Do they really have a law that allows them to confiscate and destroy property due to speeding?

Also why destroy if you could auction it off and at least do something a bit positive? Somehow this makes no sense to me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Do they really have a law that allows them to confiscate and destroy property due to speeding?

Also why destroy if you could auction it off and at least do something a bit positive? Somehow this makes no sense to me.

Just after 6.30pm Monday 30 January police from Barossa Highway Patrol were conducting speed detection duties on the North South Motorway at Waterloo Corner when they clocked a black 2009 Holden utility travelling north at 253km/h in a 110km/h zone.

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Just after 6.30pm Monday 30 January police from Barossa Highway Patrol were conducting speed detection duties on the North South Motorway at Waterloo Corner when they clocked a black 2009 Holden utility travelling north at 253km/h in a 110km/h zone.

That doesn't address anything I wrote though.

BTW I think it heavily depends on *where* he drove at that speed. If it's inside a populated area then yea. Bit of an issue imho. If it's on a big empty highway with great visibility etc then less of an issue. Where I come from driving 250+ kph can be considered fine - under the right conditions.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

That doesn't address anything I wrote though.

Of course, there is a law otherwise they could not do that he most properly got caught many times before and if they sell it, he can send a friend to buy it back again. 

• Haha 1

Just now, still kicking said:

Of course, there is a law otherwise they could not do that he most properly got caught many times before and if they sell it, he can send a friend to buy it back again. 

He could also just buy another car. But to answer my own question:

Before a vehicle can be destroyed, it must first have been impounded three or more times. Until now, such vehicles have been sold back into the community, with the profits going towards road safety initiatives.

From this week, when a vehicle that has been impounded three times or more is deemed unroadworthy, unsafe or does not meet a minimum 4-star safety standard, it will be given to the State Emergency Service (SES) for training drills before being destroyed.

It seems the reason for being destroyed is not that the guy was speeding but that the vehicle was impounded and after several attempts still found not road legal. The speed has no bearing on this.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/victoria-police-crush-first-vehicle-under-anti-hoon-laws/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

He could also just buy another car. But to answer my own question:

It seems the reason for being destroyed is not that the guy was speeding but that the vehicle was impounded and after several attempts still found not road legal. The speed has no bearing on this.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/victoria-police-crush-first-vehicle-under-anti-hoon-laws/

This was not in Victoria it was in South Australia and maybe it was impounded before

57 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

a 19 yr old girl in US was going 160 clicks, crashed and her bf died.

she's going to jail. 

Shirilla? She was found guilty of deliberately crashing the car to kill her boyfriend, taking out his friend as well in the process. She's going to jail for murder, not speeding. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Shirilla? She was found guilty of deliberately crashing the car to kill her boyfriend, taking out his friend as well in the process. She's going to jail for murder, not speeding. 

she did it on purpose?

how did she know she would come out alive?

what was her motive? 

I've only seen the news reports.  They didn't really give a motive beyond her being an angry, high, 17 year old in a volatile relationship who was fighting with her boyfriend while she was driving. It seems like it was just chance she survived. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

Is there a police officer sitting next to the car thieve taking photos while they are joy riding?  What a ridiculous comment.  

What a ridiculous comment.

Even someone with a pea brain would have understood the post you were replying to, so that obviously doesn't include you.

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Is there a police officer sitting next to the car thieve taking photos while they are joy riding?  What a ridiculous comment.  

I guess you are a bar hopper, there is millions of cop cars with cameras we don't need a smart BMW 

8 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I guess you are a bar hopper, there is millions of cop cars with cameras we don't need a smart BMW 

This guy was that stupid he didn't car about the dash cam.  Looked like a meth head to me. 

My question to you is, where were all the police taking photos of him????  That's not how they caught him. 

He got caught because he was that high he drove there car to either his house, or where he was staying. 

This guy was that stupid he didn't car about the dash cam.  Looked like a meth head to me. 

My question to you is, where were all the police taking photos of him????  That's not how they caught him. 

He got caught because he was that high he drove there car to either his house, or where he was staying. 

Different story

No one is worried, just sorting out the BS from the facts here. 

Can you tell us all where all these police cameras are take photos of car thieves joy riding?  Do those stolen cars get crushed?  No. 

This car was not stolen the driver had many speed tickets before and got suspended 30 days for honing