How do Thais stay slim?

FruitPudding

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

No, not right. Don't make it complicated.

so thermogenics is fake.. 2 identical people, who consume the same calories and one who takes amphetamines burn the same output.. 

Thats nonsense. 

A buddy of mine, getting middle aged and out of shape went and has his hormones done, started TRT, without any change in diet or working out dropped about 10 - 12 kilos and reverted back to shape with no lifestyle change. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, I'm not. You obviously only met lazy ones, unlike myself. My wife was very active. Worked really hard.

One Thai woman doesn't mean they're all active.  In general they're lazy when it comes to exercise or being active.  Unless you have a completely different definition of active.  And I'm no Thai basher. They have a lot of qualities but being active is definitely not one of them,  but they're not alone in that these days.   As most countries citizens are fairly inactive these days. 

Not sure, but they will not be slim in the next 10 years....go to any mall and look at the crap western food that they eat.  Look at the kids eating the Lays potato chips and other processed food.  Then you have KFC, Taco Bell and sugary sodas...

It is over Johnny.

I disagree with the premise of Thais being slim.  It is a carbon copy of 1980's Usa people ballooning into obesely fat.

Nobody seems to be discussing the mental aspect of weight.  Your mind has a large impact on proper body functions.  If you are under constant stress and worry the digestive system does not function correctly and weight can pile up.

God and prayer was removed from schools in the Usa in the 1970s.  We used to have prayers in school before recess, ballgames, and lunch breaks.

A very important 88 year old passed away in Thailand on the 13th of October 2016.  A living god.  Universally loved and revered by all citizens.

The concept of an omnipotent being safeguarding citizens reduces stress and worry which is also very important ingredient of healthy, slim citizens.  I agree with the proper diet and exercise too.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Not sure, but they will not be slim in the next 10 years....go to any mall and look at the crap western food that they eat.  Look at the kids eating the Lays potato chips and other processed food.  Then you have KFC, Taco Bell and sugary sodas...

It is over Johnny.

It's not just western food, but an increase in calorie intake with increasing wealth - mainly food rich in calories in restaurants. Combined with many kids these days stuck on their devices on their butts. They simply are not buring off excess calories. I would say 30-50% of my students are overweight, and a few (these are kids from well-off families, and not indicative of the wider population). It is often gils who are overweight, or "soft" as I put it, as the boys that play sport at lunch breaks are in better shape. 

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No, wrong again, change diet and lose weight, get it?

No, he won't get it. For him kcal is something magically where some people can eay 10,000 kcal a day and not gain anything while he eats 500kcal a day and gaining weight. It's hilarious. It's MAGIC. ????

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, paulikens said:

One Thai woman doesn't mean they're all active.  In general they're lazy when it comes to exercise or being active.  Unless you have a completely different definition of active.  And I'm no Thai basher. They have a lot of qualities but being active is definitely not one of them,  but they're not alone in that these days.   As most countries citizens are fairly inactive these days. 

Sounds like you never got out of the city. Go live in a village for a while to see a different side of Thai life. No shopping malls, 7 11, KFC or Macs.

Get up in morning get dressed for work

Maybe have a cup of instant coffee before leaving the house

Stop before getting to work and buy a skewer or two of chicken or pork

Lunch get some rice and pork with chillies and vegetables

Dinner have rice with pork or chicken or fish and vegetables/mushrooms

Repeat the next day

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

It is over Johnny.

Also the junk in 7-11’s on every corner & family marts. That’s where a lot of people are snacking, not fast food restaurants.

The only thing I can find in there that’s nutritious is the frozen case with the microwave meals. Kudos that they heat these up for free.

Edited by JimTripper

13 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

No, he won't get it. For him kcal is something magically where some people can eay 10,000 kcal a day and not gain anything while he eats 500kcal a day and gaining weight. It's hilarious. It's MAGIC. ????

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No, wrong again, change diet and lose weight, get it?

Stop making excuses and start working out and exercising. It takes hard work. No way around it.

There’s no MAGIC pill that will let you sit on your arse all day and be fit and healthy. Get it?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:57 AM, FruitPudding said:

They don't prioritize whole grains

This is probably precisely why they are so thin. Wheat, grains, breads of all kinds - Humans are not adeptly evolved to consume these efficiently. Almost everyone has some form of Celiac's disease, eating wheat and grains causes inflammation. Bread and white flour just gets converted into a form of sugar in the body. Western diets filled with wheat and grains, also lots of fat and miserable people. Not a coincidence.

1 minute ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

This is probably precisely why they are so thin. Wheat, grains, breads of all kinds - Humans are not adeptly evolved to consume these efficiently. Almost everyone has some form of Celiac's disease, eating wheat and grains causes inflammation. Bread and white flour just gets converted into a form of sugar in the body. Western diets filled with wheat and grains, also lots of fat and miserable people. Not a coincidence.

Lot's of people eat white bread and other carbs like me and are healthy and slim.  Most fat people eat too much fatty junk, but have a diet coke and thinks that's good

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lot's of people eat white bread and other carbs like me and are healthy and slim.  Most fat people eat too much fatty junk, but have a diet coke and thinks that's good

It's great that we have one voice of reason backed by traditional science.

So many people get caught up in fad diets (e.g. keto).

What's an example of your typical daily diet and exercise routine?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The science still says wheat is really bad for you, gluten induced inflammation causes a host of problems like leaky gut, arthritis, random aches and pains. 

You would probably feel a bit better if you cut out all wheat and (dairy) for a bit.

https://youtu.be/hK111hngfoc?si=ST5WmNwOgQXTLB5m

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

13 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

The science still says wheat is really bad for you, gluten induced inflammation causes a host of problems like leaky gut, arthritis, random aches and pains. 

You would probably feel a bit better if you cut out all wheat and (dairy) for a bit.

Tell that to my grandparents who lived to their 90s on a diet heavy on bread, butter, and milk.

Some people are gluten intolerant.

You are taking your quack science (which mostly hasn't been proven through rigorous trials, btw) and trying to apply it to everyone.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

I used to like this guy too, until I saw videos of doctors and scientists debunking what he was saying showing scientific evidence that went against what he was saying.

He can easily fool me or you, but he gets picked apart so easily by real doctors.

He's just trying to profit from this keto trend, like so many others.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Tell that to my grandparents who lived to their 90s on a diet heavy on bread, butter, and milk.

Some people are gluten intolerant.

You are taking your quack science (which mostly hasn't been proven through rigorous trials, btw) and trying to apply it to everyone.

Your grandparents didn't eat refined supermarket bread I'm guessing. The shelf life of most of the grains when exposed to oxygen is around 7 hours. Flour sits on shelves for months, so they add bleach spray it with synthetic vitamins and call it "enriched." The gluten-protein acts as a microbe in the body and causes an immune response, that's why there's Chron's disease, Celiac's disease, wheat allergies. The immune response in the body manifests as these disorders.

Dismissing something as Quackery because you don't like it or never heard of it before is a childish copout. Go do your own research.

24 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

It's great that we have one voice of reason backed by traditional science.

So many people get caught up in fad diets (e.g. keto).

What's an example of your typical daily diet and exercise routine?

No Keto make yourself sick diet for me, the toxins will build up for those carb phobics.

For me food wise, High Carb Low Fat.

Breakfast often 2 jam toast or porridge or both if hungry

Lunch, often fried chicken and vegetables on rice, no oil if possible. Top up with a fruit smoothie, add sugar if not sweet enough

Fruit during the day inbetween meals.

Dinner, usually a falang type meal, meat two veg, usually not big enough for me so top up with jam on toast and another fruit smoothie with sugar.

Exercise, 4 cycles a week usually around 100km each time 30kph. Golf twice a week.

It's about self discipline, being able to control what you eat, if i want chocolate, ice cream, pastries, it's once a week max, usually alcohol on Fridays

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I used to like this guy too, until I saw videos of doctors and scientists debunking what he was saying showing scientific evidence that went against what he was saying.

He can easily fool me or you, but he gets picked apart so easily by real doctors.

He's just trying to profit from this keto trend, like so many others.

Well that's just one guy and one result I pulled up, there's tons of videos and articles. So, that example is not just cherry-picked quackery that only he alone is saying. There are tons.

20 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

i feel good anyway, have minimal dairy milk these days. Bread is a good filler. There was a study done where they got this group of guys to eat 4-6 extra slices of bread a day for a period, they all lost weight, the theory is they are full so don't eat junk

Your grandparents didn't eat refined supermarket bread I'm guessing.

Well, they ate the same bread as me for the last few decades of their life (minimum) which was bought from the supermarket. Lol.

I don't suppose they had non supermarket bread since they were very young.

Dismissing something as Quackery because you don't like it or never heard of it before is a childish copout. Go do your own research.

That video you posted of Eric Berg is quackery. 

He isn't even a doctor. He's a chiropractor and a YouTuber. That's it!

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

i feel good anyway, have minimal dairy milk these days. Bread is a good filler. There was a study done where they got this group of guys to eat 4-6 extra slices of bread a day for a period, they all lost weight, the theory is they are full so don't eat junk

Dairy IMO is way worse than bread. Some wheat like sprouted Ezekiel bread is ok to eat in moderation. 

It's the genetically modified, supermarket mass-farmed wheat that is particularly horrible for you. 

Dairy IMO is way worse than bread. Some wheat like sprouted Ezekiel bread is ok to eat in moderation. 

It's the genetically modified, supermarket mass-farmed wheat that is particularly horrible for you. 

it's fine, don't believe all the rubbish you watch on YouTube, i used to eat all the "healthy" breads, switched to white and much easier to digest, does the job

51 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Western diets filled with wheat and grains, also lots of fat and miserable people.

Speak for yourself. My Western family seem truly happier than my Thai family who barely eat gluten.

51 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Not a coincidence

Is that the extent of your scientific evidence? Lol