Chinese Rolls-Royce Owner Demands Compensation from Pickup Truck Driver

webfact

39 minutes ago, neeray said:

Thus, if a collision should happen, the commoner is placed in a very difficult position.

Good reason to drive carefully! I'm surprised the pickup driver did'nt "flee the scene"!

Edited by 2baht
  • Like 2

It would be interesting to see here information about the legal situation.

Many of us have an insurance. But all insurances have limits. And in Thailand the limits are not high.

If a poor person with a (government) insured vehicle crashes into something expensive, what will happen? The poor person won't be able to pay the full repair cost because the person is poor.

But what would happen is i.e. a farang dollar millionaire rides on a properly insured motorcycle and crashes into such car? After the insurance pays the little money which it will pay, does the rich person have to pay all the rest from his own money?

It would be great to read a legal answer about this - and not lots of speculations as usual. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

When you are driving one of those cars, you don't let inconveniences like ' work permits ' trouble you.

As other posters have mentioned they doubt the car was funded by her restaurants and so do I.

Now there's a set of hubcaps any Scouser would be proud of! :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, neeray said:

(As an aside, I wonder if she has the proper work permit)

I thought about this also. If it had been a different nationality of farang the investigation would already be done, but seeing how she's a rich chinese--the master race that Thais bow down too (sarcasm), we haven't heard anything about that. Maybe the brown envelopes glossed over checking on that.

Edited by ross163103
Spelling
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well that escalated quickly, how much third party insurance cover does he have?

I often wondered what would happen if I was to accidentally write off one of those supercars with normal first class insurance on my run of the mill Toyota and the accident was my fault.

My policy only covers 1 million baht per accident....so in this case I'd have to fork out the extra 300K....not so bad! But imagine of you wrote the Rolls off, my wife told me it cost 33 milion baht...so I'd only owe 32 million. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The story reminds me of a train accident in Selby England caused by a land rover running onto the track causing 10 deaths and many millions of pounds in damage . 

The landrover owners insurance had to payout millions .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Personally, I find it grossly unfair, in any country, where privileged people drive on the streets in an overly expensive car, often hundreds of times more pricey than what 99.9% of the common folk drive. Thus, if a collision should happen, the commoner is placed in a very difficult position. Such is the case here. Of course the pickup truck driver is at fault but had she been driving a "normal" car, his insurance, if he was insured, would have been adequate.

(As an aside, I wonder if she has the proper work permit)

And hogging the outside lovertaking ane most probably. Most self respecting Mercedes, or BMW drivers would be seen on the inside lane, let alone a Rolls Royce.????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You would think that supercar owners have access to additional insurance that covers them for accidents regardless of who's fault it is.

most peoples 1st class insurance does exactly that

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

I thought about this also. If it had been a different nationality of farang the investigation would already be done, but seeing how she's a rich chinese--the master race that Thais bow down too (sarcasm), we haven't heard anything about that. Maybe the brown envelopes glossed over checking on that.

Puddle deep reporting!