Voice referendum: Lies fuel racism ahead of Australia's Indigenous vote

Social Media

image.png

"People have been let off the leash," Thomas Mayo says quietly, swiping through screenshots.

Racist memes depicting First Nations Australians as "grifters", "wife beaters" and "primitives" flash across his phone.

Then, personal threats appear - accusing him of "providing cover for evil".

Mr Mayo is one of the public faces of the Yes campaign in Australia's historic Voice to Parliament referendum, to be held on 14 October.

If successful, the vote will change the nation's constitution for the first time in 46 years, creating a body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to advise the government on policies affecting their communities.

Opinion polls had long shown support for the change but now suggest the No vote is leading.

Though some argue the shift reflects public sentiment, Yes campaigners blame it on an ecosystem of disinformation - which they say is being led by figures in the No camp and "amplified" by suspicious accounts on social media.

Independent experts say the most "pernicious" and pervasive falsehoods "spreading like wildfire" online concern race.

Amid all the noise, concerns are growing over the mental health of First Nations communities, who find themselves at the centre of an increasingly divisive debate.

And questions are again being raised over whether Australia is ready to grapple with the open wounds at the heart of its nationhood.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Let's hope Australia kicks this out. They tend to follow the US and UK's mistakes and import all the same issues.

Damnit Cobber, where's my gun? Oh, that's right, in an amnesty they were handed in and destroyed! Not really following the US there are we??? ????

7 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Damnit Cobber, where's my gun? Oh, that's right, in an amnesty they were handed in and destroyed! Not really following the US there are we??? ????

Do you understand the term "tends to follow". Here's a clue, it doesn't mean "always follows".

image.png.5c3e968d58d3cc2aca66cd0fe1ce2673.png

But actually they followed the UK on that one. ????

Next...

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You support for building racism into constitutions is well noted.

I am glad you are clear on my disdain for identity politics and the racist/sexist ideology it promotes.

I’m not sure you understand what racism is, your posts above indicate you were unable to recognize the racism in the memes reported at the top of the OP.

They didn’t didn’t make your observation of ‘the only racism here’.

Where I have identified your blindness to overt racism by direct reference to your own posts, you’ll struggle to find any post by me supporting racism of any kind.

Give it a go, see if you can find a post by me supporting racism, feel free to quote my exact words in context.

In the event you can’t find a post by me supporting racism then do the right thing and refrain from stating that I do.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, JonnyF said:

If you support building race into the Australian constitution, you support racist policies. You can clutch your pearls and virtue signal, and dress it up in flowery, caring, #bekind language, but that is what you are doing. You are supporting a racist policy.

Simple as...

Please provide a link to any post I have made in support of your assertion:

”You are supporting a racist policy.”

Simple as that Johnny, provide a link to me posting any statement in support of any racist policy.

Or are you making baseless assertions?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Why not save me the hours of searching your thousands and thousands of posts of drivel to confirm what we already know.

Do you support this policy? Yes or No

Do you support positive discrimination in the US? Yes or No.

The proposal is, I believe, to be voted on by Australian citizens, I think it’s clear they will decide.

The proposal itself is not the subject of the thread.

How did US policies get in to this?

Perhaps you can now provide a link to your assertion of me supporting racist policies.

You made that assertion, now either back it up or retract your assertion.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The proposal is, I believe, to be voted on by Australian citizens, I think it’s clear they will decide.

The proposal itself is not the subject of the thread.

How did US policies get in to this?

Perhaps you can now provide a link to your assertion of me supporting racist policies.

You made that assertion, now either back it up or retract your assertion.

Nicely swerved.

Too ashamed to admit it? Can't say I'm surprised. It's pretty abhorrent.

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nicely swerved.

Too ashamed to admit it? Can't say I'm surprised. It's pretty abhorrent.

Now you claim it’s because ‘I’m ashamed to admit it’.

Admit what?

Or is that you accepting you have zero evidence to back your accusations?

Do the right thing Johnny, accept you made a baseless accusation.

• Sad 1