month. I would like to see a chiropractor in Thailand and also get Thai massages two times per week. Does anybody know a good chiropractor in Pattaya who would take care of me and fill out my FMLA forms so I could spend 12 weeks off work and spend it in Thailand getting my back better? 

I don't think it works like that. You need the dr info first to file the claim and if your employer and insurer sees you got a referral from Thailand without any dr visit they would pobably deny it. You'd be better off getting the dr paperwork in the USA.  You then travel to Thailand after. Not sure the insurance is gonna cover any treatment in Thailand though. Its  hard to claim its necessary since your back is so bad you can't work but you are good enough to travel 1/2 way around the world. Sounds like you just want a vacation. 

• Like 1