Marijuana users have elevated levels of heavy metals in their blood, urine: study

Social Media

image.png

A study has found that marijuana users have elevated levels of heavy metals in their blood and urine compared to those who do not use marijuana.

The study, published Wednesday in the Environmental Health Perspectives journal, found that marijuana users had higher levels of lead in their blood and urine compared to non-marijuana users. Conducted at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, the study used data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and conducted the research with a group of more than 7,200 participants.

The researchers split participants into five groups: non-marijuana/non-tobacco, exclusive marijuana, exclusive tobacco, and dual marijuana and tobacco use. They measured five different metals in participants’ blood and 16 in their urine.

“Because the cannabis plant is a known scavenger of metals, we had hypothesized that individuals who use marijuana will have higher metal biomarker levels compared to those who do not use,” author Katlyn McGraw, postdoctoral researcher in Columbia Public Health’s Department of Environmental Health Sciences, said in a press release.

“Our results therefore indicate marijuana is a source of cadmium and lead exposure,” she added.

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Conclusion:  Same as growing your own fruits & veggies at home, one should smoke homegrown Ganga ????

I approve of the sentiment, but unless you have your soil tested for contamination it might not be the solution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I approve of the sentiment, but unless you have your soil tested for contamination it might not be the solution.

Home hydro soilless. Don’t trust big growers esp here in Thailand. If you don’t know them personally and you are concerned about contamination, then grow your own.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Best advice is to grow your own stop using the dangerous cr@p at all!

It seems you are ridiculoisly bias against Marijuana.

I don't consume it at all...    But.. How is it dangerous ???....   I mean, at all... how is it even slightly dangerous ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

A study has found that marijuana users have elevated levels of heavy metals in their blood and urine compared to those who do not use marijuana.

Excessive heavy metals in the body is known to cause neurological and nervous system damage, in other words brain damage which causes mental disorders. Get the picture?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't consume it at all...    But.. How is it dangerous ???....   I mean, at all... how is it even slightly dangerous ?

How dangerous? Depends on the person and the usage. Consuming too much of anything can be dangerous, even too much water is harmful. Personally I don’t like to put anything in my body that will alter any of my senses. What other people do to themselves is entirely their personal business as long it doesn’t interfere with mine.

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

“Because the cannabis plant is a known scavenger of metals

Plant feed on many nutrients minerals and rejects them as well, as to specific species, many want certain specific minerals and nutrients, example mustard with yellow flowers will pull more sulfur. Some plants don’t discriminate as much and pull traces of a broader range minerals and nutrients. 

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Conclusion:  Same as growing your own fruits & veggies at home, one should smoke homegrown Ganga ????

Thank you for the information. I had no clue, but looked it up. Heavy metals are in a lot of our foods, coming from numerous sources, not necessarily related to specific pesticides of a specific country either

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then how come it is illegal in most countries and don't come with the example and state a few countries where it is legal. Where I live and you smoke 1 joint at home, and you get stopped by the cops next day you will be walking home and no I have nothing against smoking dope, but you should not drive next day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Then how come it is illegal in most countries and don't come with the example and state a few countries where it is legal. Where I live and you smoke 1 joint at home, and you get stopped by the cops next day you will be walking home and no I have nothing against smoking dope, but you should not drive next day.

It was made illegal originally because it was competing with the hemp plant that was used for making rope. Rope was of critical importance back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Going off topic a bit, but another story from back in the day regarding metal in the body.

There is an old legend regarding royalty having "Blue Blood". This came from the fact that many members of Royal families and the Aristocracy had a blue tinge to their skin. It was discovered that it was caused by Silver. Many of the wealthy used silver dishes and cutlery. It is a Precious metal, so it didn't cause any harm.

Edited by Joe Farang
sic
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Better tell old Mitch McConnell to lay off the (meds) he’s spacing out lol ???? 

He is not spacing out, it's Karma  finally catching up with this hideous manipulator. Hell is waiting for him . Once he gets there, he will wish he had some weed/meds to space him out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had dealings with extreme users (the ones who smoke 20 or 30 a day) and this explains their madness, stupidity and totally incomprehensible behavior. It may also explain their nuisance need for loud noise and music since heavy metals damage the Aural (Hearing nerve) link to the brain.

• Confused 1