Organ donor status on Thai driver license?

Sandboxer

How does one add him/herself to the organ donor database/system here, specifically in case of a fatal accident? Does this choice even exist? Entry on Thai driver license?

In the US and a few other countries I've lived in I've always had it on my license (as well as a DNR directive in case of brain death).

I'll assume that due to various nonsensical beliefs/faiths, organ donation is nowhere near as common here as in countries/cultures where the population is more scientifically educated? But still, surely there's a way? Or am I being a total dumbazz asking an obvious TiT question?

PS. Asking for a friend only. I personally have no desire to donate here unless it's a direct living donation i.e. I have control over who gets what (no way I'd let any of my organs get transplanted into some near dead moron who just caused a fatal accident while drunk/excessive speeding and as a result of the crash needs a new whatever - I'd only donate to someone who is not a waste of air) .

Edited by Sandboxer

Theoretically, there shouldn't be anything on a driving license - being an organ donor should be assumed for any death unless there has been official notification otherwise....

... in an ideal world of course. 

In the UK, the wish to become an organ donor in the event of ones demise used to be stated on the Driving Licence. However, the UK now employs an 'opt out' system whereby all adults are considered to have agreed to be an organ donor unless they have recorded a decision not to be.

Thailand would to well to use the very same system - Of course, this requires consideration from those in positions of decision making power and these people don't even care enough to do much about the horrific road fatality stats, so one has to question why they'd be bothered about something as important is being an organ donor - I very much doubt any such consideration or thought has crossed their mind [of those in decision making power] even once.

Thus: The best option to go ahead with would be ensure that loved ones are well aware of any such wishes. 

• Like 1