Nearly 18 million tourists make waves in Thailand this year

snoop1130

phi.jpg

With the close of this year on the horizon, Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Ministry reported that almost 18 million overseas tourists have laid a beach towel in the Land of Smiles.

Thailand, which heavily leans on tourism as a significant economic pillar, is setting its sights on welcoming around 28 million visitors by the end of the year.

The statistics released today reflect an encouraging trend for Thailand’s tourism industry, which has been a vital part of the nation’s economy. The figures showcase the country’s enduring appeal to international tourists, with the count of 17.57 million visitors marking a significant milestone in the nation’s tourism sector.

Despite the global challenges that have plagued the travel and tourism industry, Thailand continues to make strides in maintaining and enhancing its international appeal. The nation’s vibrant culture, picturesque landscapes, and world-renowned hospitality continue to draw in tourists from around the globe.

By Alex Morgan

Caption: Picture courtesy of Phi Phi Islands unoffical Facebook page

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thailands-tourism-sector-eyes-28-million-visitors-despite-global-challenges

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

With the close of this year on the horizon, Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Ministry reported that almost 18 million overseas tourists have laid a beach towel in the Land of Smiles.

And I thought many tourists came from neighbouring countries... My guess is that most Malaysians do not come here for a beach holiday. 

• Like 1

The breakdown in July was Asians (75%), Europeans (15%), Middle East (5%), North/South America (4%) and a bloke called Craig from New Zealand.

I'm not sure whether the 5% of the total who traveled from Cambodia and Laos were tourists in the generally accepted sense, but they're added in anyway.

Biggest single countries were China (16%), Malaysia (15%), Korea (6%), India (5%), Vietnam (5%), From Europe, the biggest sources were Russia (2.5%), UK (2.3%). Americans made up 3% of the total, and Australians 2.5%.

Data is available at Thai Ministry of Tourism & Sports.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

How about some figures (not inflated) on hotel occupancy.

The problem with looking at just hotel occupancy is that it is not a true picture.

Many tourists now book villas and AirBnb homes.

We have been 80 - 90 % booked during July/August.

4 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Biggest single countries were China (16%), Malaysia (15%), Korea (6%), India (5%), Vietnam (5%) (...)

A few Vietnamese were recently busted for illegally selling food (and were prominently mentioned in the media), and I met a number of Vietnamese girls online, who came here to do, well, let's call it 'social work' that doesn't officially exist in Thailand... I doubt that any of them came as 'contract workers' here, but most probably as tourists.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

37 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The problem with looking at just hotel occupancy is that it is not a true picture.

Many tourists now book villas and AirBnb homes.

We have been 80 - 90 % booked during July/August.

Good point but nevertheless it's still a good indicator. I'd be interested to know what % of tourists overall use AirBnB and villas. I'm guessing that % would be quite high amongst the Russians.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand, which heavily leans on tourism as a significant economic pillar, is setting its sights on welcoming around 28 million visitors by the end of the year.

So 18 million so far this year in Q1-2 &3 and 10 million in the remaining quarter?