Delightful. More positive posts here. But.........

swissie

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I went back to my home country I pay nothing for health care I went to hospital twice and it cost me nothing, Medication is dirt cheap 

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

but the bad news is you are in your home country and not Thailand

Not if they are getting medical treatment!

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No. About 300 - 325 a month at age 70 -75. 

Does it include pre-existing conditions? In most countries where universal health care is adopted, it is not a concern for the person. Even in the USA, ultimately if the person does not have significant assets outside the primary residence, he will be absorbed in the medicaid system of most states. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just out of curiosity, does Thailand have any affordable options for foreigners who need some elder care, but perhaps not the intense care from a full service facility? 

Like a retirement community as opposed to a nursing home...  My vision would be (perhaps) serving meals in a dining room, shuttles for shopping and health care visits, maid service as an option, etc.

Edit:  Like some other posters, I've seen elder foreigners who rarely make it out of their doorways, and that seems like a lonely life.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Just out of curiosity, does Thailand have any affordable options for foreigners who need some elder care, but perhaps not the intense care from a full service facility? 

Like a retirement community as opposed to a nursing home...  My vision would be (perhaps) serving meals in a dining room, shuttles for shopping and health care visits, maid service as an option, etc.

Edit:  Like some other posters, I've seen elder foreigners who rarely make it out of their doorways, and that seems like a lonely life.

What concerns me is how I die. I don't want to suffer pain and suffocate whilst conscious. I have been trying, without success, to find such a thing as an 'End of Life' plan that would guarantee to avoid this horrible scenario.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

What concerns me is how I die. I don't want to suffer pain and suffocate whilst conscious. I have been trying, without success, to find such a thing as an 'End of Life' plan that would guarantee to avoid this horrible scenario.

If I'm in the USA, I'll just get some fentanyl.  Not kidding... 

The problem is, will I have the presence of mind to know where I hid it?  Plus, that requires breaking the law while I still have the facilities to act.  Can't wait until it's too late to get out and buy some, and I'd never ask anyone around me to risk jail to help me.

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

If I'm in the USA, I'll just get some fentanyl.  Not kidding

That's what I have done impulse ----have managed to get a big bag of Morphine tabs.......Just in Case

BUT---If I find I do not need them, I'll just donate them to the cat...........:w00t:

Edited by oxo1947

On 8/30/2023 at 6:30 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Does it include pre-existing conditions? In most countries where universal health care is adopted, it is not a concern for the person. Even in the USA, ultimately if the person does not have significant assets outside the primary residence, he will be absorbed in the medicaid system of most states. 

Policies will exclude pre-existing conditions and depending on what they are, possibly refuse to insure altogether.

In rare select cases a person may be given an option of paying a "premium load" (add on charge to normal premium) to have an isolated pre-existing condition covered.

US private insurers did the same until it was made illegal under Obama.

• Thanks 2

On 8/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, Sheryl said:

I have no idea what you mean by "quota", what on earth does a quota of any sort have to do with it?

I am also not aware of any expat policies domiciled in Panama or at a PO Box.

The insurance policies I refer to are  solid EU based.

Personally, For 1 million in cover, with a $500 excess, my rate in age band 70 - 74 is $4.073 a year.  April Global.  ACS Asia policy would likley be a bit less. So might Cigna Glo=bal.

Which are the policies you refer to that cost so much?

Of course, I meant "price quote" not quota.

Other than that, the Enigma is solved.

With a coverage of only 1 Million, you are underinsured. Any serious hospitlalisation will cost way more these days. Today, coverage should be 5 million.

Given that, one quickly gets near a monthly premium of $ 500.  

• Confused 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, Enoon said:

He has to exaggerate it.

His mission in life is to try make other people feel as miserable, disillusioned and hopeless  as he does.

He tries it with virtually every post he makes.

He has a serious problem.

Thank you for shining some light in the grim darkness he seeks to spread.

YOU are exaggerating I find. It's just that I think that too many Farangs, upon re-locating to Thailand packed some "rose coloured glasses", when they should have packed a magnifying glass instead. That way, much grief could have been avoided.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is one million US dollars. Not baht. More than adequate cover.

Most international expat policues provide 500k - 1 million US. The lowest I have ever seen was 250k (uS dollars). 

And their premiums do not reach $500 a month until the very oldest age brackets e.g. 85 and above. 

1 million US$ coverage for less than 500$ month, even in an age bracket over 85 years? Who would insure a person at this age to begin with?

I am shaking in my boots.

If that were the case, every private health insurer would have gone bankrupt by now. How much is 1 Million US$ in Thai baht? It would cover 77 haeart bypass surgeries in a Thai Hospital. Something like that can't be. You know it. You may want to read the "fine-print" once more.

You mentioned AA. I was insured by AA while staying in Thailand. I will try again. Back then I found them expensive. All in THB, not US$. But, according to your recommendation I will suck up to AA once more.

If your quotes shoud be correct, I may re-locate to Thailand. Squandering my unexpected savings (a windfall profit) on womwn of ill repute. Or giving elderly women 20 Bht, them sweepintg the sidewalks of beach road  occasionally. Around 6 AM. Me awaiting the sunrise while reading yesterdays newspaper. Tempting outlook, me thinks.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, swissie said:

You mentioned AA. I was insured by AA while staying in Thailand.

I see no mention in Sheryl's replies on this thread about AA? 

Are you referring to AA Insurance the broker?

If so be aware that their Thai offices can only offer Thai based Insurance policies now and if you want International policies they are being handled by another company subsidiary called AA World who are based in India.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, topt said:

If so be aware that their Thai offices can only offer Thai based Insurance policies now and if you want International policies they are being handled by another company subsidiary called AA World who are based in India.

might as well find a broker in your home country

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm 64 years old, expat medical insurance, $150/month premium for $400,000 annual cover, $500 excess. The only exclusion is for my BPH.  That's with WR Life.  I could have got cover for the same terms with other expat insurers for about $250/month but  I don't trust insurers to pay out :).  So I don't want to commit large funds to medical cover, just in case they refuse to pay out.

In any case, one should consider what you need medical insurance for:

- Minor accidents/ailments = you pay the small cost yourself

- Cancer, 'slow' growing ailments = you have time to return to your home country for free treatment.

- Sudden serious event (cardiac arrest, stroke, major car accident etc) = you are dead!  (Well, since I live in northern Laos, I most certainly would be, due to the lack of decent medical care).

That just leaves major but not sudden death events, such as need for a heart stent etc, where air travel back home might not be possible. That's where I would expect to need medical insurance.

Very well thought out Simon! I don't have any cover. Reason being a history of treatment for raised BP in UK in mid 1980's plus a hypoglycemic collapse in Thailand. My BP has remained normal since and a satisfactory full blood count test 4 weeks ago rules out diabetes according to my GP.

On 8/31/2023 at 5:09 PM, simon43 said:

I'm 64 years old, expat medical insurance, $150/month premium for $400,000 annual cover, $500 excess. The only exclusion is for my BPH.  That's with WR Life.  I could have got cover for the same terms with other expat insurers for about $250/month but  I don't trust insurers to pay out :). 

I have often heard good quotes for WR Life but have not heard if they have a good track record of paying in Thailand or not? I mean their price even full coverage with no deductible is only less than $100 a year more than a $500 deductible/Excess

Have you had any experience of filing a claim with them?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:49 AM, topt said:

Finally, I came to the conclusion, that I would only go with a Health Insurance Company that is legally based in Europe. "AA World" based in India? Might as well be based in Panama or Timbuktu.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:29 AM, swissie said:

If that were the case, every private health insurer would have gone bankrupt by now. How much is 1 Million US$ in Thai baht?

Insurance adjusters bring the cost way, way down. 

41 minutes ago, swissie said:

Finally, I came to the conclusion, that I would only go with a Health Insurance Company that is legally based in Europe. "AA World" based in India? Might as well be based in Panama or Timbuktu.

As already mentioned they are a broker. They offer insurance policies from numerous companies but push their own in house policies - Regency for Expats. All part of the Alliance Insurance Group.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:

might as well find a broker in your home country

Yes, would be best for him to find a broker in his home country that offers expat policies as these are often designed to work alongside/complement  national health service or local insurance scheme.

However if he is already over age 65, choice will be limited, and if he already has  pre-exisitng conditions choice may be nil.

In that case best option if really determined to come to Thailand may be a travel policy aimed at seniors that covers acute exacerbations of chronic conditions - but this only works if he will return to his home country periodically and is also able and willing to be med-evacued back  in an emergency (will be up to the insurer whether ti pay for treatment in Thailand or fly him home) and to fly home for any major non-emergent care.

• Thanks 1