Deadly Altercation Erupts Among Friends Over 'Hitler' Drawing

webfact

14 minutes ago, swerve said:

The idea that modern groups can claim ownership of common symbols is wrong. Swastikas are much older than Nazis.  Nazis don't own swastikas, just as the alphabet people don't own rainbows.

Could we also have an argument about the 'direction' of the Swastika in establishing its origin as a Hindu & Buddhist or a Nazi symbol...  :whistling:

Yawn... hasn't this stuff been done to death already ? :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most youth that uses Hitler/Nazism symbols don't know much or at all the true meaning of those acts (...)

I was very surprised to see Nazi swastikas in Kuala Lumpur recently. As there are many Indian-Malaysians living there, I would have expected to see the Hindu version, but no, they really pointed to the 'wrong' side Nazi style.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not surprised in a country where parents name their kids Hitler, or Nazi...

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/should-you-name-your-baby-hitler-nazi-the-n-word

Is that actually a trend ? it doesn't state how many kids were named those names , sounds like its just made up sensationalist  journalism with no factual basis

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I was very surprised to see Nazi swastikas in Kuala Lumpur recently. As there are many Indian-Malaysians living there, I would have expected to see the Hindu version, but no, they really pointed to the 'wrong' side Nazi style.

The difference between the Nazi swastika and the Buddhist swastika doesn't depend which way the arms point . So its quite likely that it wasn't actually the nazi swastika that you saw in KL

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could we also have an argument about the 'direction' of the Swastika in establishing its origin as a Hindu & Buddhist or a Nazi symbol (...)

The thing is that in Thailand and also other Asian countries not the Hindu version is used, but very often the Nazi one... (I know many Thais who adore Hitler and Nazis.) As for the 'wrong' direction in other countries (e.g. Malaysia), who knows...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Is that actually a trend ? it doesn't state how many kids were named those names , sounds like its just made up sensationalist  journalism with no factual basis

Naming one child, branding him for life, is one past enough. To carry the name of one of the most evil of swine in modern times would be a crutch no innocent child should have to bear. As far as education is concerned, I can see what my 42 year old girlfriend, who is very smart and speaks good English, knew about Hitler, which wasn't much at all. When I had her watch Schindler's List, she saw firsthand what was really going on back then. They don't have many historical American made movies here on Mono 29 or 24. Most are just action movies with the same actors. Good movies based on facts are very good teachers. She also liked Braveheart, and saw what England was like, as far as the leaders and army were concerned, back then. Another was Saving Private Ryan, which was mostly based on fact as far as the fighting. History here isn't taught much as far as I can see and hear.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Naming one child, branding him for life, is one past enough. To carry the name of one of the most evil of swine in modern times would be a crutch no innocent child should have to bear. As far as education is concerned, I can see what my 42 year old girlfriend, who is very smart and speaks good English, knew about Hitler, which wasn't much at all. When I had her watch Schindler's List, she saw firsthand what was really going on back then. They don't have many historical American made movies here on Mono 29 or 24. Most are just action movies with the same actors. Good movies based on facts are very good teachers. She also liked Braveheart, and saw what England was like, as far as the leaders and army were concerned, back then. Another was Saving Private Ryan, which was mostly based on fact as far as the fighting. History here isn't taught much as far as I can see and hear.

I wasn't suggesting that it would be acceptable to name kids those names , I was questioning whether it actually happened .

BTW, did you inform your GF that Braveheart is a fictions film and its no factually based ?

https://scotlands-stories.com/braveheart-historical-check/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could we also have an argument about the 'direction' of the Swastika in establishing its origin as a Hindu & Buddhist or a Nazi symbol...  :whistling:

Yawn... hasn't this stuff been done to death already ? :coffee1:

Not sure what you are getting at, except calling this topic boring. The swastika symbol is represented in both directions. The idea of the swastika is that it's like a wheel (circular), and wheels move in both directions.  It's also a lot older than the Nazis.

From Wikipedia:  The swastika ( or ) is an ancient religious and cultural symbol, predominantly in various Eurasian, as well as some African and American cultures,

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

I wasn't suggesting that it would be acceptable to name kids those names , I was questioning whether it actually happened .

BTW, did you inform your GF that Braveheart is a fictions film and its no factually based ?

https://scotlands-stories.com/braveheart-historical-check/

It played with the truth but much of what happened was based on a true story. Braveheart was Robert The Bruce actually. They didn't wear kilts that early in history. The kings son wasn't gay, as far as anyone knew. The king didn't die when Isabella gave him news that she had Wallace's child for another 2 years after. Wallace didn't have an affair with Isabella. She had an affair with another Englishman. The right of English army personnel to take Scottish women didn't happen. But Wallace did get enraged after they killed his wife, and he did lead an army against the Brits, and with other's help, win freedom for Scotland. Wallace was middle class and not a farmer, and Scotland rebelled 1 year after England took over, not after years like it was saying. Wallace was tricked by a Scot spy who brought him to England for his execution. The movie shows a lot of what really happened, but put in things that didn't happen.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

They have no clue about history unfortunately.

True, as this is European history. They know as much of European history as an average westerner knows about the SE Asian history. Here, they had the Empire of the Sun ruling during that time.

And, let's face it, the Swastika has been a religious and good luck symbol is these parts of the worlds for centuries. Just go to India or Indonesia.....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

True, as this is European history. They know as much of European history as an average westerner knows about the SE Asian history. Here, they had the Empire of the Sun ruling during that time.

And, let's face it, the Swastika has been a religious and good luck symbol is these parts of the worlds for centuries. Just go to India or Indonesia.....

Not sure what you're referring to as an average westerner. In the US, we learned about history from all over the world, including Thailand and the rest of SE Asia. It was something I was really into and to this day I enjoy movies about history from all over. The school education here pales by comparison to the US in all facets. They don't get left behind here even though they are failing. That doesn't help much unless you're goal is to be a farmer.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Not sure what you're referring to as an average westerner. In the US, we learned about history from all over the world, including Thailand and the rest of SE Asia. It was something I was really into and to this day I enjoy movies about history from all over. The school education here pales by comparison to the US in all facets. They don't get left behind here even though they are failing. That doesn't help much unless you're goal is to be a farmer.

Yes, maybe. But you were learning about who was conquering whom, not the symbols that were used by the conquerors. IMO, it is quite unfortunate that the Nazi party decided to use such an auspicious symbol as the Swastika. Just by that action it became the symbol of death and devastation in the Western world.

• Like 1

There are violent acts committed in every country.  But Thailand seems to have it’s fair share.  On Thai news programs there are numerous violent acts every day it seems.

And this topic is about Thailand.  I find that people who interject criticism about other countries. For the most part are the ones that couldn’t make it in western countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The argument began when Set playfully drew a 'Hitler' symbol on Saul's head,

Like this?

swastika-02.jpg

Argument less about one boy drawing an ancient buddhist symbol, more about the boy drawing it on another boy.

News article gets more interest this way. 

Edited by NoDisplayName

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

alcohol brings out repressed anger.

maybe 50% of murders involve alcohol?

i don't get drunk anymore.

and i don't hang out with drunk people. 

Nor with people who draw nazi insignias on your forehead.. I’m guessing !!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, swerve said:

Not sure what you are getting at, except calling this topic boring. The swastika symbol is represented in both directions. The idea of the swastika is that it's like a wheel (circular), and wheels move in both directions.  It's also a lot older than the Nazis.

From Wikipedia:  The swastika ( or ) is an ancient religious and cultural symbol, predominantly in various Eurasian, as well as some African and American cultures,

Yup... and the topic has been debated to death ad nauseam on numerous forums. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/155514-thais-and-swastikas/

https://aseannow.com/topic/652474-thai-buddhist-swastika-why-the-confusion/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1081164-never-again-on-the-thai-fondness-for-swastikas/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1020782-nazi-style-swastika-items-showing-up-more-for-sale-in-pattaya/

It's an extremely common topic, and perhaps one that is brought up by guys who are new to different cultures and are shocked when they see it. 

I wouldn't assume that the upset reaction was necessarily much about WHAT was drawn on the guy's forehead as opposed to being upset that ANYTHING was being drawn on his forehead. We don't know, do we?

As far as swastikas in Malaysia, we'd have to see specific pictures of what was reported. Obviously, there are the religious ones but there also could be the Nazi ones as Malaysia is one of the most antisemitic nations in the world. A previous PM there was particularly virulent in that sentiment and he promoted it to his people. 

Antisemitism in Southeast Asia: Stories from Jerusalem to Jakarta - New Mandala

Edited by Jingthing