Dengue Fever Cases Climb To 5,000-6,000 A Week

webfact

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Did they tell you what dengue strain they had found in your blood.

No, but despite my body going into shock the doctor told me I had the milder form of dengue; I was also told that any subsequent infection would be worse than the first, the body doesn't build any resistance to it but is somehow weakened by it, 3 or 4 further infections results in death.

35 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

every chemist and most supermarkets that have a medicine unit

Not true.  Some may, but many will not.  I asked and was told (by one who does not stock it) that it is precisely because Aspirin should not be taken for Dengue that they (and others) do not.

Surprised that someone who has had Dengue does not know this.

One of many, many website links that explain:

https://www.vinmec.com/en/pharmaceutical-information/use-medicines-safely/why-should-you-not-take-aspirin-and-ibuprofen-when-you-have-dengue-fever/

PH

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Not true.  Some may, but many will not.  I asked and was told (by one who does not stock it) that it is precisely because Aspirin should not be taken for Dengue that they (and others) do not.

https://www.vinmec.com/en/pharmaceutical-information/use-medicines-safely/why-should-you-not-take-aspirin-and-ibuprofen-when-you-have-dengue-fever/

PH

I wouldn't take aspirin for dengue, it's a blood thinner and you are bleeding internally as it is, I was answering a post that implied you couldn't buy aspirin in Thailand and of course you can.

29 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

No, but despite my body going into shock the doctor told me I had the milder form of dengue; I was also told that any subsequent infection would be worse than the first, the body doesn't build any resistance to it but is somehow weakened by it, 3 or 4 further infections results in death.

I have not looked into it much my heart stopped at the initial stages of being taken into emergency and I was brought back by CPR I had a complete blood transfer so I'm Thai now ????.

I was in hospital for nearly 3 weeks.

Doc said I had the worse strain and was told I could still get others but they would not affect me too much.

So as I say different docs so different diagnostic.

Who to believe dunno all I know and experience now is that I don't seem to get bitten anymore by ordinary mosquitoes while others around me do.

38 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

PH

Your right if I had taken Aspirin I probably had bled to death I was already bleeding at a high rate internally and spewing blood in a violent way. 

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

A doctor told me when I had it, that getting it a second time is worse and even more dangerous.

There are four variants. of dengue.

If you've had it, you could get the vaccine to protect against getting it again. Dengvaxia.

This is not good but it happens every year. So many breeding areas because Thailand on the whole is filthy. Thais don't clean up breeding areas for such danger and yet are still wearing masks for something that (thankfully) doesn't even make the daily news cycle anymore.

image.jpeg.92f8655162be332534e5edf0d03f8f44.jpeg

7 hours ago, thailand49 said:

take aspirin

Absolutely contraindicated.

Don't take aspirin if you have or suspect to have Dengue.

Dangerous as explained in the article. 

"Suspect to have" means every time you have a fever. 

That's why aspirin is not popular here

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I have not looked into it much my heart stopped at the initial stages of being taken into emergency and I was brought back by CPR I had a complete blood transfer so I'm Thai now ????.

I was in hospital for nearly 3 weeks.

Doc said I had the worse strain and was told I could still get others but they would not affect me too much.

So as I say different docs so different diagnostic.

Who to believe dunno all I know and experience now is that I don't seem to get bitten anymore by ordinary mosquitoes while others around me do.

A German colleague of mine (42 years old) was sent to Thailand as a rep, he had dengue twice, one year apart. The first time was relatively benign as in my case, the second time he had to have, like you, a complete blood transfusion and fell into a coma for two days. After a two week spell in hospital the head doctor in a private hospital in BKK told him to return to Germany and never come to Asia again as a third infection would kill him. He was given a medical report to this effect so that his company had to withdraw him.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

A German colleague of mine (42 years old) was sent to Thailand as a rep, he had dengue twice, one year apart. The first time was relatively benign as in my case, the second time he had to have, like you, a complete blood transfusion and fell into a coma for two days. After a two week spell in hospital the head doctor in a private hospital in BKK told him to return to Germany and never come to Asia again as a third infection would kill him. He was given a medical report to this effect so that his company had to withdraw him.

Interesting totally different to what doctors say in my local hospital.

Maybe it's has a individual type of effect on certain people and doctors know that.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

completely wrong, the body produces no immunity to dengue.

I'm not a doctor but from what I'm told by doctors in Thailand I wouldn't take any notice of what you say especially when there is a injection available for the dengue virus. 

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Yes you are correct, but only 80mg tablets. Aspirin is controlled in Thailand.

So maybe a bit of research on your part would be helpful.

Aspirin is not a controlled substance in Thailand, you should refrain from posting misinformation.

General policy is to prescribe 80mg tablets for hypertension so that is the most readily available.

In the UK it is general policy to prescribe 75mg dispersible so almost impossible to get 80mg tablets. In the UK you can only buy one container at a time but that does not constitute a controlled substance.

Aspirin is a blood thinner and the rumours from the recent pandemic may well have prompted pharmacies to reconsider their stock position in respect of the larger tablet sizes.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Interesting totally different to what doctors say in my local hospital.

Maybe it's has a individual type of effect on certain people and doctors know that.

I would only trust experts on dengue. When my symptoms first appeared, red spots on my skin, lack of appetite, tiredness and feeling dizzy, I went to a local doctor who said I had a sun allergy (hence the red spots) and I was dizzy because I was old (63 at the time) I distrusted him and drove to a private hospital who first tested my blood and urine, half an hour after the lab report the doctor told me I was an emergency admission as I was going into shock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I would only trust experts on dengue. When my symptoms first appeared, red spots on my skin, lack of appetite, tiredness and feeling dizzy, I went to a local doctor who said I had a sun allergy (hence the red spots) and I was dizzy because I was old (63 at the time) I distrusted him and drove to a private hospital who first tested my blood and urine, half an hour after the lab report the doctor told me I was an emergency admission as I was going into shock.

Well like I say I think dengue affects people in different ways according to what strain and what kind of knowledge of the doc who is in charge of your condition. 

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I wouldn't take aspirin for dengue, it's a blood thinner and you are bleeding internally as it is, I was answering a post that implied you couldn't buy aspirin in Thailand and of course you can.

Exactly. Dengue lowers the platlet count so the last thing you need is to make the blood thinner.

It was the same during the pandemic. It was found in a few rare cases of covid the platlets were sticking together and effectively lowering the platlet count. This was mistakenly being said to be blood clots and people were advocating blood thinners as a preventative measure. 

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Aspirin is not a controlled substance in Thailand, you should refrain from posting misinformation.

General policy is to prescribe 80mg tablets for hypertension so that is the most readily available.

In the UK it is general policy to prescribe 75mg dispersible so almost impossible to get 80mg tablets. In the UK you can only buy one container at a time but that does not constitute a controlled substance.

Aspirin is a blood thinner and the rumours from the recent pandemic may well have prompted pharmacies to reconsider their stock position in respect of the larger tablet sizes.

Duh---that is what I said. (also your UK information is irrelevant here).

Try buying 300mg aspirin tablets at any pharmacy.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Well like I say I think dengue affects people in different ways according to what strain and what kind of knowledge of the doc who is in charge of your condition. 

Quite. When I had it I never went to hospital or saw a doctor. Just went to a local clinic and had my platlet count checked a couple of times during what was a very uncomfortable 10 days.

My neice had it a few weeks before me and she was initially admitted for one night due to deyhdration, i had some idea what to expect.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

completely wrong, the body produces no immunity to dengue.

He is correct.  He will be immune to the Dengue strain that he had - but have no immunity to the other three strains.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm not a doctor but from what I'm told by doctors in Thailand I wouldn't take any notice of what you say especially when there is a injection available for the dengue virus. 

I've just googled it, dengvaxia is only 65% effective and yes each subsequent infection is worse than the proceeding one, the 3rd infection usually produces massive internal bleeding and liver damage. There is a new better vaccine from France but it looks rather expensive, I shall ask my insurance if they will pay for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Duh---that is what I said. (also your UK information is irrelevant here).

Try buying 300mg aspirin tablets at any pharmacy.

Take it getting the context from a post is not your strong point.

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

A doctor told me when I had it, that getting it a second time is worse and even more dangerous.

There are four variants. of dengue.

I had it twice and wow second time was the worst thing I've ever had. The effects lasted weeks if not a couple of months. 2 weeks of hell but my taste went for a holiday for a couple of months: coffee tasted of charcoal my hair thined. It made my malaria feel like a sniffle.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite. When I had it I never went to hospital or saw a doctor. Just went to a local clinic and had my platlet count checked a couple of times during what was a very uncomfortable 10 days.

My neice had it a few weeks before me and she was initially admitted for one night due to deyhdration, i had some idea what to expect.

Thanks I care about what people read here I do not like the scare mongers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I've just googled it, dengvaxia is only 65% effective and yes each subsequent infection is worse than the proceeding one, the 3rd infection usually produces massive internal bleeding and liver damage. There is a new better vaccine from France but it looks rather expensive, I shall ask my insurance if they will pay for it.

I support your decision to get a immunisation vaccine.

Wish you health and happiness, take care.

11 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Nasty, nasty infection. We all know about malaria but overlook dengue.

I also guess that the actual cases are far higher. 

I got it here in CM long ago...messed me up bad..had to go CM ram for 4 days

took me 6 weeks to recover fully........just laid out in bed the whole time......was bad!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I've been hospitalized for dengue fever, there is no cure, all the doctors can do is to support the body's vital functions and hope for the best. I was woken every two hours and given a pill and blood was taken for the lab. It was the worst illness that I had ever had, after 4 days I was released from hospital but it took me 6 weeks to recover my normal vitality.

That was exactly my experience too.  I was attached to a drip for 4 days. It's an awful affliction; you start feeling better then it hits you again.  i wasn't right for months afterwards.

• Sad 1