England beat Australia to reach Womens World Cup final !

Social Media

image.png

England reached the Women's World Cup final for the first time as they spoiled co-hosts Australia's party on a historic evening in Sydney.

Silencing a sell-out crowd at Stadium Australia with their 3-1 victory, the Lionesses became the first England football team since 1966 to reach a senior final on the world stage.

It caps a sensational two years under manager Sarina Wiegman as England, crowned European champions for the first time last year on home soil, showed their superiority and know-how to see off an Australia side spurred on by a nation who have been inspired by the Matildas' success.

Ella Toone gave England the lead in the first half with a superb first-time strike which sailed into the top corner.

The Lionesses controlled proceedings until the second half when Australia threw everything at them and star striker Sam Kerr - starting her first match of the tournament - struck a 25-yard stunner over goalkeeper Mary Earps' head to make it 1-1.

But England, as they so often do, found a way back into the game when Lauren Hemp pounced on a defensive error to restore their lead, before Alessia Russo made sure of victory late on to set up a final with Spain on Sunday.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, RayC said:

England were the better side and largely controlled proceedings throughout the 90 minutes. However, Australia probably had the more clear-cut chances.

High quality match. Good advertisement for women's football.

Agreed.....  lots of people downplaying the quality of the Woman's football and while some of it is clearly not up to the standards of the mens game (at the same WC level) the football is still very enjoyable with plenty of quality - I thoroughly enjoyed the game and completely agree that this game in particular was an excellent advertisement for women's football. 

I think the French advert for the Women Football World Cup spells things out very nicely. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/sport/football-women-world-cup-france-advertisement-b2377089.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.....  lots of people downplaying the quality of the Woman's football and while some of it is clearly not up to the standards of the mens game (at the same WC level) the football is still very enjoyable with plenty of quality - I thoroughly enjoyed the game and completely agree that this game in particular was an excellent advertisement for women's football. 

I think the French advert for the Women Football World Cup spells things out very nicely. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/sport/football-women-world-cup-france-advertisement-b2377089.html

Excellent 

I'm in Europe now and women football is big! They show every game live and I've seen 80% them.

Very entertaining, hi level and super interesting.

My favorite is Spain - I like/love Latinas... ???? They are not too big. They are like Asian in size.

Maybe not PC to say so but I got other faults too like San Andreas in California...

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have mixed feelings about advertisements such as these and also some of the media coverage which imo infers that elite women's football - and women's sport in general - is the equal of men's in terms of skill and quality. Imo in most sports - for whatever reasons - that is not the case, although I appreciate that they are trying to combat some of the more bigoted and misogynistic views among the (male) sporting public.

I can't claim to have watched many of the matches at this WC in full but, based on the relatively small number which I have seen, I'd wager that the number of misplaced passes, for example, in this women's WC greatly outweighs the number seen in the last men's WC. 

Personally, I'd rather enjoy women's sport in it's own right and for what it is rather than measure it against the yardstick of men's sport and have the media pretend that it is something that it isn't.

• Like 1

Great result for England.

Women's football is much like women's boxing. At the very top level it is a decent quality and quite watchable (I am a big fan of Chantelle Cameron) but dip below that and it drops off very fast and resembles a Sunday morning pub team. I watched the first 20 minutes of Sweden vs Japan and it was awful, like an under 14's game (I ended up turning it off) but I have to say this game was pretty good and the goals scored were of a high quality (especially England's first goal) so kudos to the English women and it's good to see the women's game progressing.

I'll certainly watch the final on Sunday, but I'll have to turn the BBC commentary off - I don't know where they got these women commentators from but they seem to be doing a poor impersonation of male commentators (they have the Elizabeth Holmes fake deep voice and all the usual football cliches) and it's as irritating as fingernails being scraped down a blackboard.

Good luck to England for Sunday.

9 hours ago, RayC said:

I have mixed feelings about advertisements such as these and also some of the media coverage which imo infers that elite women's football - and women's sport in general - is the equal of men's in terms of skill and quality. Imo in most sports - for whatever reasons - that is not the case, although I appreciate that they are trying to combat some of the more bigoted and misogynistic views among the (male) sporting public.

I can't claim to have watched many of the matches at this WC in full but, based on the relatively small number which I have seen, I'd wager that the number of misplaced passes, for example, in this women's WC greatly outweighs the number seen in the last men's WC. 

Personally, I'd rather enjoy women's sport in it's own right and for what it is rather than measure it against the yardstick of men's sport and have the media pretend that it is something that it isn't.

Yes it's laughable to compare the quality. A low level Welsh team of men beat the USA women world champions 12-0.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12151485/Wrexham-Red-Dragons-knock-Women-Soccer-Tournament-beating-12-0.html

Like I said previously, once you drop below the VERY top level of the women's game the quality is awful whereas the men's game has strength in depth, a 4th tier team from the English leagues would probaby score double figures against every women's national team. 

However, that doesn't mean that women's football can't be enjoyed. It's just different, much slower, more space etc. It actually reminds me of some men's games from 30-40 years ago when the focus was more on skill and less on physicality/pace which is actually a good thing IMO. Some modern day players in the men's game (especially the Premier League's weaker sides) are great physical specimens in terms of strength and pace but have very little skill and their first touch is so bad that their second touch tends to be a tackle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yes it's laughable to compare the quality. A low level Welsh team of men beat the USA women world champions 12-0.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12151485/Wrexham-Red-Dragons-knock-Women-Soccer-Tournament-beating-12-0.html

Like I said previously, once you drop below the VERY top level of the women's game the quality is awful whereas the men's game has strength in depth, a 4th tier team from the English leagues would probaby score double figures against every women's national team. 

However, that doesn't mean that women's football can't be enjoyed. It's just different, much slower, more space etc. It actually reminds me of some men's games from 30-40 years ago when the focus was more on skill and less on physicality/pace which is actually a good thing IMO. Some modern day players in the men's game (especially the Premier League's weaker sides) are great physical specimens in terms of strength and pace but have very little skill and their first touch is so bad that their second touch tends to be a tackle.

Tbf that article appears to refer to a match between two teams of mainly vets players.

The English WSL is only a few years old and the quality seems to improve season by season. Nevertheless, as you say there doesn't seem to be a great deal of strength in depth below the top level. Hopefully, it will come in time.

I do get frustrated by some of the BBC's coverage of women's football (and cricket). Almost every example of a good piece of play is lauded as if nothing like it has been seen before, whereas mistakes are either ignored or some flimsy (and usually erroneous) excuse is made (e.g "the ball bobbled", "that missed catch looks worse than what it is", etc.). Call it for what it is; the viewer can (mostly) see what happened.

Careful what you wish for. The only alternative to the female commentaters appears to be Jonathan Pearce!????

Edited by RayC
Correction
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Flawed logic... 

The women's Olympic final 100m, 4x100m or 4x400m relay is still an incredible spectacle... yet before 1900 they could not compete. 

The men are faster and considered the pinnacle because they are ultimately faster, fastest, that doesn't detract from the prowess of the female athletes... 

Similar with football, I know its a bit of oranges to apples as a comparison, however, women are not competing with men, they are competing with other women and there is some enjoyable football to be watched....

.... just as there is some enjoyable football to be watched when going to a Thai stadium, and watching Thai teams play, the standard is not has high as the premier league etc, but neither is it horrific...  its enjoyable.

I think those who use the above argument as JonnyF fail to get the point. 

Men will always be stronger, faster, more agile etc...  but that doesn't mean the female game cannot be enjoyed. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

just as there is some enjoyable football to be watched when going to a Thai stadium, and watching Thai teams play

Sorry, but I can't agree. I agree with most of your comment but, Thai football is not enjoyable. The standard is just too low.

I watched an English National League South match on Saturday. That is my limit on standard of football I would pay to watch. Both teams would absolutely slaughter any Thai team, including the national team.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

just as there is some enjoyable football to be watched when going to a Thai stadium, and watching Thai teams play

Sorry, but that just isn't true. I agree with most of your comment but, Thai football is not enjoyable. 

Have you ever been to a Thai stadium and watched it ??? - give it a try, its fun.

I do agree, the quality is of questionable standard when compared to international leagues of a more elevated status, yet it's still very enjoyable.

Going back to Women's football...  Sam Kerr's goal was quite exceptional, I defy anyone questions that level of talent in a male or female - to do that under the pressure of a WC Semi final at home... what a stage to showcase the potential of football. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you ever been to a Thai stadium and watched it ??? - give it a try, its fun.

I do agree, the quality is of questionable standard when compared to international leagues of a more elevated status, yet it's still very enjoyable.

Going back to Women's football...  Sam Kerr's goal was quite exceptional, I defy anyone questions that level of talent in a male or female - to do that under the pressure of a WC Semi final at home... what a stage to showcase the potential of football. 

Have I ever been to a Thai stadium?

Our home is 2kms from Chang Stadium. Home to Buriram United. I believe the most successful team in Thai Premier League history. Used to get free tickets quite often. After several matches we ended up giving them away.

16 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Have I ever been to a Thai stadium?

Our home is 2kms from Chang Stadium. Home to Buriram United. I believe the most successful team in Thai Premier League history. Used to get free tickets quite often. After several matches we ended up giving them away.

Fair enough...  You've been and made an informed decision - no criticism there. 

That said, I'm only interested in going watch a game a few times per year... it would the same in the UK or for any regularly held mid-season sporting event... similar here... still fun though. 

Again, no detraction from female football....  I'm definately making sure I watch the final. 

In fact after Martinez' outburst after winning the golden glove in the mens WC, I wonder what the reaction will be of the female WC golden glove winner !!!! 

image.png.2ed8b26e20c9a04af4b99d72418d7e61.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

think those who use the above argument as JonnyF fail to get the point. 

Men will always be stronger, faster, more agile etc...  but that doesn't mean the female game cannot be enjoyed. 

Actually that was my exact point. Maybe re read my post. I said that men will always beat women but that the women's game relies more on skill than power and I like it for that. Seriously, read my post (slowly - three times).

These strawman arguments are so tiresome.