Does money make YOU happy?

bob smith

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Please keep in mind that Freud is already very discredited.

He was a Social Scientist, and as such, what value should we place in much of his theories, since they cannot be validated.

If you are still such a Freud Freak, then there must be some deep seated reason why, and maybe you need further analysis, just to get to the BOTTOM of it, and the Anal Eroticism thing.

I never said I was a Freud freak or that I am promoting Freudian psychoanalysis. 

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I doubt very much that this is helpful in explaining psychological issues people may have concerning money.

Sure, you may think of money as being dirty, I suppose.

And where does dirt COME FROM?

Do you have a theory about the origin of dirt, for example?

You're making incorrect assumptions about his theories. This exchange is pointless. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Your making incorrect assumptions about his theories. This exchange is pointless. 

You made strong claims. Poo and anal sex and money. You need to prove it. Otherwise it sounds made up or out of context.

Lots of famous people get misquoted. Most Buddha quotes are fake for example.

Money pays for pleasures that can distract you from your misery. Money also provides comforts while you search for fulfillment.

These days comforts and pleasures can be had so easily but misery still as common as fulfillment is absent.

It's complicated. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

Post a link. Otherwise just a hollow claim.

Here is my theory, for what it's worth:

JT lived some of his youth in a very bohemian  and poverty-stricken way.

Then, he saw the light after he freaked out.

He returned to "traditional society" and worked his butt off to become a Freudian Analyst.

And now, after so many years of hard work on Freud, due to Festinger's Theory of Cognitive Dissonance, JT is unable to recognize that his Freudian days were completely wasted pouring over the writings of Sigmund Freud.

And now, we must listen to talk of feces, as a result.

IMHO, most present-day scientists do not give much credence to the religion of  Freud.

Unfortunately, since Freudian Analysis is a religion, it would be next to impossible to argue logically with a Freudian Psychotherapist.

(Anyway...by now...JT is OUT OF HERE, because, presumably, the above has been just too much analysis for him.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

He returned to "traditional society" and worked his butt off to become a Freudian Analyst.

And now, after so many years of hard work on Freud, due to Festinger's Theory of Cognitive Dissonance, JT is unable to recognize that his Freudian days were completely wasted pouring over the writings of Sigmund Freud.

IMHO, most present-day scientists do not give much credence to the religion of  Freud.

Unfortunately, since Freudian Analysis is a religion, it would be next to impossible to argue logically with a Freudian Psychotherapist.

(Anyway...by now...JT is OUT OF HERE, because, presumably, the above has been just too much analysis for him.)

Who knew that you have a bug up your tuchus about dear old Sigmund?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Mostly outdated nonsense i think.

People spend money to reduce pain. Shoes are less painful than barefeet. Sweets make you feel better. Nice clothes make you feel important.

So people who buy expensive stuff are basically mentally weak and in pain emotionally.

Couch session over,

BN

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My understanding is that the most common reason for DIVORCES (or similar separations) is conflct over money.

As stated, each person has their own psychology of money (which naturally they developed from childhood with whatever nature/nurture causes applicable to them).

Then two people get together. They're going to be different about money often radically different. Money choices and psychology reflects deep seated personal values.  That needs to be worked out somehow. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Who knew that you have a bug up your tuchus about dear old Sigmund?

Why would I not???

Nice to hear, again, this familiar word, tuchus, though...

(Must you always talk about tuchus???)

(But Freud is OK for Woody. I'm OK with that, just because it's for educational purposes only, and amusing.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

59 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please keep in mind that Freud is already very discredited.

He was a Social Scientist, and as such, what value should we place in much of his theories, since they cannot be validated.

If you are still such a Freud Freak, then there must be some deep seated reason why, and maybe you need further analysis, just to get to the BOTTOM of it, and the Anal Eroticism thing.

Sometimes we should try to limit our brains capacity to "think too much". There is a reason why Psychiatrists in the US are commonly known as "shrinks".

If old Sigmund Freud would be living in our time, he would have come to the conclusion that:

"Happyness is not a warm gun mama". Much rather:

"As long as you can pay for a decent BJ after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner, this is the utmost form of happyness you should aspire to". The rest is twisting your brain.

He would also have arrived at the conclusion that "love" is nothing else than hormones going wild and electro magnetic storms racing within our brains, giving the strict command: REPRODUCE NOW!

Even he would find something like his "Oedipus-Complex" rather amusing today. Among other things.

2 minutes ago, swissie said:

Sometimes we should try to limit our brains capacity to "think too much". There is a reason why Psychiatrists in the US are commonly known as "shrinks".

If old Sigmund Freud would be living in our time, he would have come to the conclusion that:

"Happyness is not a warm gun mama". Much rather:

"As long as you can pay for a decent BJ after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner, this is the utmost form of happyness you should aspire to". The rest is twisting your brain.

He would also have arrived at the conclusion that "love" is nothing else than hormones going wild and electro magnetic storms racing within our brains, giving the strict command: REPRODUCE NOW!

Even he would find something like his "Oedipus-Complex" rather amusing today. Among other things.

Do shrinks look happy? If not why take advice from them?

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Pot, kettle.

I am not calling the kettle...

I am IN AWE of the kettle.

My guess is that JT has:

a. Two high-speed internet connections (one for backup)

b.  Two workstations.. Each powered by the 4th Gen Intel Xeon W9-3495X CPU (Bt340,000.00 per CPU):

image.png.610b446b8d829de7e0c1230703b3a909.png

The above is the 3475X (only)

c. High Power (3000 Watt) Water Kettle for Tea

image.png.6216eac935c5db4537568346bf6a540d.png

d. Fastest Keyboard:

image.png.40c2f1d8d96133f226f5a3df69430be4.png

e. Time

image.png.46d52548b091f35f8ef4312cd4ed48db.png

f.....

Oh, Wait.

This sounds like a Topic.

Somebody should do a Topic on this topic.

Maybe, someday, somebody will.....

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Having been struggling much of my life, It's certainly better to be wealthy.

Now I can buy a flash car, fancy clothes, latest phone without worrying too much about the cost or bills.

I'm not a particularly handsome middle aged guy, but I'm occasionally dating much younger women now, some half my age or less  - This is in the UK.  This wouldn't really happen when I was poor/struggling.

Yes, that makes me happy.  And I worry about losing this wealth as I don't want my old life.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

I tried explaining this once to a thai girl. she told me her dream was to marry a rich man and I told her that money wont bring her happiness.

I don't make it public that I have enough money to last me till I reach 101, suffice to say, why on earth would I want any Thai to know how much wealth I have accumulated over the years, that would be throwing salt into their wound.

Every woman wants to marry a rich guy, regardless if ethnicity.

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

So, does money make you happy?

If so, how?

Happiness is within, money to me provides me the freedom and comforts that I like, that said, I am usually a happy guy 24/7.

Let's put it another way, money doesn't make me unhappy.

Ray Liotta Laughing GIF - Ray Liotta Laughing Drunk GIFs

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bignok said:

Very few nice rich people. Money and power goes to their heads.

I worked in private banking. They're very kind.

They're like 'you're going to do every last thing for me, in a polite and entertaining manner, and I'm going to then really over-egg my appreciation. Ta-ta!'. The Kardashians are the living example of this. They're nice because their whole life is.

What's worse was the bank class called mass-affluent ($2M, minimum balance for a Coutt's account). Dentists who own car washes. Lots of tire-kicking, stupid questions. No bottle of Dewars at Christmas.

Due to lingering connections to that life, I found myself at a large dinner table with one of the younger Trumps this year.

Very pleasant and ego-free. Gagging to come to Thailand. Likes a green curry.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

ive been dirt poor and ive been quite rich.

right now i have more than enough money to last me the rest of my life.

but somehow I see my happiness level slowly decreasing as my personal wealth accumulates. 

Does anyone else notice this?

when i was dirt poor i was free in many ways that i am no longer.

when you have money you are a slave to everyone who wants to get it from you.

slave to the latest iphone, fastest car, newest rolex etc

when you are poor none of that matters.

you just dont care.

I tried explaining this once to a thai girl. she told me her dream was to marry a rich man and I told her that money wont bring her happiness.

She looked at me as if i had farted. she was extremely offended by this notion and almost got up and walked out of the restaurant. 

So, does money make you happy?

If so, how?

I find that money is a tool to use whenever you need it. but as for bringing one happiness?

i've yet to experience that.

when you have money you are a slave to everyone who wants to get it from you.

slave to the latest iphone, fastest car, newest rolex etc

This is an issue specific to an Individual. 

A rich person can enjoy the luxuries available without being a slave. 

• Like 1