OTP while abroad

BenStark

36 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

If your Thai number rings, don't answer it.

And turn mobile data off so you don't use up any credit inadvertently. 

OR buy a roaming package for the convenience of not having to rely on WiFi like a loso ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

To receive an OTP on my Thai SIM while in Europe, will I get charged roaming costs?

Not if you get things set up correctly. 

1) Enable WiFi calling.

2) Keep the SIM in your phone but use Airplane mode (connect to Wifi).

You can receive SMS OTP from your Thai Banks Credit cards etc (as you would in Thailand). 

IF you put in a local SIM (not your Thai number), then you will not receive Wifi Calling or SMS's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

There is no charge for receiving SMS. Ensure roaming is activated before you depart Thailand. If your Thai number rings, don't answer it. Works perfectly for me from Bangkok Bank to UK. 

If you have a prepaid sim, even with all the data roaming OFF, those annoying sms do get charged abroad....with TRUE anyhow.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you put in a local SIM (not your Thai number), then you will not receive Wifi Calling or SMS's.

Unless you put in a local SIM and a Thai SIM with a dual SIM phone. The Thai SIM works over wifi. Works where there is no cell phone cover also, such as Wifi from satellite connection.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

And turn mobile data off so you don't use up any credit inadvertently. 

OR buy a roaming package for the convenience of not having to rely on WiFi like a loso ????

I move my Thai SIM(s) into my back-up mobile and use an unlimited data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts SIM in my main mobile. I can then use it as a hotspot to run my back-up mobile and laptop whilst abroad.

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I move my Thai SIM(s) into my back-up mobile and use an unlimited data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts SIM in my main mobile. I can then use it as a hotspot to run my back-up mobile and laptop whilst abroad.

Interesting. This 'unlimited' roaming SIM got a name? I haven't been out of Thailand since retiring here at the end of 2021 I haven't had the need to research it yet.

1 hour ago, Sigmund said:

If you have a prepaid sim, even with all the data roaming OFF, those annoying sms do get charged abroad....with TRUE anyhow.

Bangkok Bank have my True pre-paid mobile number. I haven't noticed any reduction in my credit balance when they send OTP's whilst I'm abroad. However, I will now keep an eye on that. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Enable WiFi calling.

You can receive SMS OTP from your Thai Banks Credit cards etc (as you would in Thailand). 

That’s ridiculous. There are no costs associated with receiving SMS in Europe when utilising a Thai SIM via International Roaming. WiFi Calling can be useful in it’s own right, but absolutely not necessary unless one lives in an area with no mobile phone signal. 

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Interesting. This 'unlimited' roaming SIM got a name? I haven't been out of Thailand since retiring here at the end of 2021 I haven't had the need to research it yet.

He’s not referring to a Thai SIM. He’s referring to using a local SIM to create a Hotspot and then using the Hotspot to ‘power’ the ‘back-up phone’ containing the Thai SIM/s. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Bangkok Bank have my True pre-paid mobile number. I haven't noticed any reduction in my credit balance when they send OTP's whilst I'm abroad. However, I will now keep an eye on that. Thank you. 

It’s something else eating his credit, not OTP. Could be chargeable SMS from a dodgy promo company. You can get Truemove H to reimburse you if you didn’t subscribe to them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

will it work the other way round, i.e. if i have a uk sim here can i receive OTOP numbers from a UK bank?

Yes. If the SIM is activated for International Roaming before you leave the U.K. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

'Smarty' SIM (UK) purchased in advance of my departure from Thailand. I use it whilst in the UK hence no roaming required for me. Apparently, it allows unlimited calls and texts to UK from the EU. Data is restricted to 12GB per month however. 

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s something else eating his credit, not OTP. Could be chargeable SMS from a dodgy promo company. You can get Truemove H to reimburse you if you didn’t subscribe to them.

Many thanks for your explanation. Most useful information!

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

'Smarty' SIM (UK) purchased in advance of my departure from Thailand. I use it whilst in the UK hence no roaming required for me. Apparently, it allows unlimited calls and texts to UK from the EU. Data is restricted to 12GB per month however. 

Gotcha. I thought you might have been taking about something you could buy here in Thailand for use around the world. All I've seen are less than generous roaming packages from AIS and True. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NextG said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Enable WiFi calling.

Expand  

That’s ridiculous. There are no costs associated with receiving SMS in Europe when utilising a Thai SIM via International Roaming. WiFi Calling can be useful in it’s own right, but absolutely not necessary unless one lives in an area with no mobile phone signal. 

I know you love arguing with me..

However, what I have described is exactly how it works.

56 minutes ago, NextG said:

How much do you pay for roaming ??? 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know you love arguing with me..

However, what I have described is exactly how it works.

No, you have described the WiFi Calling function. Receiving SMS costs nothing in Europe and the U.K. the normal way. 

3 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I have an AIS SIM in my dual SIM phone. Data is turned off but obviously the SIM must be enabled. I receive SMS messages from Bangkok Bank all over the world including places like Nigeria, Ghana, India, UK, Spain etc. No charge.

My experience:

- Already had AIS post pay account.

- Spoke to AIS, they suggested:

• Start roaming, but also activate their facility to ensure total fees for roaming per month never greater then zero Baht. Both items super easy to set up in less than a minute.

- And I kept the AIS monthly account going, cheapest package (about 430Baht a month) got on line AIS monthly bill and paid immediately.

- Went to Australia for 2 years, started new account with Telstra, got new Tesltra mobile number and new Telstra SIM.

- When I wanted an OTP from K bank or BBL change back to the AIS SIM card, then set up the transaction on my K Bank or BBL internet banking and submit.

- Within 2 seconds the AIS drop down appeared with OTP from the bank.  I inserted the OTP into the transaction and submit.

Worked every time.

- Revert back to Telstra SIM card.

- Used the above several times every month for 2 years, worked perfect every time. Never got even 1 Baht in additional charges from AIS. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic but might be worth knowing. I have a Smarty sim with  a UK number. When I am in Thailand I divert the number to my UK VOIP landline number (using an app I can recieve the diverted calls to my mobile on this number as long as I have an internet connection (ie does not use the sim) BUT SMS do NOT get diverted (they use a differnt channel I think) so any OTPs that insist on sending to a mobile (not all do - some will send to my VOIP landline with a voice call) actually will arrive on the mobile - However Smarty does charge for recieving an SMS whilst in Thailand (as far as I am aware not included in their "worldwide raoming" offer but only 50p I think)

19 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Slightly off topic but might be worth knowing. I have a Smarty sim with  a UK number. When I am in Thailand I divert the number to my UK VOIP landline number (using an app I can recieve the diverted calls to my mobile on this number as long as I have an internet connection (ie does not use the sim) BUT SMS do NOT get diverted (they use a differnt channel I think) so any OTPs that insist on sending to a mobile (not all do - some will send to my VOIP landline with a voice call) actually will arrive on the mobile - However Smarty does charge for recieving an SMS whilst in Thailand (as far as I am aware not included in their "worldwide raoming" offer but only 50p I think)

I haven't used my Smarty SIM outside UK so can't really advise. However, under charges for Thailand it clearly states that receiving SMS is free. I know that receiving SMS is a major hurdle for VOIP services. The only VOIP service that I have found that provides a virtual UK mobile number at very low cost (£12 per annum) and that also receives SMS is 'VYKE'. I've used them for two years without any problems.  

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I have an AIS SIM in my dual SIM phone. Data is turned off but obviously the SIM must be enabled. I receive SMS messages from Bangkok Bank all over the world including places like Nigeria, Ghana, India, UK, Spain etc. No charge.

What is the key code to punch into you phone to set up global roaming with AIS?