Nana Sukhumvit 4

Gabe H Coud

Complete newbie re Bangkok despite living Thailand 12 years

Staying 2 nights in Suk 4 

Looking for good nightlife, not necessarily for women(if that happens it happens) more good bars atmosphere live music. Especially fond of rock music

I've heard of Hillarys 1 & 2 but that's it 

A few tips from the savants would be appreciated thanks 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To make sure there is no misunderstanding on your side.

In Nana Plaza or anywhere on Soi 4 women don't "happen". At least 99% expect money. Some tell you this up front, others not. Don't expect to go "home" with a girl because she loves you so much. Maybe she does, but she still wants money.

In general, be prepared to walk around and have a look here and there. The quality of places changes all the time. You might find great information about a bar which was a great bar some time ago, but not anymore. And sometimes it changes from good to bad within a few weeks.

Look inside, if you think you might like it, have a drink. If not, move on, there are enough places.

Enjoy!

When I said happen I meant whether i was in the mood etc, not expecting freebies at all. I'm a man of the world but just not Bangkok 

Noted about places being 'in' then out, hence why was looking for in place now 

I'll explore for sure was just looking for some heads ups even if that meant going to another district 

Thanks 

Edited by Gabe H Coud
  • Like 1

It will take you 5 - 10 minutes to walk down/up Soi 4 (to Soi 6), to get a feel for the live music scene.

There are walking videos on Youtube, news ones posted almost daily.

Hillary 2, and Hillary 1 had live cover bands (Thai back-up, Singers from the Philippines usually) on Friday night 1 Sep.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Complete newbie re Bangkok despite living Thailand 12 years

Staying 2 nights in Suk 4 

Looking for good nightlife, not necessarily for women(if that happens it happens) more good bars atmosphere live music. Especially fond of rock music

I've heard of Hillarys 1 & 2 but that's it 

A few tips from the savants would be appreciated thanks 

There are a lot of bars that fit your need all along starting as soon as you turn the corner until yo get to ibis.

Hooters is the only bar without avail women.  Bunny isn't bad.

• Like 1

Great rock music: The Rock (Rachathewi BTS) fantastic band every 2nd Tuesday from 10 pm, next time Tuesday Sep 12th. The other Tuesdays more a metal band. Great rock trio every Wednesday from10.15 pm at Shenannigans, Patpong, Surawong side. The bans at Penny Black, soi Cowboy are quite good, but not specifically rock.

• Like 2

Nana is a neighborhood.  Soi 4 is moving 7 P.M. to 2 A.M. otherwise it is quiet    BUT the neighborhood has Soi 8  a different animal   Bars and restaurants    There are 3-4 Supermarkets nearby and the cheapest Thai lunch  in BKK  (Ploencit Ctr)     Soi 6 is quiet 100 ft down from Soi 4 at any time even at night 

There is T21 on 1 end and Central on the other       

Sorry I can’t recommend the type of bar with music you are looking for. 
But I would recommend  doing a google search and considering a different district.  
Sure Nana has bars with music.  But it is basically an area to meet freelancers.  Because the area is loaded with them. 
And you seem to be focused on music, not the Nana type of scene. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Sorry I can’t recommend the type of bar with music you are looking for. 
But I would recommend  doing a google search and considering a different district.  
Sure Nana has bars with music.  But it is basically an area to meet freelancers.  Because the area is loaded with them. 
And you seem to be focused on music, not the Nana type of scene. 

ok, i thought it had both...

i did say i had no experience of the area in my OP

Are you kidding? Are you going to Nana to listen music or are you going to hear "room music"? I am not kidding just pay attention to "details". We are talking to a Kingdom where 7 to 10 people who meet on streets or malls are beautiful women.......I am not talking about professionals but average beautiful women or girls.....Last year I was online teacher teaching English to a woman who accidentaly met in facebook .Everyday 2-3 hours from Europe to Thailand online and because we have different time zone it was hard enouth for me to get up midnight......Thai woman was a clerk in Kiatnankin Bank somewhere in Northern part of the kingdom (previously I had sent English series book from a college I was graduated). I do not want to disturb you but pay attention in "details" but I always arrive happy in Bangkok and mainly I depart happier because I have many friends Bangkokians middle class although I have worked in Bangkok in a brunch of a company several years and I am from southern region of Europe.    

Girl.gif

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, sharksy said:

Some of the best bands are on Soi4 Nana, mostly Hilaries.  Maybe not exclusively rock, but always good covers and a great night out.  It's my goto area, and I'm not necessarily looking for women, just want a good night out.

Feels good to be understood 

Just because it's full of free lancers doesn't mean there's no music/good atmosphere 

But I appreciate earlier comments that there are probably better dedicated music areas 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:29 AM, Seth1a2a said:

The guy at    stickmanbangkok.com   writes a weekly bar-centric column (From New Zealand) and  keeps in touch with ears on the ground in Bangkok. Latest info I've read is that Bars like Billboard, Butterflies and  Spankys are said to be pretty popular.  If you are still around there on Sept. 9th Billboard is having an 8th anniversary blowout  with a lot of fanfare and hoopla..  Girl competition, 100 free gifts and  pizza ect.....

Soi Cowboy bar complex is further down the road near Asok and used to get a lot of selfie takers and lookie-loos due to exposure from The Hangover II movie   (2011)

Great recommendation for those looking for women.  Did you miss the bit where he specifically posted that he wasn't looking for women?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You missed the bit where he specifically posted

No.  he did not specifically post that he wasn't looking for women. Nor do my recommendations anchor on that point.

This is what he wrote .....

On 9/3/2023 at 1:14 AM, Gabe H Coud said:

Looking for good nightlife, not necessarily for women(if that happens it happens) more good bars atmosphere live music.

2 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Just because it's full of free lancers doesn't mean there's no music/good atmosphere 

Nana's Billboard bash is once a year . It has free gifts, food and  a contest .

Soi Cowboy has live music and a higher number of tourists passing through. Both areas are generally considered to be entertaining  without a liason with a sex worker.

2 minutes ago, Seth1a2a said:
38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You missed the bit where he specifically posted

No.  he did not specifically post that he wasn't looking for women.

Yes, he did...

On 9/3/2023 at 4:14 PM, Gabe H Coud said:

Looking for good nightlife, not necessarily for women

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

not necessarily for women

Do you understand what this means ?

https://www.merriam-webster.com

"not necessarily" , idiom.....

possibly but not certainly 
used to say that something is not definitely true

That's why he added 

(if that happens it happens)

You appear to be English. If that's the way you understand it fine.

We define the term differently where I am from.

At any rate hopefully The poster  @gabe-h-coud has enough information to make the best of his short stay in the Lower Sukhumvit area ....

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, Gabe H Coud said:

Thanks for replies 

If I can push the envelope a bit... 

What about proper clubby music? Any clubs near there? Progressive/deep house? 

Love that <deleted> and we don't get any in Hua Hin, too sleepy haha 

Head over to Soi 11. Plenty of decent, modern bars/clubs with up to date music.

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Head over to Soi 11. Plenty of decent, modern bars/clubs with up to date music.

I'd second that.  Soi 11 has come on a lot in the last few years - the deeper you go, the better it gets. However, be careful down there, there's quite a large contingent of 'normal' Thai's there enjoying a (normal) good night out as well as the usual freelancers. So if you're not careful, you are just as likely to get your face slapped as you are to 'score' a freelancer.

Soi 4 just isn't the same as it used to be and large parts of it are now being taken over by certain nationalities - attracting their compatriates as customers. If you want a good hour or two sampling the 'bar scene' - I find Cowboy to be much better.  However, you really have to keep track of your spending when you're on Cowboy.

I commented to a friend recently that the girls in the bars on Sukhumvit are nowhere near as pretty as they used to be 20 years ago when I first visited and they seem older.  He replied "Yeah, its the same girls" 😁😁😁

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Haha 1