Chinese Rolls-Royce Owner Demands Compensation from Pickup Truck Driver

webfact

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Does the compulsory insurance cover any damage to 3rd party vehicle, or is it just for medical costs?

Just took a quick look at mine and it was only 3rd party injury or death. 

She'll be fine and most of us will still be sipping Chang no matter the outcome.   Somchai might have to work two-three jobs though.   80% chance of him going out in a 100m dash gold store robbery.   

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Must be doing quite well, or just fronts for other business?

We may well find out, now that she has chosen to pursue the matter further.

I hope she has all her affairs in order or she may find herself in a tricky spot.

Fairly sure the Thais will not be appreciating her stance on this, which goes against the typical local culture on such matters with the richer party often showing leniency. They will be sniffing around for any hint of impropriety to use against her…

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, essex boys said:

It shouldn’t matter about the nationality or the car, most foreigners I see here aspire to owning a Toyota fortuner and then proceed to drive it like an idiot! So she’s Chinese and

owns a roller, so,what, the thing that should be of concern is that it’s a pickup ( involved in most accidents here) that’s almost certainly uninsured and / or driven by someone without a license, 

What a post.

You started with speaking up against stereotypes.

And you end with using other stereotypes.

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Personally, I find it grossly unfair, in any country, where privileged people drive on the streets in an overly expensive car, often hundreds of times more pricey than what 99.9% of the common folk drive. Thus, if a collision should happen, the commoner is placed in a very difficult position. Such is the case here. Of course the pickup truck driver is at fault but had she been driving a "normal" car, his insurance, if he was insured, would have been adequate.

(As an aside, I wonder if she has the proper work permit)

I'm thinking that if I could afford a multi million baht vehicle I'd be inclined to have myself chauffeur driven everywhere whilst I tend to the Moet Chandon/caviar in the rear salon along with my latest "squeeze". Driving in Bangkok traffic?

Who was she trying to impress?

Or I would make damn sure I was well covered by insurance just in case Somchai dropped his phone and bumped into me.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It would be interesting to see here information about the legal situation.

Many of us have an insurance. But all insurances have limits. And in Thailand the limits are not high.

If a poor person with a (government) insured vehicle crashes into something expensive, what will happen? The poor person won't be able to pay the full repair cost because the person is poor.

But what would happen is i.e. a farang dollar millionaire rides on a properly insured motorcycle and crashes into such car? After the insurance pays the little money which it will pay, does the rich person have to pay all the rest from his own money?

It would be great to read a legal answer about this - and not lots of speculations as usual. 

Yeah, I would like to know how all this finish too... Poor Thai no insured VS Rich Farang insured... and viceversa.

• Love It 1

OMG lol. These people sure know how to polish a trd 5555. Turn a hit and run into where you are almost feeling sorry for the poor soul who rear ended her and did a runner lol. Probably deduced she was a foreigner, didn't know jack and he'd get away with it.

. Upon hearing the news that she forgave the pickup driver and did not demand compensation,

my 7yo kid tells more beievable fibs than that. Only in Lieland ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

And hogging the outside lovertaking ane most probably. Most self respecting Mercedes, or BMW drivers would be seen on the inside lane, let alone a Rolls Royce.????

She was stuck in a traffic queue....................????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Personally, I find it grossly unfair, in any country, where privileged people drive on the streets in an overly expensive car, often hundreds of times more pricey than what 99.9% of the common folk drive. Thus, if a collision should happen, the commoner is placed in a very difficult position. Such is the case here. Of course the pickup truck driver is at fault but had she been driving a "normal" car, his insurance, if he was insured, would have been adequate.

(As an aside, I wonder if she has the proper work permit)

I agree totally. But that's what insurances are for. If this happend anywhere in [Continental] Europe, the insurances would take care of it. If too many RRs get rear ended, he cost of these claims will get mutualized in the forthcoming year's premiums. Of course people will have to take out a full third party insurance, but most do.

It must be creating a bit of controversy as there was a 15 minute segment on Thai news yesterday. The roller does not look too badly damaged hence only the 1.3 million baht estimate. A poultice of bondo and a quick blow over with a rattle can and the job's a good un. But the pickup. Holly molly. Would be a write off in any other country. This is the problem when you crash into the equivalent of a brick outhouse.

• Haha 2