Penang Consulate inquiry

This lengthy thread can be summed up with the following question: How easy is it to obtain a tourist visa in Penang for someone who has already been in Thailand for a year on visa-exempt stamps?

I am thinking about heading to Penang next week to apply for a visa but am hoping to first receive some guidance. My situation is slightly complicated.

I am an American married to a Thai. I have been living in Thailand since July 2022, using only visa exempt stamps with 30-day extensions, plus three 60-day extensions for visiting Thai family. I have never overstayed. I have tried multiple times to apply for a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai, but was basically told that I should apply outside the country.

I had intended to apply in Penang, but they apparently require the funds to be seasoned for at least 60 days prior to applying. So I would like to first apply for a tourist visa, which, when combined with the family visit extension, would give me 5 months to sort out my long-term visa. 

Given my situation, and history in Thailand, am I likely to receive a tourist visa in Penang? We live in our own house and will be driving our own vehicle, so I can't show an onward ticket or a receipt for my accommodation. Obviously these things can be obtained, but I prefer to be completely transparent.

I don't want to find myself in a situation where I'm denied a visa, then I'm trapped in Malaysia because I've used up my two border crossings for the year. Yes, I know I could always fly into the country, but this is not a great solution for many reasons.

If I'm unlikely to receive a visa in Penang, I will make the long drive to Savannakhet, where I'm told it's very easy to obtain a one-year non-immigrant O visa.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Like 2

I strongly recommend that you either:

1. Bite the bullet and go to Savannakhet, intending to apply for the visa on a Tuesday or Wednesday to avoid horrendous crowds; or
  2. Make an appointment for the Thai embassy in Vientiane, and go there for a single entry Non O visa. To reach Vientiane, you can fly direct to Vientiane or via Udon Thani, if you want to avoid a long overland journey.

From some parts of Southern Thailand (for instance Samui) there are visa run companies that organise trips to Penang for visas. If wanting to risk trying in Penang, I would recommend trying to use one of those companies. They should examine your passport, and tell you whether, based on recent experience, you would be able to get your desired visa there.

7 hours ago, scroggins said:

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I take this to mean Penang is not a good place to get a tourist visa with my history of stamps. Savannakhet it is then...

If you have a history as a long stay tourist, do not try for a tourist visa in Savannakhet. Until a few months ago, it was a good place to apply. They are now very strict on those applying for tourist visas, with many denials. It is still an excellent choice for most other kinds of visas.

If you can make an appointment, I strongly advise you to try for the visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane. As long as you meet their requirements, denied tourist visas there are rare.

Thanks to you both. I should have clarified my intention is to apply for a non-imm O visa in Savannakhet. The tourist visa would only have been if I went to Penang, because I can't meet the 60-day seasoning requirement with my current stay.

Is the consulate in Kota Baru better for tourist visas, by any chance? I am assuming no.

1 hour ago, scroggins said:

Is the consulate in Kota Baru better for tourist visas, by any chance? I am assuming no.

That is an excellent question. I keep hoping someone will try and give recent feedback. There is a visa run company on Samui who has contacts at the Kota Bharu consulate. He uses the contact to verify that visas will be issued before taking them on his visa runs to Kota Bharu.

• Thumbs Up 1