82 year old man dies after being stung by swarm of wasps

webfact

image.jpeg

An 82 year old Thai man tragically died after he was stung by a swarm of wasps in an abandoned house in the Isaan province of Maha Sarakham.

ThaiRath reported that the old man, Sai Romyen, requested to use the bathroom at a local grocery shop nearby his house on the incident day. Unfortunately, all the bathrooms were occupied by others so Sai walked to an abandoned house nearby the shop to use the bathroom.

While en route to the bathroom, Sai stumbled upon a discarded motorcycle, which had become a nesting site for a swarm of wasps. Triggered by the unexpected intrusion, the wasps reacted with instinctual aggression, swiftly attacking the intruder.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via ThaiRath

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/82-year-old-man-dies-after-being-stung-by-swarm-of-wasps

-- Thaiger 2023-08-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8

20 minutes ago, proton said:

Would they be those tiny wasps not much bigger then a ghat? They give nasty bites all over you almost before you see them, never seen big wasps here

I've seen big wasps on a golf course in Chiang Mai. The nest was only about half a dozen of them.

The guy I was playing with had been in Thailand a long time, and said just 2 or 3 stings could be fatal.

37 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Yes that’s what the story is about, not a horrible and cruel death

agree...horrible death for old man is not the best subject to make bad jokes about...he was somebodys dad/grand dad looking to go to the bathroom not out on a mission to steal an old rundown motorbike...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, pomchop said:

agree...horrible death for old man is not the best subject to make bad jokes about...he was somebodys dad/grand dad looking to go to the bathroom not out on a mission to steal an old rundown motorbike...

I don't think anyone is joking about it.  They're suggesting that it wasn't him simply entering the area that made the wasps attack him, but that he might have interfered with the bike and that the disturbed the nest.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't think anyone is joking about it.  They're suggesting that it wasn't him simply entering the area that made the wasps attack him, but that he might have interfered with the bike and that the disturbed the nest.

from a post:  I would imagine this story is less about a man needing a wee and more to do with thinking he had found a free motorbike

Maybe "joking" was the wrong word..but some seem to imply that he was looking to steal the bike or ???....and so what if he looked at or even moved the bike...the guy needed to pee got stung to death which was a horrible way to die...how about just leave it at that

Edited by pomchop
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Maybe "joking" was the wrong word..but some seem to imply that he was looking to steal the bike or ???....and so what if he looked at or even moved the bike...the guy needed to pee got stung to death which was a horrible way to die...how about just leave it at that

Why not speculate on what actually happened if you suspect that the article is inaccurate in its reporting?

crikey blue  !    survived struggles and hardship,

fought many battles along the way i'd imagine .... makes it to 82 and still going strong and in the blink of an eye gets taken out by a wasp sting.

RIP OLD TIMER ....  your gate entry reached it's expiry date.

you had a pretty good innings

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, BangkokReady said:

Why not speculate on what actually happened if you suspect that the article is inaccurate in its reporting?

the guy needed to pee got stung to death which was a horrible way to die...how about just leave it at that

• Confused 1