Delightful. More positive posts here. But.........

swissie

On 8/31/2023 at 5:29 PM, swissie said:

1 million US$ coverage for less than 500$ month, even in an age bracket over 85 years? Who would insure a person at this age to begin with?

I am shaking in my boots.

If that were the case, every private health insurer would have gone bankrupt by now. How much is 1 Million US$ in Thai baht? It would cover 77 haeart bypass surgeries in a Thai Hospital. Something like that can't be. You know it. You may want to read the "fine-print" once more.

I assure you there is no "fine print" in my policy and I have read the entire policy thoroughly. I have also used the insurance multiple times, both for elective care and in emergency, with no problem.

The maximum annual cap on an insurance  policy is not what they pay out for the overwhelming majority of their policyholders, far from it. It is expected that in the pool of insured people,  most will have no claim in a given year and the others will have claims far beklow the maxiumum. It is very rare for any policy holdrer to receive the maximum pay out in a year and,  in the case of Thailand, would be highly  unlikely.  Bears in mind the cover is nto limited to Thailand, and even covers expensive places like US for emergencies during short travel.

I obtained my (lifelong) policy prior to age 65 and when I had no serious pre-existing conditions, which is pretty much what has to be done to be adequately insured in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 12:29 AM, swissie said:

Increasingly more positive posts here. Much to my delight. But....

All Farangs must be "rich" as they can pay for a 500$ Private Health Insurance/month, even more once past 70, or self insure (the limit is the sky).
My conclusion is therefore that all Farangs must be "rich". Unfortunately I do not qualify, otherwise I would still be in Thailand, paying my $ 500 monthly just for health coverage.

During my stay in Thailand (5 years) I have seen the other side of the coin. On 3 occasions, the Farangs ended up in hospital. Their cash reserves dwindling fast. Even faster dwindled the support of their "Thai-Families". An extremely sobering experiance for me. A Thailand "game changer" for me, under the motto "something like that will never happen to me". Clearly, such devastating "occurrences" seldom find their way into "Thai Social Media". For the very simple reason that the Farang is dead and can't post anymore, much to the delight of the predatory Thai Family.

Remarkable: An European Insurance guy in Pattaya once told me " Most Farangs here think they will die of a merciful quick death, completely disregarding the fact that most people die in hospital". End of quote.

Certainly not wanting to spoil anyones party. So, stay healthy and/or stay rich. Amen.

-

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, would be best for him to find a broker in his home country that offers expat policies as these are often designed to work alongside/complement  national health service or local insurance scheme.

However if he is already over age 65, choice will be limited, and if he already has  pre-exisitng conditions choice may be nil.

In that case best option if really determined to come to Thailand may be a travel policy aimed at seniors that covers acute exacerbations of chronic conditions - but this only works if he will return to his home country periodically and is also able and willing to be med-evacued back  in an emergency (will be up to the insurer whether ti pay for treatment in Thailand or fly him home) and to fly home for any major non-emergent care.

Although most of us agree these foreign health polices are better than Thai, one problem, in the event of court action, not simple if based in Thailand, easy if a Thai policy

On 8/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, swissie said:

... Most Farangs here think they will die of a merciful quick death, completely disregarding the fact that most people die in hospital ,,,

A cautionary tale indeed, 

Most hope they'll go out Hollywood style, with a last cigarette or joke, 

Unfortunately the reality could be far different.

In a progressive society you would think you could just ask your physician to unplug you or provide a means to OD.

Hospitals at the end of the day remain a business, and whether you believe they're out to keep you alive at any cost to maximize profits or that they have the patient’s best interest at heart is a matter of debate.

Physicians themselves usual stay true to their Hippocratic Oath, do no harm and preserve life.

Having a trusted health advocate that knows your wishes and can make decisions on your behalf if incapacitated is something we may want to put in-place before we end up in that lonely room.

On 9/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes, would be best for him to find a broker in his home country that offers expat policies as these are often designed to work alongside/complement  national health service or local insurance scheme.

However if he is already over age 65, choice will be limited, and if he already has  pre-exisitng conditions choice may be nil.

In that case best option if really determined to come to Thailand may be a travel policy aimed at seniors that covers acute exacerbations of chronic conditions - but this only works if he will return to his home country periodically and is also able and willing to be med-evacued back  in an emergency (will be up to the insurer whether ti pay for treatment in Thailand or fly him home) and to fly home for any major non-emergent care.

With a bit of fantasy, one can go by way of "Travel-Insurance". As far as "emergency med evacuation" to home country is concerned, there is usually the paragraph that says that as long as a "medical-event" can be treated in "the foreighn country", no one will be flown back to the home country. Therefore, Thailand with it's excellent Private Hospitals would indicate that they will fly nobody back to the home country.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

As far as "emergency med evacuation" to home country is concerned, there is usually the paragraph that says that as long as a "medical-event" can be treated in "the foreighn country", no one will be flown back to the home country. Therefore, Thailand with it's excellent Private Hospitals would indicate that they will fly nobody back to the home country.

It is more usual for it to be at the insurer's discretion and it is quite common for them to fly people back home if stable enough to travel.  Or, to pay for emergency stabilization in the foreign country and then for travel back for further care.

It comes down to (1) whether the person is stable enough to travel and (2) respective costs, keeping in mind that travel insurance doesn't have to pay for care in the home country.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 7:01 AM, impulse said:

If I'm in the USA, I'll just get some fentanyl.  Not kidding... 

The problem is, will I have the presence of mind to know where I hid it?  Plus, that requires breaking the law while I still have the facilities to act.  Can't wait until it's too late to get out and buy some, and I'd never ask anyone around me to risk jail to help me.

check news for Toronto....