Delightful. More positive posts here. But.........

swissie

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read that in average the last year of every person's life (I think it was in Europe in general) cost the health service 20,000 EUR. In average for the last year of every person. That is a lot of money. And only for the last year, in average!

So coming back to above post, often paying more money doesn't really save a life. It prolongs life a little longer.

Let's say the farang spends his last 3 million THB on his health. Would it make sense that the family (any nationality) scraps together another million to prolong the life of one person a little longer? And then the family doesn't have any money anymore.

Obviously there is no fixed rule, and maybe one operation for 100k THB is a life saver and the person will live 10 years longer. On the other hand, maybe that operation only adds 3 weeks more in a hospital bed. Is it smart to spend money that way?

Finally it's a lottery. The point is: Farangs remaining in their home country receive "free healthcare", one way or the other. Mostly ceasing when laeaving "home country".

After that, it's only $ 500/month Private Health Insurance in Thailand. Thai State run hospitals, although "cheap" is not a place where a Farang wuold like to end up. I have been there. Forget it!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No. About 300 - 325 a month at age 70 -75.  Doesn't hit 500 a month until around  85-90 and that is pretty much the max. 

(Speaking of good intetnational expat policies).

Certainly this cost is not negligible but no need to exaggerate it asmuch more than it is. 

Hardly. Insurane companies featuring such (low) quatas have their domicile in Panama. Hard to file any claims agaist a P.O. BOX in Panama. Wake up Sheryl. Unless you want to give me a similar quote originating from a established European Insurer. I would jump at it. Surely, your effots will be in vain.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, swissie said:

Finally it's a lottery. The point is: Farangs remaining in their home country receive "free healthcare", one way or the other. Mostly ceasing when laeaving "home country".

After that, it's only $ 500/month Private Health Insurance in Thailand. Thai State run hospitals, although "cheap" is not a place where a Farang wuold like to end up. I have been there. Forget it!

Yes, I went back to my home country I pay nothing for health care I went to hospital twice and it cost me nothing, Medication is dirt cheap 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I went back to my home country I pay nothing for health care I went to hospital twice and it cost me nothing, Medication is dirt cheap 

Thanks, that's interesting. In U.K. even medicines (prescribed by a doctor or nurse) are free for over 60 year olds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good information about health plans in this thread, many thanks to the contributors! The OP was concerned about the number of retirees who shouldn't be here. I agree. Whilst taking a tour with a friend of the economical apartments available in Central Pattaya we were told that many of their long-term residents were elderly and some very rarely left their rooms. Those who had severe mobility problems i.e. wheelchair bound were allocated ground floor apartments. One resident emerged as we were passing his door. We said 'Good Morning' but he didn't/couldn't respond. He looked as if he should have been in a care home. Maybe the apartment staff keep an eye upon such residents and do what they can to help? Such residents are most unlikely to have healthcare plans and the end, when it comes, isn't going to be pleasant for them, the other residents or the apartment staff. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

Gosh you are bitter---but never mind , it's a terrible country, but you can still live on ASEAN........(regularly I see) nearly 2,000 post in 11 months  just to tell us all how bad it all is here...............thank you.....:coffee1:

I am not bitter at all just quoting facts 

22 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Cold miserable? we have last day of winter, and it is 29 degrees friendly people and not expansive and no false smiles.

Reads like you have a chip on your shoulder, did you really go back alone...?????

• Haha 1