Buying / transferring a vehicle...paperwork required?

Kenny202

Buying a bike off a guy this week. Buying it off a farang guy but his boss, a Thai guy is the actual owner. Must of had some agreement where the guy paid his boss off or something. Anyway, all above board buy the looks and my wife has discussed it with the Thai owner. I know there are two govt forms from him we need signed...transfer form and some sort of power of attorney so the owner doesn't have to come to govt office with us and we can transfer ourselves. We need the blue book of course but from memory nothing needs to be signed in there. Standard stuff. Do we need a signed copy of his Tabien baan and ID? Also going to get him to sign a receipt acknowledging transfer and bike unencumbered, although I believe if there was finance or something on the bike the finance company / bank would hold the blue book. Apart from that I guess we will get a photo of him handing us the keys and lots of finger pointing. Is there anything I have missed?

If you want it in your name you will need a Cert. of residence, from immigration or yellow house book/pink card, if in your wife's name then easier, I think you will need a copy of his ID, sorry can't help any further. you could always ask your wife to ring the office you will use. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2023 at 3:25 AM, Kenny202 said:

Buying a bike off a guy this week. Buying it off a farang guy but his boss, a Thai guy is the actual owner. Must of had some agreement where the guy paid his boss off or something. Anyway, all above board buy the looks and my wife has discussed it with the Thai owner. I know there are two govt forms from him we need signed...transfer form and some sort of power of attorney so the owner doesn't have to come to govt office with us and we can transfer ourselves. We need the blue book of course but from memory nothing needs to be signed in there. Standard stuff. Do we need a signed copy of his Tabien baan and ID? Also going to get him to sign a receipt acknowledging transfer and bike unencumbered, although I believe if there was finance or something on the bike the finance company / bank would hold the blue book. Apart from that I guess we will get a photo of him handing us the keys and lots of finger pointing. Is there anything I have missed?

Make sure you get a green – not blue – book for a motorbike.

Power of attorney, signed copy of ID-card, transfer form.

You need ID and address confirmation letter from immigration, or your Yellow House Book (take photo copies, they might need that).

Check if mandatory insurance can be transferred, otherwise you also needs that.