UK and Thailand Hold Joint AI Week

webfact

image.jpeg

The British Embassy in Bangkok has just concluded its inaugural UK AI Week, a riveting four-day event from the 15th to the 18th of August 2023 that showcased the United Kingdom’s global leadership in Artificial Intelligence (AI). The goal? To deepen the ties between the UK and Thailand, and explore the untapped potential of AI in the region.

The week was bursting with activities, from high-level policy discussions to commercial exhibitions. At the Eastin Grand Hotel Phayathai, key stakeholders from both countries inaugurated the week with a policy roundtable. UK representatives included experts from renowned institutions such as the Alan Turing Institute and the Institute of Analytics. The gathering revolved around the potential of AI, its implications across various sectors, governance, investment opportunities, and AI as a catalyst for positive change.

As the sun set on the 15th of August, the British Embassy held a reception at the Ambassador’s residence. Dignitaries, experts from the UK, Thai government officials, and multilateral organisations, including UNESCO, came together to celebrate the synergy between the two nations.

Perhaps the highlight of the week was the UK’s first-ever participation at the Techsauce Global Summit, where the GREAT Pavilion featured nine pioneering British AI and data businesses. Over 15,000 tech aficionados, investors, and businesses saw the UK’s commercial capabilities in sectors like agriculture, finance, climate, and more. 

By Adam Judd

A guest article by Thomas Sinclair. Thomas is the editor of the Pembrokeshire Herald.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/08/23/uk-and-thailand-hold-joint-ai-week/

-- THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-08-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

At the top of the home page is a button ChatGPT.  I asked it to translate a sentence from this article; this is its answer; - กิจกรรมที่น่าตื่นเต้นที่เป็นเวลาสี่วันตั้งแต่วันที่ 15 ถึงวันที่ 18 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2566 ซึ่งเป็นการแสดงความเป็นผู้นำระดับโลกของสหราชอาณาจักรในการประยุกต์ใช้ปัญญาประดิษฐ์ (AI).

I don't know how accurate it is.  I have used it to translate one of my published short stories in the hope of finding a Thai market.

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

I didn't realise that the Brits were global leaders in AI. Silly me I thought ChatGP was an American invention. I think I'll ask chatGP whop is the global leader.

Look up Alan Turing.

I didn't realise that the Brits were global leaders in AI. Silly me I thought ChatGPT was an American invention. I think I'll ask chatGPT who is the global leader.

Here is Chat GPTs answer to the question "which nation can be considered to be the global leader in AI?"

"As of now, there isn't a single nation that can be considered the global leader in artificial intelligence (AI). Several countries are actively investing in AI research, development, and deployment. However, the United States and China are often considered the frontrunners in the field, with both countries making significant advancements and actively competing with each other. Other countries such as Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan also have notable AI research and industries. It's important to note that AI development is a global effort, and collaboration between nations is crucial in driving progress in this rapidly evolving field."

11 minutes ago, retarius said:

He died in 1954, they didn't have AI then as far as I am aware; so what is your point?

Turing was the conceptual father of both the modern computer and the idea that computers could be intelligent. Even though sufficient hardware did not exist at that time, he worked out how to teach computers to play chess and predicted one day computers would bet humans at the game.

Most genius ideas start this way, they come from one guy thinking weird things, not from engineering.

Read this:

https://www.britannica.com/technology/artificial-intelligence/The-Turing-test