£10,000 for a tourist visa now? Part 2.

11 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

...Of course it might be a scam but there's defintely not enough evidence here to get the UK police involved as others have suggested.

The UK police, ie Action Fraud, which is the national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime and collects reports about fraud on behalf of the police in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, has already been involved. Please see this earlier post in this topic:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1304648-£10000-for-a-tourist-visa-now-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=18302452

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is a good point. However, there are other indications that all is not well.

For at least the last two months, it has been impossible to reach the consular section at the London embassy by phone. Not a single call is taken for the whole day. Emails to [email protected] notifying them of the problem do not receive a response that suggests the email is received by the consular officials in the form it was sent.

If it was the result of a keylogger, that implies some very curious coincidences. The phishing emails are apparently being sent from Thailand (though a server on Amazon in Singapore) using the mass marketing software Taximail developed in Thailand.

Fair points.

It would still be good to hear from anyone else who has applied via the website in UK over the past (say) 2 months whether successfully or not.

My last application was in January this year (2023) and was successful - that was for a SETV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

The emails that are a concern come from mass mailing software. Such software can validly be used when sending automated acknowledgements, but never when asking for extra financial information. Even partially automated requests for further information ought to identify you by name and identify the sender It would request a reply using a correct reply to address, and have a subject line that has a reference code. It will never tell you to send sensitive information to a different email address (which is easily mistyped) and bounce messages if you reply. [Using a generic bounce address as the reply to is helpful, though, for getting scam emails through spam filters.]

Over and above that, and assuming horrendous administrative practices, the e-visa system has a specific email address that is supposed to be used. The email address they are asking you to use was legitimate years ago, and can still be used for visa enquiries of a general nature. It is not part of the e-visa system.

The evisa system operates  on a central basis and requests for further information will come from a central source. The actual applications are in fact handled by the local embassy so any request for further information will need to be sent to the local embassy. On receipt the embassy will may a response similar to that below, note the reference to online status. At the end of the day the application status will reflect what has transpired, something the OP has preferred to avoid.

This thread has got out of hand based on hearsay, wouldn't be out of the question for someone to overlook what has been lying in the junk folder.

visa doc repl_Page_1.jpg

• Confused 1

The whole evisa system is a disaster waiting to happen. Thai websites are constantly being hacked yet they expect you to upload all the documents any scammer or identity fraudster would need. I'm sure all the documents of anyone who has used it are for sale on the dark web. I'm glad I redacted the account numbers in the documents I sent.

The big question is, what to do if you currently live in the UK and need to apply for a tourist visa? Visa exempt is not a good option due to my history.
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 12:08 PM, ewelve said:

Firstly let me thank the great help im getting from this site from Brit Tim its so appreciated

As most of you know if you have been reading my post, i have applied for a Tourist multiple entry visa. The Embassy website says you have to show 60,000 baht in the bank.

I have sent firstly my everyday Lloyds account with £4000 about 170-180,000 baht in my account. I also sent my Thai bank account details with 320,000 baht in it.

I received a request from the Embassy for another £10,000 guarantee on top of the information i have already sent them. Then by good fortune i was informed this was a scam by Brit Tim on this site.

I have tried for 4 days now to talk to someone at the Embassy on the Visa line and the Consular line but im always left ln hold for exactly 2 hours then cut off.

I have emailed them on a few occasions to ask if the original site on the net for E-visas is real, they have not replied to the requests.

They (If it was them) have sent me two different address to send copies of my bank statements [email protected] and [email protected].

i have sent another email to the Embassy last night asking please confirm the Official website on the net for E-Visa'a is their site but again no replies. I have sent these emails directly to the embassy from government information to confirm that im sending to the right email address for the Thai Embassy.

Phew this is long.

Upshot is i have just received yet another email from the "Embassy" saying i have not sent them enough information and they are cancelling my application and keeping the money. 

Something is very wrong at the Embassy, i applied to them only and therefore the problem must be within their site

All together i have sent information proving i have i have at least 910,000 baht in my two UK accounts im not sending anymore details regarding any monies more i may have.

This problem could be solved if it was possible to have some kind of contact with the Embassy but its impossible for me, does anyone out there know a way i can do it, i have called constantly the Visa and consulate offices over the past 4 days and left on hold each time for 2 hours then the call is cut off, then no-one contacts me by email with my name in the header its just dear applicant which Brit Tim and my bank says is a big no-no.

Does anyone know a way i can make contact, i dont want to argue about the price proof etc etc its already been done?

I also want to point out that this could happen to anyone trying to apply for a visa. 

I am attaching the latest email and also a screen shot of the website i used to apply

Thai Embassy London <[email protected]>

To:

You

Fri 25/08/2023 10:12

Thank you for your email.

Many apologies, we cannot proceed with your application because The applicant does not provide enough evidence.

We have to cancel your application. 

(All visa fees are non-refundable.) However, you can still enter Thailand with a 30 days visa exemption Scheme for UK passport holders.

Kind regards,

The visa team

IMG_20230825_115221_511.jpg

It appears that this Embassy has not changed its work ethics and processes! I gave up trying after several attempts back in 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

The whole evisa system is a disaster waiting to happen. Thai websites are constantly being hacked yet they expect you to upload all the documents any scammer or identity fraudster would need. I'm sure all the documents of anyone who has used it are for sale on the dark web. I'm glad I redacted the account numbers in the documents I sent.

The big question is, what to do if you currently live in the UK and need to apply for a tourist visa? Visa exempt is not a good option due to my history.

At the current time, I do not know what to suggest. A possible solution would be to make an appointment at the Thai embassy in Vientiane, and fly there before entering Thailand.

The current situation is intolerable. All consulates (official and honorary) in the UK have been closed, ensuring there is no independent path to at least communicate with consular staff. It is impossible to communicate with the London embassy by phone. There is no way of knowing whether emails sent to the London embassy are actually being received unfiltered by embassy staff. Finally, we have a situation where there are very strong indications that attempting to use the e-visa site will result in identity theft.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Fair points.

It would still be good to hear from anyone else who has applied via the website in UK over the past (say) 2 months whether successfully or not.

My last application was in January this year (2023) and was successful - that was for a SETV.

I agree with this.

Note that successful visa applications would not change my opinion that messages to [email protected] are being intercepted by bad actors. The e-visa system itself is still operating, and applications are being seen by the UK embassy. It would be in the scammers best interests for visa applications to generally be successful as long as this only happens after they have launched their phishing attacks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was applying METV October last year.

Got mail from [email protected] 

Needed to send travel plan. They started with "dear applicant", so that would be normal.

The form however I had to send to my Thai embassy(Dutch site address), but quite special address :

Dear Applicant,

Please submit the following document(s): 1. travel plans https://hague.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/e-visa-categories-fee-and-required-documents Please send the document(s) to [email protected] and mention your passport number to match your current application

*Please note this is an auto generated e-mail. Please do NOT reply to this email.

Best wishes,
E-Visa Team

I cant tell if London has another setup. Also if this address (for Dutch)  is only would be for travel plan or anything else, due to visum.

After sending they replied with this:

Dear E-Visa applicant,

Thank you for sending the requested document(s).  We have received them in good order and we will proceed with your application.  An application could take 3-7 working days.  In some cases, an application may take longer than 7 working days.

Kind regards,

In the case where applicants fail to submit required documents or additional documents requested by the Embassy within 45 days from the date of submission, the applications will be cancelled without prior notice.  An application processing fee (visa fee) will NOT refunded.
Consular Section
Royal Thai Embassy
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 123
2585 EZ The Hague, NL
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel:      +31 (0) 70 3450766  ext. 219

So they confirmed receiving it. Again, I dont know if London does the same, logically you would expect a standard for all embassies. But probably not, as you have a total different email address.

[email protected] So is this address right then? Did they made an error?

I see your address is then (also) a contact address for visa on the London site. That would be a general address and they dont do anything with it? 

I checked London and The Hague sites, different. Try to find the edu mail address, not to be found.

So it is a specialized visa handling section with own address and nowhere shown?! London has the same?

I cant tell.

Is there another email address mentioned in your receiving mail?

Note: I didnt have to send it to [email protected]. Also they mention documents, so means more issues involving visum are handled(like money?)

As I first thought it was weird. Why send it to a [email protected] (?), as [email protected] is handling the visum?  I copied the received message from [email protected], complete in the answering email to the edu. It seems to be working, as fast after that I had approval. No clue where edu stands for.

I know my case is not about money showing, as i did that in visum application and was correct (seems) in september last year. But METV, travel plan(must) is NOT in visum application and was handled later as I wrote.

Incredible why this not fit in the application. Again a sort of verification, double check of email?

Extra annoying email for this and making you feel insecure. I knew, it is a demand, so had it, but NOT asked for in application, but extra bla bla bla. 

Note:

I used auto fill in the application (for address) but that one changed also my name in first box.

So be aware if you use google auto fill.!!

Didnt expected that and further didnt check all from start after finishing all. How dumb. Reject.

Didnt matter I told them (they replied !), this box is so important, so you should have been warned.

You do get a warning about middle name which I dont have.

That box is auto fill by reading your passport, your name, but can be changed and no warning.

Edited by xtrnuno41
additional txt

4 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Was applying METV October last year.

Got mail from [email protected] 

Needed to send travel plan. They started with "dear applicant", so that would be normal.

The form however I had to send to my Thai embassy(Dutch site address), but quite special address :

Dear Applicant,

Please submit the following document(s): 1. travel plans https://hague.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/e-visa-categories-fee-and-required-documents Please send the document(s) to [email protected] and mention your passport number to match your current application

*Please note this is an auto generated e-mail. Please do NOT reply to this email.

Best wishes,
E-Visa Team

I cant tell if London has another setup. Also if this address (for Dutch)  is only would be for travel plan or anything else, due to visum.

After sending they replied with this:

Dear E-Visa applicant,

Thank you for sending the requested document(s).  We have received them in good order and we will proceed with your application.  An application could take 3-7 working days.  In some cases, an application may take longer than 7 working days.

Kind regards,

In the case where applicants fail to submit required documents or additional documents requested by the Embassy within 45 days from the date of submission, the applications will be cancelled without prior notice.  An application processing fee (visa fee) will NOT refunded.
Consular Section
Royal Thai Embassy
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 123
2585 EZ The Hague, NL
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel:      +31 (0) 70 3450766  ext. 219

So they confirmed receiving it. Again, I dont know if London does the same, logically you would expect a standard for all embassies. But probably not, as you have a total different email address.

[email protected] So is this address right then? Did they made an error?

I see your address is then (also) a contact address for visa on the London site. That would be a general address and they dont do anything with it? 

I checked London and The Hague sites, different. Try to find the edu mail address, not to be found.

So it is a specialized visa handling section with own address and nowhere shown?! London has the same?

I cant tell.

Is there another email address mentioned in your receiving mail?

Note: I didnt have to send it to [email protected]. Also they mention documents, so means more issues involving visum are handled(like money?)

As I first thought it was weird. Why send it to a [email protected] (?), as [email protected] is handling the visum?  I copied the received message from [email protected], complete in the answering email to the edu. It seems to be working, as fast after that I had approval. No clue where edu stands for.

I know my case is not about money showing, as i did that in visum application and was correct (seems) in september last year. But METV, travel plan(must) is NOT in visum application and was handled later as I wrote.

Incredible why this not fit in the application. Again a sort of verification, double check of email?

Extra annoying email for this and making you feel insecure. I knew, it is a demand, so had it, but NOT asked for in application, but extra bla bla bla. 

Note:

I used auto fill in the application (for address) but that one changed also my name in first box.

So be aware if you use google auto fill.!!

Didnt expected that and further didnt check all from start after finishing all. How dumb. Reject.

Didnt matter I told them (they replied !), this box is so important, so you should have been warned.

You do get a warning about middle name which I dont have.

That box is auto fill by reading your passport, your name, but can be changed and no warning.

This was also pretty strange. I assume the Dear Applicant email was coming through Taximail, and the email address is strange, but the request for travel plans does not look suspicious.

I am scratching my head trying to figure out why, even if they want to use mass mailing software, they do not set it up so you just reply (through the normal email address) with the Subject header already preset to ensure it gets tied to the correct application. This is all so error prone. If the system was left to a high school student to set up, it could not be this bad.

• Thumbs Up 2