Pattaya Speedboat Operators Engage in Wild Viral Brawl at Bali Hai Pier Arguing Over Tourists

webfact

Just now, sambum said:

"........they just fight and injure and kill each other."

You obviously don't keep up with the news much!

I guess I should have written mostly just.... But injuring and killing foreigners is probably less that 1% of the number they afflict upon themselves.

7 hours ago, grain said:

Short memories. It wasn't that long ago there were no tourists. No income. Their businesses were boarded up and bars/restaurants empty. Thais were sleeping on the pavements. Long lines of people at Pattaya beach to receive handout meals and a bottle of water. 

Yeh. Where is the humilty. Ironically, queueing up at the Bali Hai pier as well. https://www.facebook.com/siamcourt.stephencharles/videos/368460618242325

Koh Larn is not worth the trip anymore.  It used to be a very nice quaint place in the 70's like most other nice touristy places in Thailand.  Most have now been totally over run and destroyed by tons of tourists and less than friendly locals. 

We the Tourists never see what punishments are dished out to these tarnishing the image in places like Pattaya or Phuket so in our eyes its open season as the next day the same gangs will be circling around frightening or abusing tourists. When are we going to see justice carried out on these incidents?

1 minute ago, BangkokHank said:

The reasonable solution would have let the the two service providers BID for the business of the tourists. The lowest price wins. The only reason to fight would be if they were both expecting to gouge the tourists.

That wouldn't work Hank because the losing bidders would stand around threatening the winners and even Tourists with threats.

Well in today's FT it reports that China's sluggish economy is leading many Chinese to save, not spend. We've ridiculous flight costs from Europe to Thailand reducing European visitor numbers, so maybe a missed TAT visitor tourist quotient in Q4 2023 extending into 2024 may just focus the neanderthal minds of some of these rip off Thai merchants that customer service is what we want, not abuse, scams and p*** poor service. There's plenty of other countries where we can spend our tourist 'dollars' in far more welcoming, interesting and cultural places on this planet. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident, which was captured in a 5-minute-long video clip, involved two groups of speedboat operators at the pier. The groups were heatedly arguing about who would get the money and rights from a group of unidentified tourists who wanted to travel to Koh Larn on speedboats, before they started throwing punches

Remove both groups of boat operators, remove their licences to operate out of Pattaya.. ban them from ever operating in Pattya again.

Time to get tough.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Remove both groups of boat operators, remove their licences to operate out of Pattaya.. ban them from ever operating in Pattya again.

Time to get tough.

Get back to renting jet skis, both of you.

• Like 1

I Hope those tourists left immediately ?  Those (boat ):types are uncouth, unwashed and drunk most of the time. Also, those boats have no maintenance so are unsafe as well. Put the rogue taxi and van drivers and jet ski owners into the same category. You have to choose wisely in Thailand if you value your safety. Hard words but true.

• Like 1

The locals are really trying hard to give Pattaya a bad name :cheesy:

Maybe TAT could advertise these brawls as a way of giving tourists free entertainment.

By way of interest how long did the Keystone cops take to show up and arrest the offenders.

Oh wait its only tourists that give the place a bad name  :whistling:

• Confused 1

TAT has been trying so hard to entice and bring in HISO tourist and tourism. Can you imagine a millionaire standing with his family wanting to ride in a private speed boat. Watching all this ado going on.

Well that just proves the point, Thailand is not ready to welcome rich tourists yet! And to be honest with you, as long as greed runs rife in the Buddhist culture, it never will.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like a typical Thai fight , fout or five onto one , with the odd one running in with a weapon , in this case a plastic chair. Seen it all so many times before .

If they want a fight , then why not a civilised straightener one on one. In my opinion put any one of these animals one on one and they will run away , this lot can only fight in a pack .

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Nothing hurt tourism more than the operators in the tourist sector.

Thailand should not have to depend on tourism and would be better off if every foreigner went home and never came back.  This is a government failure to create a functioning independent economy and basically force their citizens to beg for scraps from foreigners who look down on them, which must be infuriating and humiliating at times.  Desperate people will fight for their livelihood.  The people here punching down at them would do the same if they were as desperate, I suspect.  Often, economic and political position privilege prevents us from having any understanding or compassion.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Not really safe to board a boat with such agressive captains and god knows if they are under influence.....but then the regular Joe Soap that too in Pattaya is not always a monument of intelligence either.

That in my mind is the beauty of Pattaya. It exists, so it doesn't have to exist elsewhere.

Never been but I cherish Pattaya for that reason.

Edited by Bassosa

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Thailand should not have to depend on tourism and would be better off if every foreigner went home and never came back.  This is a government failure to create a functioning independent economy and basically force their citizens to beg for scraps from foreigners who look down on them, which must be infuriating and humiliating at times.  Desperate people will fight for their livelihood.  The people here punching down at them would do the same if they were as desperate, I suspect.  Often, economic and political position privilege prevents us from having any understanding or compassion.  

You just answered a person that has been living 25 years  in Thailand. I do not look down on anything. I treat Thais and other nationalities the same. For me, the measuring scale goes by intelligence. Something that you did not manage to show based on your comment.