What does this article mean....

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Well you might ask. It is referring to those granted permanent residence. I am nearly sure the headline is incorrect. The limit on the number of PR recipients for 2023 will be a maximum of 50 stateless persons plus a maximum of 100 per country for those who are not stateless. Thus, it might be 30 stateless, 100 UK, 74 US, 100 India etc. I believe the announced limits are the most allowed by the current laws.

Thanks, I didn't realize that the quota was a maximum of 100 annually per country. 

It sounds crazy to apply the same quota for populous countries like India, China, USA and small countries.  

But the requirements for permanent residence are such that there are relatively little applications for that.  Do you know by any chance the number of permanent residences that were handed out during the last 5 years?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks, I didn't realize that the quota was a maximum of 100 annually per country. 

It sounds crazy to apply the same quota for populous countries like India, China, USA and small countries.  

But the requirements for permanent residence are such that there are relatively little applications for that.  Do you know by any chance the number of permanent residences that were handed out during the last 5 years?

I'd be interested in seeing the actual PR numbers, although I'm not sure if they are public.

I've been told their might be around 20 US citizens a year who receive PR status. So no where near the 100 limit.  Of course more do qualify and try to apply, but may not be interested in paying the VIP service fees through an agent that are required just to get an application in the queue.  Compare that to around 8,000 Thais/year who get US green cards and it doesn't seem like a fair exchange.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've heard that to get Thai citizenship (or is it same as UK, subjectship), one has to be able to speak and understand Thai.

And what is the cost? Or is it maybe free! I'm interested.

There is a long thread here on AseanNow on the Thai citizenship process. Unlike the Permanent Residency application, the application fee for Thai citizenship is negligible, only 10,000 baht.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is a long thread here on AseanNow on the Thai citizenship process. Unlike the Permanent Residency application, the application fee for Thai citizenship is negligible, only 10,000 baht.

I'm gonna take a look. Ten grand for the whole thing. Cheap or cheap?

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:
18 hours ago, BritTim said:

I'm gonna take a look. Ten grand for the whole thing. Cheap or cheap?

AFAIK You need to be working in Thailand and paying taxes to be eligible.

• Like 1