Coffee grinder

Aforek

Hello

I am sure there are coffee lovers here, just a question , which coffee grinder do you recommand for expresso after a meal ? So many prices, I don't want the best , just an average one for reasonable price 

thank you  

21 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

I have two of the Minimex CG2 bur grinders that work very well.

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1043864?lang=th

Saw that at HP, and have 'similiar', obviously (no) branded differently, along with price, and probably quality, as I had to take apart the 'dial' and set permanently, to a fine grind.  Which is fine, and the grind we use anyway, for the price difference.

Seeing the HP display shortly after buying.  

LAZ listing:

image.png.f0eef5f1d7ec2b799350e4af8d29790f.png

sitting on our counter

image.png.f4eb288475cd30bfca9aa5618779445a.png

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Saw that at HP, and have 'similiar', obviously (no) branded differently, along with price, and probably quality, as I had to take apart the 'dial' and set permanently, to a fine grind.  Which is fine, and the grind we use anyway, for the price difference.

Seeing the HP display shortly after buying.  

LAZ listing:

image.png.f0eef5f1d7ec2b799350e4af8d29790f.png

sitting on our counter

image.png.f4eb288475cd30bfca9aa5618779445a.png

Thank you

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.kPyBA

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Still going strong after 2 years:

image.png.a9726fb399c9dc70d54696eb0f9cd140.png

If you happen to buy that, don't use the little plastic thing that goes in the bean holder, as it lessens the weight of the beans, and it tends to clog up.  Stopped using it, and it rarely clogs up. 

If it does, you'll hear the grinders spinning but not grinding, I just use a chop stick, give it a stir near the bottom till it starts grinding again.  Rare, but happens.

image.png.06caf44241d4f993bee4b32d0245f8c6.png

Edited by KhunLA

Op...  for a quality grinder at the high end the prices can get high.

One of the best grinders you can get is manual ceramic conical burr grinder....  and they are not cheap either...   

For example: The 1z Presso - X-Series...  will set you back about $160 which is going to seem like a lot for a grinder to many people. 

Avoid blade grinders - they do not create even grind which will result in poor extraction. 

Khun LA's example above looks like a decent option and is quite probably going to give you a good bang for your buck.

That said, IMO if you don't have top notch grinder It may well be better to order professionally ground coffee delivered regularly rather than grind your own beans with a substandard grinder. 

With grinders, you get what you pay for up to a certain extent, below which your coffee will be inconsistently extracted, if you can't tell the difference, then this doesn't really matter too much. 

But, for someone wanting to improve the quality and consistency of their experience a better grinder is well worth it.

If you really want to use your own Grinder and want electric there are some steel burr grinders that do a perfectly reasonable job.

It depends what you want to grind for.. If grinding for a French Press, then something like the Bodum Bistro does a good job, but it may not offer the quality and consistency at the finer levels expected when extracting an espresso. 

James Hoffman have some good videos on this stuff (if you are interested in this stuff).

Edited by richard_smith237

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

as it lessens the weight of the beans, and it tends to clog up.  Stopped using it, and it rarely clogs up. 

Another reasons the 'grinds' clog up us due to static, which is strange, but when the grind is very fine they tend to stick together due to static which can result in 'compacted clumps'... 

... one method of getting rid of this is to give the beans a quick spray with water, this apparently disperses the static electricity of the bean.

Questionable science I know, but it's backed up by people in the know. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another reasons the 'grinds' clog up us due to static, which is strange, but when the grind is very fine they tend to stick together due to static which can result in 'compacted clumps'... 

... one method of getting rid of this is to give the beans a quick spray with water, this apparently disperses the static electricity of the bean.

Questionable science I know, but it's backed up by people in the know. 

The water thing does work, though I question the use of, unless the 'burr' grinding wheels, are stainless steel, and guess, most are not.

Saying that @Hummin again, if buying, the bottom square container, where grounds are deposited, will vibrate out from under it, so I put something against that/handle when grinding, to avoid it clogging up, or making a mess, depending how far it slide off.

• Haha 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

The water thing does work, though I question the use of, unless the 'burr' grinding wheels, are stainless steel, and guess, most are not.

Saying that @Hummin again, if buying, the bottom square container, where grounds are deposited, will vibrate out from under it, so I put something against that/handle when grinding, to avoid it clogging up, or making a mess, depending how far it slide off.

2. Thoughts now ????