Cambodia Retired Resident Visa and Bank accounts in Cambodia

Can any one advise how to get Cambodia Retiree Resident visa ? Procedure, costs, time taken and any recommendation of Agents in  phnom penh - captal city as well  where best to stay intially ? Which area is safe and where more expats live ? Also how safe is Cambodian banks for depositing foreign currency deposits in GBP/USD ? Is it easy to take out after maturity of deposit to transfer abroad - out of cambodia ? All help, advise will be appiriciated and I thank all in advance. Please comment.

34 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, may I add a reference.

I also had an ABA account, but the bank withdrew Personal Internet Banking on computers and laptops in favour of smartphones. I now use J Trust Royal Bank which offers and supports Personal Internet Banking on computers and laptops (also smartphones of course). The branch in Siem Reap has just been completely refurbished and the staff extremely helpful. Thank you.

Yes you may, and the lack of ABA internet banking is a concern.  If you still have the ABA account then my suggestion would be to manage this through the app (but SECURELY - using a separate phone, used for this purpose only and rendered useless to anyone else who tries to use the app - pm me if you want details of how to achieve this).  I similarly also have a JTR account, opened many, many years ago when it was ANZR and there was no requirement for any long-term visa in order to open the account, but I have on recent occasions found cash via the JTR ATM's to be inaccessible (more than once - and why does this always happen at the weekend!?), plus there is no two factor authentication to log on to JTR's online banking which is another concern. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is NOT a resident visa, nor is it a retirement visa!!!   Its an Extension same as Thailand

I opened my bank at CAB< Internet banking, works great, can use other atms for free as well:
Opened it with my initial 30 days "ordinary" visa ( cost $35) VOA  , with no additional paperwork, you dont need be on an extension.  

Over 55  get a 1, 3, 6, 12 month extension (ER  6 & 12 are multiple entries)
IF ur UNDER 55 still can get the Ordinary visa and a 3 month extension ( EG) which is technically issued so u cna look for work,  Than you must leave
Banks wont open an account on a tourist visa so dont get one!!!
1 year extension in Kampot /Kep cost $300/year
Very easy to do.

ALSO unlike Thailand, Cambodian banks pay VERY high interest rates ( 7+ % for 1 year deposits!!)

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

Burma Bill "I receive 3 UK pensions which are paid in GBP. These are converted into US$ and credited to my Cambodian bank account."

Can you keep your deposits in USD? And take USD out in cash? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Burma Bill "I receive 3 UK pensions which are paid in GBP. These are converted into US$ and credited to my Cambodian bank account."

Yes.  That is what I do.  Two of my Cambodian bank accounts hold US$ and ATM's in Phnom Penh will dispense US$.  i expect that it is the same in Siem Reap.  Things may be different in other areas, such as Poipet.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Very much so. When I opened my account, the bank (J Trust Royal) set it up as a $ account. Currently, most ATMs in Siem Reap issue only 100$ bills. The days of smaller 50$, 20$ and 10$ bills are more or less over because the Cambodian Government is promoting the Riel. If I want smaller $ bills, I go to my bank and withdraw them over the counter. Although my account is $, I can withdraw Riels from ATMs, or over the counter, for the local family shops and markets where $ are rarely accepted. (same for cashless smartphone apps etc.)

For reference: The ATMs in the Immigration Hall at Siem Reap Airport do issue lower value $ bills so that you can pay the 30$ for a VISA ON ARRIVAL which will take up one page in your passport.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

Looks like Cambodia is way more farang friendly and modern in banking.

Do you visit Thailand often?

If you do is there red tape to return like in Thailand?

A man, 75yrs, who lived in Thailand is living in Kampot now and writes to forums in Europe. He's very happy. Claims "living is 50% of Pattaya". Sounds too good but no reason he's lying.

Edited by GypsyT
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 2:46 PM, uheuhe said:

There is a 14% tax on interest for foreigners

The 14% tax is applicable to non-residents, not "foreigners". If you can prove to the bank that you're a resident (not necessarily citizen/PR holder) then you get the 6% tax rate.

I've been able to convince all but one bank (out of 5 accounts) that I'm a resident and my 6% tax rate has never been questioned since.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, Sheryl said:

In any Cambodian bank, you have a choice of an account in USD or in Cambodial riel.

+ with a Cambodian bank atms u have a choice to be paid out in $$ or Riel
so having a US account is gold ( although interest is less than Riel account)

to pay the 6% vs 14% tax on interest my CAB bank i only had to show a long term extension. 

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Looks like Cambodia is way more farang friendly and modern in banking.

A man, 75yrs, who lived in Thailand is living in Kampot now and writes to forums in Europe. He's very happy. Claims "living is 50% of Pattaya". Sounds too good but no reason he's lying.

BS:
i recently lived in Kep for 16 months and previously and now live in Phuket

The ONLY things cheaper in Cambodia are Cigs, alcohol, some brands of cereal, peanut butter, a few other foods and cheap plastic toys from china

90% of everything else cost more!@!!

Yes $300 for a 1 year extension is a good deal as you than have really no interaction with immigration ( let an agent do it) 

I would be interested in getting some better interest than the crazy low rates Thai banks are paying.  I have a USA passport.  Can I still open bank accounts in Cambodia?   I know many/most countries do not want to bother with USA customers due to the reporting requirements of the USA govt.  I opened several Thai banks about 12 years ago and back then the  Thai banks didn't care so much about USA reporting laws.  How could I move the money to Cambodia ?   I have money in Thai banks and some on the internet in crypto.  Crypto coin transfers  would be good if any of the banks would accept them. Would hand carrying $25K in cash be a problem ?  Would the Cambodia banks question the 'cash'?  Thanks for any advice or info. 

Edited by how241

4 hours ago, how241 said:

I would be interested in getting some better interest than the crazy low rates Thai banks are paying.  I have a USA passport.  Can I still open bank accounts in Cambodia?   I know many/most countries do not want to bother with USA customers due to the reporting requirements of the USA govt.  I opened several Thai banks about 12 years ago and back then the  Thai banks didn't care so much about USA reporting laws.  How could I move the money to Cambodia ?   I have money in Thai banks and some on the internet in crypto.  Crypto coin transfers  would be good if any of the banks would accept them. Would hand carrying $25K in cash be a problem ?  Would the Cambodia banks question the 'cash'?  Thanks for any advice or info. 

Most Cambodian banks require either a long term visa or work contract to open an account. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 10:44 PM, GypsyT said:

No, just once in November 2022 to Chiang Mai. The pandemic restrictions (especially in Thailand) prevented earlier visits. I hope to visit Chiang Mai again this coming November 2023, flying with Air Asia Fly-Thru from Siem Reap to CNX via DMK.

No red tape on return to Cambodia if you have a valid passport and visa. One has to complete another "Arrival/Departure" card part of which is stapled to your passport for your next departure.

For reference: The new Siem Reap International Airport is due to open this coming October 2023 but is 50 kms from the city and could potentially add extra travel costs. Check with your hotel etc. regarding pick-up and drop-off facilities. A monorail system has been agreed with the Chinese, but for the future.

• Thanks 1

"but bringing cash, unless totally new bills from the US, can be a minefield."

I've changed THB back to USD at Super Rich. They had new $ 100 USD bills.

They were so new I was worried they were not for real but all was OK.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I read more I like - Cambodia ????

"In Cambodia, all you need to do is purchase a visa-on-arrival at the airport by filling out a short form, providing two passport photos, and paying $35 for a “business” or “ordinary” visa, which will be valid for one month.

Once you are in the country all you have to do is extend your visa for a one-year period—at a cost of less than $300—which allows you to live in the country and come and go at your pleasure, without the stringent income requirements needed by many other Southeast Asian countries. As long as you behave yourself, the authorities are happy to welcome another foreign guest to their country to support the local economy."

Gotta give a go. Starting w 6 or 12m visa w multi entries for less than $ 300.