Non-O Multi - Is NOT getting an extension of stay frowned upon?

Took a flight to a nearby country and spent a few days there. Upon my return at Suvarnabhumi the IO asked why I hadn't done an extension and then what my 'O' visa is based on (marriage). I also presented my work permit, and after asking something to the IO at the adjacent counter I was given the 90 day stamp.

Is this considered abusing the system in any way? Why is this type of visa offered if it's considered a problem?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a Non-immigrant Multiple Entry 'O' Visa valid for one year.

Edited by chakeeoyen

Your thread heading is not clear.

If you have  ME non O based on marriage then the io was just inexperienced.

What visa do you actually have? 

Edit: just re read your op .

You were given a 90 day stamp.

Clearly you have a ME Non O marriage visa valid for one year.

Disregard first io.

Just a learner.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

You ran into a (probably young and ambitious) official who was digging for some reason to give you a hard time. Perhaps, the official had transferred from Thai immigration at the Poipet/Aran land crossing where such attempts to hassle anyone staying for more than a few weeks in Thailand is common practice. You are doing nothing wrong, and can continue as before.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 9:51 PM, chakeeoyen said:

Is this considered abusing the system in any way? Why is this type of visa offered if it's considered a problem?

Had many Non O MEs over the years and never been a problem. Did a border bounce to Padang Besar just as the pandemic was starting, only in Malaysia for 4 hours and all the IO asked was where was my wife.

I came across the bridge at Nong Khai in Jan on a re-entry permit and was quizzed on the visa and again where was my wife. When I said over there waiting on me, he grunted and stamped the passport. Luck of the draw.

On 8/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Perhaps the officer just wondered why you didn't get a 60 day extension as well, he likely has no idea how horrible such extensions are knowing it easily takes up an entire day.

My marriage extensions take between 1.5-2 hours, certainly not all day as you suggest.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

My marriage extensions take between 1.5-2 hours, certainly not all day as you suggest.

2.5hrs seems about average, 1.5hrs from walking in to walking out seems hard to imagine, guess for most morning trippers it does overflow into the afternoon, even after setting off at 7am we were getting bloody close to 12noon after the 5th step, the dreaded let's all close and restart around 1pm (around being operative word here, lights are on, people are flowing back in but not much else happening). A small queue at the copy shop or an extra agent arriving would of thrown us into the afternoon.  I can't imagine anyone advising the wife just to take half a day off?

it's plan for an allday affair in my opinion, and if you're lucky, you're done by lunch

• Like 1

I was asked once upon departure many years ago about “why I dont get extension of stay?”. I simply replied I wasn’t aware of it and the officer just suggested it as an option but it required 400,000 baht. I just said I would look into no issues, stamped out and off I went. 

• Like 1