Applying earlier than normal this fall for upcoming retirement extension

Just food for thought... I am applying earlier than normal this year for an upcoming retirement extension renewal, taking almost full advantage of BKK CW's allowance to apply up to 45 days prior to one's expiration date.

Why? Recall that Thai police bigshot Big Joke was in the news lately talking about his plan to propose toughening the financial requirements for retirement extensions once a new Thai police chief is named. And there's been talk that the new police chief appointment could come by the end of August, presumably after a new PM is elected, which could happen this week.

Now, Big Joke didn't specify just how much he was going to propose raising the bank deposits financial requirement for retirement extensions beyond the current (and longtime 800,000 baht) level. And he made no mention of whether he'd include any kind of grandfathering provision in his proposal. And of course, we don't know what final action ultimately might be taken on such a proposal, or when.

But, just to be on the safer side, I decided that this year, I'll apply for and obtain a new one-year retirement extension right now as soon as possible under the current 800,000 baht rule. So, even if they do end up making some changes in the near future / coming months, hopefully I'll have the better part of a year to prepare for how to handle, and what I'll plan to do, when my next cycle comes around in fall 2024.

When the government/Immigration has made these kinds of changes in the past, they haven't always given plenty of advance notice before putting the new requirements into effect. And I don't want to get caught out...just in case.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just food for thought... I am applying earlier than normal this year for an upcoming retirement extension renewal, taking almost full advantage of BKK CW's allowance to apply up to 45 days prior to one's expiration date.

Why? Recall that Thai police bigshot Big Joke was in the news lately talking about his plan to propose toughening the financial requirements for retirement extensions once a new Thai police chief is named. And there's been talk that the new police chief appointment could come by the end of August, presumably after a new PM is elected, which could happen this week.

Now, Big Joke didn't specify just how much he was going to propose raising the bank deposits financial requirement for retirement extensions beyond the current (and longtime 800,000 baht) level. And he made no mention of whether he'd include any kind of grandfathering provision in his proposal. And of course, we don't know what final action ultimately might be taken on such a proposal, or when.

But, just to be on the safer side, I decided that this year, I'll apply for and obtain a new one-year retirement extension right now as soon as possible under the current 800,000 baht rule. So, even if they do end up making some changes in the near future / coming months, hopefully I'll have the better part of a year to prepare for how to handle, and what I'll plan to do, when my next cycle comes around in fall 2024.

When the government/Immigration has made these kinds of changes in the past, they haven't always given plenty of advance notice before putting the new requirements into effect. And I don't want to get caught out...just in case.

Worrying to much to early. Big Joke nor the new police chef has no control over the amount of money required for visas.  He can suggest that its raised but it isn't within his ability to do anything other than talk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Worrying to much to early. Big Joke nor the new police chef has no control over the amount of money required for visas.  He can suggest that its raised but it isn't within his ability to do anything other than talk. 

There's some speculation he (Big Joke) might BE the next national police chief.... And lately, he has had an ever increasing profile in the government. So I'm careful to watch what he's saying and doing.

PS - When it comes to Immigration rules, it's not like they typically announce a proposal and then have it under public review for some months before making a final decision.

The more typical method they seem to employ is simply to pop up out of the blue someday announcing that starting from XXX date, these new rules are going to apply as follows...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's some speculation he (Big Joke) might BE the next national police chief.... And lately, he has had an ever increasing profile in the government. So I'm careful to watch what he's saying and doing.

Again he would have no power to change anything. All he could do is make a "recommendation" and its outta his hands at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

Again he would have no power to change anything. All he could do is make a "recommendation" and its outta his hands at that point.

What we're talking about here are the rules contained in Police Orders, specifically the financial requirement for extensions.

That language is within the purview of the National Police chief along with Immigration to change and amend. They might take it to Cabinet as a courtesy. But it's not like they'd be enacting a new law requiring legislative approval.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What we're talking about here are the rules contained in Police Orders, specifically the financial requirement for extensions.

That language is within the purview of the National Police chief along with Immigration to change and amend. They might take it to Cabinet as a courtesy. But it's not like they'd be enacting a new law requiring legislative approval.

You may want to check that as I don't believe he would have the authority to change it just on his opinion nor do I think he actually believes his off the cuff comments from some ago. Believe what you want 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

You may want to check that as I don't believe he would have the authority to change it just on his opinion nor do I think he actually believes his off the cuff comments from some ago. Believe what you want 

If nothing comes of his plan and proposal, then I've applied early and gotten my new extension just fine. Nothing lost by taking advantage of the early extension renewal, even if the rules stay the same.

But if they change, at least I know I'm presumably unaffected for another year, and have time to watch and see how all the potential details to shake out...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Police Order summarises the rules. However, things like requirements for extensions must, at a minimum, be endorsed by the Minister, and often require cabinet approval. The Police Chief, by law, is only allowed to implement Immigration law. He cannot create it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have decided to close this thread as I do not think anything other than bickering is likely to be added. The Police Chief is an influential voice when changes to Immigration law are under consideration. He has no power to unilaterally change it.

CLOSED

• Like 1