Totally lost interest in marriage

bignok

My first marriage at just 19, ended after 17 years. My Absences through the Royal Navy was a partial cause - but we also just drifted apart. Admittedly, more of me drifting than her - basically, I grew up while I was away and wanted a different future. She and I don't speak, but we have two daughters I/we love dearly.

My second marriage lasted some 27 years. I loved her very much and would do anything for her. It gradually disintegrated through many factors and we parted/divorced. We remain close friends and speak/help each other often. I trust her completely and she does with me.

My current relationship is almost 15 years and going strong. 

We are not married. We have a daughter and they are the main foundation of my world.

We're OK and close. We aren't the going out and about type and we both work hard at what we do. 

We have an age difference but it has never been a problem.

My view is that two formal marriages didn't work. We are quite happy not being married.

Her view is that her Thai marriage was a disaster and she is happy with me.

We share all monies - hers and mine, we work the home together, sharing chores and we are not extravagant,

However, we enjoy the things we do. We tend not to have many friends.

Friends we do have are mainly work associates and family, (Thai & English) and a number of Royal Navy friends I am still in contact with.

If I can't make two good marriages work - why would I think I would have success with a third? We are happy as we are.

23 hours ago, bignok said:

Im young enough to try again but whats the point. First one lasted almost 20 years. Couldnt be bothered trying ever again.

What about you? I think gf long term is fine. I see no point in marriages. All you do is waste money.

You will waste money in you marry a Thai and invest in land and property.

Stick to girlfriends.

Cross cultural relationships can be difficult.  Concepts, expectations and social standing can be interpreted in a myriad of ways that may not be congruent between the parties involved.

Politicians and Preachers push the concept of marriage to extort your life of funds and choices.

In Thailand, housing and companions should not be a permanent arrangement, but rather a “pay as you go” contract.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:14 PM, bignok said:

Im young enough to try again but whats the point. First one lasted almost 20 years. Couldnt be bothered trying ever again.

What about you? I think gf long term is fine. I see no point in marriages. All you do is waste money.

How does being married to the person versus them being your long term GF alter the money you spend? 

What about the relationship did you get bored of?