Opinion: Dear Pheu Thai, please stop your pantomime

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Politics has shown itself to be a charade, perpetuated by the corrupt. If you need evidence, look no further than the past week’s developments. How else can we explain the Pheu Thai Party, after fighting their arch-enemies for nearly two decades, now suddenly joining hands with them on the grand stage of political theater?

Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm only a guest here, and not to take this charade too personally as it his minimal affect.

I do however feel sorry for those who are Thai nationals, want change and have to put up with this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry the culprit in all this is the military appointed senate, that was introduced to thwart democratic elections. It forced the hand of MF who refused to go along and so was left the PT to clean up the mess. Nothing undemocratic about it. And best of all, OT will get to appoint the next senate, and presumably stack it with those favourable to its party. MF was a one hit wonder, and will not sustain its success over the longer haul. It was only successful because they were unknown quantities, so all you saw were good points and not the bad.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'm an MFP supporter and I hope they sweep in to power next time round.

But meantime we have a mixed bag of people coming to power. I'm realistic enough to recognize that the world is grey, not black & white. So I shall judge the new government on its performance over time, as any reasonable person should do.

As to the new PM, his background & expressed views on the need to reduce inequality suggest he at least understands some basic issues that need addressing. If he's genuine, he'll need to act quickly & ruthlessly while the going's good and the dinosaurs are feeling great pain: new constitution, economic measures to spread wealth outside BKK, decent social security, decent education system for all, renewed infrastructure ... the list is endless and constitutes 50 years' work ahead, all of it overdue to transform a 3rd World country into a 2nd World one.

• Like 1

The main objective has got to be for any party to run a civilian democratically elected government properly is to get those dinosaurs out of the Senate or they will just continue blocking any moves forward for the country that doesn't suit them or their agenda.

It's a total, complete, corrupt mess.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, retarius said:

Sorry the culprit in all this is the military appointed senate, that was introduced to thwart democratic elections. It forced the hand of MF who refused to go along and so was left the PT to clean up the mess. Nothing undemocratic about it. And best of all, OT will get to appoint the next senate, and presumably stack it with those favourable to its party. MF was a one hit wonder, and will not sustain its success over the longer haul. It was only successful because they were unknown quantities, so all you saw were good points and not the bad.

PT are a minority in their own government. Plus their owner is 'a captive guest' of the authorities. They will not get to appoint, or better, arrange elections for the next senators without support from MF.

Edited by bannork
  • Like 1