Shock as Thai teen’s lung collapses due to heavy e-cigarettes smoking

webfact

image.jpeg

The health of a 16 year old child who smoked e-cigarettes raised alarm when an X-ray revealed air leakage in the right lung, causing the lung to collapse.

According to Tevin Chakrayanuyok, a cardiologist states that the dangers of vaping are more serious than many people realise, urging those who can quit to do so.

Tevin Chakrayanuyok, a cardiologist, shared a post accompanied by an X-ray image of a patient’s lungs, stating, “Today, I have another story to tell. A 16 year old child is suffering from chest pain.” The nurse reported this news in a clear voice to Tevin, who was shocked at the thought.

After taking a history, the young patient, who was thin and smoked e-cigarettes heavily, complained of chest pain while breathing but dismissed any heavy lifting. The X-ray resulted in a diagnosis of air leakage in the right lung, causing the lung to collapse.

The edge of the lung is where it collapses and combines into a lump in the middle. The right lung has three lobes, hence they are unequal. The patient experienced fatigue or chest pain and could not breathe fully. This case resulted from the use of Vape, Pod, or e-cigarettes.

by Samantha Rose

Photo courtesy of indiafilings.com

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/shock-as-thai-teens-lung-collapses-due-to-heavy-e-cigarettes-smoking

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Who would have thought that sucking foreign substances into your lungs could be harmful?

I mean, cigarettes, weed, vaping, glue, Thai air during the burning season, Bangkok air anytime...they're all good, right?

I suppose it's a bit odd---or maybe not---that cigarettes are legal, but vaping is not. Neither is any good for you, and the pleasure comes from feeding the addiction that no one ever should have developed. Smoking always struck me as odd...one has to overcome initial nausea just to become addicted to something that can kill you.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's certainly the lesser of two evils and as already stated spontaneous pneumothorax is not uncommon in tall slim people

An eminent doctor aught to know all this but then again this is Thailand 

Edited by mark131v
  • Thanks 1

Tobacco has been known to be highly toxic for decades now. This is not new news. So is inhaling huge amounts of smoke, of any kind. So, this is no surprise. The only ones who are surprised are the very lenient parents, and those who are uninformed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, than said:

It is amusing to see that there are only Thailand has major health problems with the E cigartte.

In the West, pulmonologists call for the generalization of the E-cigarette to fight against tobacco

E cigarettes are illegal, yet normal cigarettes are fine.

Money wins

5 hours ago, 2long said:

And there was me thinking that a cardiologist was a heart doctor, not a lung expert. Well, you live and learn! 

I'm off to see my pulmonologist, to get my ingrown toenail sorted out.

Heart and lung are connected by major vessels and a nervous system. Cardiologists and pulmonoligists have a lot of overlap in their field of expertise, so this cardiologist is perfectly competent to give the opinion he gave.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, than said:

It is amusing to see that there are only Thailand has major health problems with the E cigartte.

In the West, pulmonologists call for the generalization of the E-cigarette to fight against tobacco

Thailand is special in many ways. :giggle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Pneumothorax (collapsed lung) is an uncommon spontaneous condition which paradoxically affects fit, slim young men in particular. Whatever part nicotine vaping played, if any, it is likely to be secondary or negligible. 

Yes, I was thinking the same thing while reading the OP. Tall, slim, males that smoke are more likely the have a spontaneous pneumothorax than others.

Ex paramedic.

What about lung covid? Did the guy had covid? They dont know all about lung covid, as it coming up more now and they are investigating it. It is an after covid attack disease. As i saw on news, mostly severe with persons in medical profession. As they were more exposed as others. But never the less it can happen to anybody.

Easy to say, it is because of e vaping. Bringing it out in the open as a campagne against e vaping.(tobacco industry, doctor paid?)

As said cigarette smoking, they dont make such a fuzz. Regret the day i started. 

21 hours ago, 2long said:

And there was me thinking that a cardiologist was a heart doctor, not a lung expert. Well, you live and learn! 

I'm off to see my pulmonologist, to get my ingrown toenail sorted out.

And I thought general practitioners only treated generals!

• Haha 1