Where I live Ive noticed more locals are not obsessed with wearing the facial mask anymore. But some still are.

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

You're certainly obsessed with masks.

The virus is far from over:

"A new COVID-19 variant may be more likely to cause breakthrough infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

https://www.health.com/new-covid-variant-ba286-7852574

"WHO declares ‘Eris’ Covid strain a variant of interest as cases rise globally."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/09/who-declares-eris-covid-strain-a-variant-of-interest-as-uk-cases-rise

The people wearing the masks are probably saying, "Why is this idiot falang not wearing a mask?".  

Perhaps you not wearing a mask is actually detering business? 

Elvis is back

14 hours ago, advancebooking said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why does he need to provide evidence of this fact?

duh. Bc I dont believe him.

Duh....you described what he said as a fact.  Why does he have to provide evidence of something you've already accepted as fact?   Whether you believe a fact or not is neither here nor there.

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

It's means people are insane if more  than 5% of people are wearing masks anywhere now. 
period. 

Much more than 5% are in high risk group over 60 with diabetes etc. Just curious are you saying those in a  high risk group are crazy for protecting themselves?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone of a dumbed down over simplification... 

Before Covid - mask wearing in Thailand was very limited, perhaps about 1 in 20 motorcycle riders and perhaps about 1 in 50 people walking down the street and next to no-one in shopping malls. 

Now, post covid, mask wearing is significantly greater - thus  IF your implication is that pre-covid mask wearing levels and post covid mask wearing levels is similar, you are quite incorrect. 

As for,  "who cares ???"

A lot of people do... There is an element of social pressure when it comes to mask wearing. 

If most around are wearing a mask, not through any understanding of the reasons but simply because everyone else is wearing a mask, then there is an element of 'following other people like sheep'... and often people want to think critically about their actions and behavior.

Thus - people care because they don't want to be the one that others look poorly upon for not socially conforming by wearing a mask, yet at the same time the realise that wearing a mask isn't quite necessary any more.

So what? I'm sick of people accusing others of being mouth breathers for wearing masks.  Nothing could be less intelligent.

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Two extremes of the spectrum...    intelligent balance is needed here. 

This hyperbolic exaggeration that people who don't wear masks are wilfully putting others at risk' is utterly exaggerated and flawed, they are simply getting on with their lives as they did before Covid. 

There is no need to wear a mask in the general pubic unless you are unwell or want some protection from pollution. 

It isn't flawed. Wearing a mask is a conscious decision, therefore willful. Stop suggesting that people shouldn't wear m,asks for covid. That's mouth breather stuff and utterly misinformed..

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

So what? I'm sick of people accusing others of being mouth breathers for wearing masks.  Nothing could be less intelligent.

In your haste to argue I'm not sure you read through my comments carefully enough. 

I agree with you at some level....  the people arguing that we should all still be wearing masks have failed to see the rest of the world move on. 

These same people try and use 'mouth-breathers'  or some such phrases in the same manner others used 'covidiots' etc... they think they are being clever adding such emphasis to their bias. 

I have hardly seen anyone wearing a mask outside of Thailand for well over a year. 

This includes major airports.

At the same time, I think its poor form not to wear a mask in a hospital.

As always what occurs in the middle ground is simple balance, yet the extremes have the loudest voice and flawed argument of the extremes of a 'black & white' perspective. 

• Love It 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have hardly seen anyone wearing a mask outside of Thailand for well over a year. 

I don't think many of those posting here or many who live here, actually realise that Thailand is now the last country in the world where mask wearing is still commonplace in public. 

Even Japan and China have rapidly ditched them over the past few months. 

As you stated very well, unless you suspect you actually have Covid, or want some protection form pollution, there is no rational reason to wear a mask. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In your haste to argue I'm not sure you read through my comments carefully enough. 

I agree with you at some level....  the people arguing that we should all still be wearing masks have failed to see the rest of the world move on. 

These same people try and use 'mouth-breathers'  or some such phrases in the same manner others used 'covidiots' etc... they think they are being clever adding such emphasis to their bias. 

At the same time, I think its poor form not to wear a mask in a hospital.

As always what occurs in the middle ground is simple balance, yet the extremes have the loudest voice and flawed argument of the extremes of a 'black & white' perspective. 

Why don't you dredge up some truth for a change? The rest of the world sees covid rising again and some countries are considering more lock downs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It isn't flawed. Wearing a mask is a conscious decision, therefore willful. Stop suggesting that people shouldn't wear m,asks for covid. That's mouth breather stuff and utterly misinformed..

True. I'm sure many lives have been saved from people not spreading what they were infected with by wearing some kind of mask. Yes,they won't stop all molecules from Covid, but the amount. They don't know how much of Covid is needed to start an infection, or the severity of it. Taking guesses with others health has killed many people. The problem here isn't that many wore or still wear masks. It's what they come into contact with when they are home. Kids go to school and most don't wear masks anymore. One child gets close to many, and the rest is history. People wear masks walking down the street, and then share sticky rice with friends and neighbors, guaranteeing a spread of whatever they're carrying. This is a major reason Covid has spread here, along with communal water cups. If someone has Covid and coughs, that disease goes outwards many feet. If they're wearing a mask, most of it won't travel as far. Some have said that Thais have been wearing masks long before Covid came, for many reasons. Why worry who does what here anyway? Who knows how many lives have been saved using a mask?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

True. I'm sure many lives have been saved from people not spreading what they were infected with by wearing some kind of mask. Yes,they won't stop all molecules from Covid, but the amount. They don't know how much of Covid is needed to start an infection, or the severity of it. Taking guesses with others health has killed many people. The problem here isn't that many wore or still wear masks. It's what they come into contact with when they are home. Kids go to school and most don't wear masks anymore. One child gets close to many, and the rest is history. People wear masks walking down the street, and then share sticky rice with friends and neighbors, guaranteeing a spread of whatever they're carrying. This is a major reason Covid has spread here, along with communal water cups. If someone has Covid and coughs, that disease goes outwards many feet. If they're wearing a mask, most of it won't travel as far. Some have said that Thais have been wearing masks long before Covid came, for many reasons. Why worry who does what here anyway? Who knows how many lives have been saved using a mask?

We do know that's it's in the millions

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, anrcaccount said:

I don't think many of those posting here or many who live here, actually realise that Thailand is now the last country in the world where mask wearing is still commonplace in public. 

Even Japan and China have rapidly ditched them over the past few months. 

As you stated very well, unless you suspect you actually have Covid, or want some protection form pollution, there is no rational reason to wear a mask. 

Agreed.... 

I am actually very pro-Mask wearing, even before Covid..... but only under circumstances where its useful and not simply a byproduct of conformity or hysteria. 

I believe that if someone has any symptoms of a cold - then wear a mask.

I believe that if someone in your own household has any symptoms of a cold - then wear a mask.

I believe that we should wear masks when entering a hospital.

Yet, the validity of the reasons for every person wearing a mask in any public setting have long since passed. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Why does it bother you what others do?

Personally I will still wear a mask where it is required and sometimes out of respect for those I'm interacting with.

everyone should wear one:)) not ..watch mask production:

https://twitter.com/CartlandDavid/status/1696575578512519304?s=20

Edited by Zapitapi
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why don't you dredge up some truth for a change? The rest of the world sees covid rising again and some countries are considering more lock downs.

Where has locked down again ???  name one country that has locked down or instigated compulsory mask wearing this year.

The media is always reporting the 'next lock down' because they love the frenzy...  but where is there a genuine official report of another imminent or pending lock-down ?

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where has locked down again ???  name one country that has locked down or instigated compulsory mask wearing this year.

The media is always reporting the 'next lock down' because they love the frenzy...  but where is there a genuine official report of another imminent or pending lock-down ?

None, because losing money is on most people's minds, including the ones who profit from people working. Politicians are scared to death to do anything that might affect their ratings, so let the people work.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I am a foreigner and wear a new paper mask almost every day here in Pattaya.  I find it helps in my condo elevator when Indians or Russians are in it to cover up their massive perfume smells. 

What a way to start a post about masking ----> throw highly charged jingoistic (overtly racist) shade at Indians and Russians by insinuating that they all have hygiene problems and body odor.

Your message the way I interpret it:
???? "I wear a mask because other ethnicities whom I personally dislike all stink and smell bad, except for my own superior ethnicity, all of whom are clean and pure as the wind driven snow."

I'd say your perception of your personal ethnic superiority is a problem that has nothing to do with masks.  Just a suggestion:  Try jettisoning the racism and becoming part of the solution.  You're definitely an outliers as most people I know who obsessively wear masks are scare out of their wits by all of the Covid fear-mongering broadcasted day and night by main-stream media and their government agencies since March 2020.  They don't wear them because they are ethnically superior and can't stand the stench of other ethnicities they despise.  Really, really pathetic. 

"I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."
-- Dr Martin Luther King

...and Indians, and Russians, and Pakistanis, and Africans, and Middle Easterns, and South Americans, and Europeans - hand in hand - accepting each other together as one - masked or otherwise.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Personally, I haven't worn a mask for yonks. Only when I walk into a private hospital when someone asks me to wear one will I do so. 

I think its ridiculous to be wearing one day in day out. The threat of the chinese virus is over.  I recently paid a sign guy to erect a vinal sign on our building. Towards the end of the job he saw me walking towards him and he put on his mask. I hung around until it was finished. He had a long neck of beer with him. Took a drink and put his mask back on. I lost respect for him. Thought he was an idiot. Is he that paranoid to catch a virus (from me)

We have a busy small business. Ive noticed half the customers that walk in dont wear them which is good. I sit at reception not wearing one of course. 

I think its quite weird that many thais are still wearing them when majority of population in western countries are clearly not. 

it was weird from the very start.