Next Generation of Expats

LaosLover

2 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Probably no change in 20 years.  Still whining about how everything delt them a bad hand in life.  Getting by on barebones income.  And major hobby is drinking booze. 

Sorry to hear that, but chin-up, you never know what's around the corner..........Crack-on............. :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:49 AM, Trippy said:

I wish that was true, but unfortunately Aussies and brits love to gossip about the US. Just look at this forum, there's just too many topics about the US, or if I turn on Aussie tv, what happens in the US is a large portion of the newscast. I just wish everyone would mind their own business. 

It's got me stumped. I mean, the US keeps itself to itself and rarely pushes its personality outside its borders. Finding a US citizen in a crowded room is so difficult because they tend to be the timid, quiet ones, sat in a corner keeping themselves to themselves, with their voices drowned out by citizens of every other country.

Go figure.

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2023 at 5:55 AM, Furioso said:

Follow the money. The wooly mammoth west is getting poorer and poorer every year. Asia wants this to be their century, and so far it is, except for Russia their prospects seem bleak. But Russian's pride on being strong and resilient so I won't quite count them out.

In 10 years there will be A LOT LESS westerners here. In 15 years there will only be legitimately rich westerners here. 

I think that whole Asian Century thing got way ahead of itself. It seems nobody has any staying power recently.

China is teetering on the edge. Yesterday, the stock of major RE developer Evergrande fell 87%. In one day. Country Garden isn't far behind. Millions of Chinese pre-paid for condos that now will never be built, and the bankrupt RE developers are not going to return any money. POOF ! Wealth evaporates, as happens when debt isn't repaid. Not sure how the CCP is going to address this issue, but if they mess it up, expect some serious social unrest in the Middle Kingdom.

The Japanese yen is trading at 146/$ and the Japan economy isn't looking good. Korea is pretty stable, but no great shakes there either.

The US economy is the leader among the G7 in terms of growth, but it's far away from Thailand and the youth do seem to not only have a different view of mongering (a major draw of previous generations, even if everyone on AN came for the temples), but are not as drawn to the 'exotic East' as earlier generations. Central and South America seem more of a draw. Spanish culture, not any Asian culture, is the current vogue.

Now owing to sheer numbers, a South Asian wave is possible. In a country of 1.3 billion, India is going to have a decent size middle class. Perhaps Indians are the future expat wave to Thailand. The Russian wave is likely temporary, especially with the ruble falling again. Those who wanted out have left Russia, and its economy is doing quite poorly.

There will still be a mix of expats from Europe and the Americas, but I would bet Indians are the next major wave.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

The Russian wave is likely temporary, especially with the ruble falling again. Those who wanted out have left Russia, and its economy is doing quite poorly.

There will still be a mix of expats from Europe and the Americas, but I would bet Indians are the next major wave.

Agree with all of your points.

When I got here a year ago, Russians were 10 a penny in the pot stores. Now, never seen. Those who could have already left, I met a guy yesterday from Siberia who had never smoked pot before. He said that his town was mostly empty of young males.

Thailand will always be a draw because it's the East Meets West fantasy, so comfortably offered up. It was THE hedonism flavor, now it's one of many. For Indians, it's like their Carribean. 

And The Japanese too. I live in the upper soi numbers of Nimman. Restaurants are decorated to make this feel like mini-Kyoto.

Every last new business being readied for the tourist season is oriented towards them. I can eat sponge cake-ish little desserts in 4 places within 5 minutes walk.

Edited by LaosLover

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

When I was making fun of passport bro's on another board, PI was like 4 to 1 over Thailand.  

Their logic was that it was much easier to date doctors and dentists there.

I guess beach places like Boracay and Duamegette would be ok for retirement,but as I said if your a sexpat Philippines won't suit you 

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

and down with taxes

My former state income tax now pays for rent and health insurance for 2 people.

Previously, all I got for that was the roads cleared during the winter.

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

And The Japanese too. I live in the upper soi numbers of Nimman. Restaurants are decorated to make this feel like mini-Kyoto.

Every last new business being readied for the tourist season is oriented towards them. I can eat sponge cake-ish little desserts in 4 places within 5 minutes walk.

Also, many places are using those air conditioned room enclosures now. They are for Japanese, Chinese etc that don’t like eating in the open air with fans. I call them Covid incubators.

I won’t go in there ????

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:29 AM, Lacessit said:

Impossible to forecast 20 years ahead. Tell me how many Communist 5-year plans actually worked as intended.

I don't know about America. Given what is happening in Australia, IMO it's quite possible the influx from there will increase.

I am currently in Australia, and I am heartily sick of the sight of fat bums on women.

Just catching up to the big fat males over there.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Just catching up to the big fat males over there.

It's a moot point whether Australia or Thailand have more as a percentage in that category. Selecting only expats in Thailand, if you prefer.

37 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

My former state income tax now pays for rent and health insurance for 2 people.

Previously, all I got for that was the roads cleared during the winter.

Yea, city (land, house, school tax), county, state (income, sales), fed (income, sales, medicare & SS) taxes.  

School tax:  I got the 'free' education, from my parents paying a pittance of a school tax.  Enter corruption & 'school "districts", and same house and now school tax $3000 USD a year, and I never had kids ????  School went from being one of top in state, to 2nd from the bottom.  When I bought house from parents, total tax was $78 all in.  When got rid of house, knocking on $4k a year.  To live in a house, already paid for.  Main financial reason I'm in TH, basically no RE taxes.

City & county: maintained the road, yea.

Fed: foreign aid and defense from all those attacking forces.  Corporate security forces overseas.

SS:  paying for my 'entitlement' that employer & I paid into the fund, that hey misappropriated/stole.

ME ... getting every Tax Dollar I ever paid into, and then some, the past 23 yrs of being a blight on society.  Sadly, had to sue to get that ????

On 8/26/2023 at 9:22 AM, bob smith said:

hope they don't forget to pack their guns! they'll need 'em at some point thats for sure!

I've lived in Mexico for about 5 years. Your statement presumes a lot. Most areas of Mexico are perfectly safe from cartel action. Robberies and burglary is higher than Thailand. 

Being killed on the roads in Mexico is far less of an issue than here in Thailand 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:11 AM, LaosLover said:

You have a zany hard on about this. Suspected diagnosis: Trump Trash.

But I like your posts, so I was raised in the New York area and lived all over Uh-murr-ika. Uh-murr-ika is a world wide-loved brand, much more than America is.

When I was raised, calling America America was very much part of the vernacular: that song in West Side Story, Ray Charles's huge version of the song, Hits' by Neil Diamond and Jay and the (dare I say it?) Americans.

And let's not forget Lee Greenwood, who wrote the Trump Trash national anthem.

Why you think calling America America is some kind of slight or diss is by no means anything you should feel the need to rush to explain.

Born in North Eastern New Jersey from Brooklyn parents. Always called America , America.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:29 AM, Lacessit said:

Impossible to forecast 20 years ahead. Tell me how many Communist 5-year plans actually worked as intended.

I don't know about America. Given what is happening in Australia, IMO it's quite possible the influx from there will increase.

I am currently in Australia, and I am heartily sick of the sight of fat bums on women.

Give the mens bums a try then.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, JimTripper said:

I’m from the US, the USA or the United States, not America. We don’t call it America in the USA. That could be Canada, or even South America.

Start naming things correctly so people talk correctly and it does not sound strange to an American like your talking from a textbook or a history book.

Out of curiosity where are you from in the US? You talk kind of strange.

Your right about the younger generation. SE Asia and Thailand is old school now. I think it always kind of was. For younger expats I thought it was mostly backpackers and gap year’s. People that wanted to do Thailand, maybe Vietnam, get a little grungy, then fly home and finish that Ivy League degree.

Do you like living in America?

On 8/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, JimTripper said:

Actually, “America” is a trump trash type of thing to say. “Making America Great Again!” Type of thing.

Its basically over patriotism.

Me, west coast near San Francisco. Liberal.

What colour is your tent?