E-Visa - Accepted Proof Of Current Residency?

Hi

I’m planning to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa and one of the required uploads is: ‘Document indicating current residency’. 

As no examples are given on the E-Visa website I’m hoping someone can tell me what will be accepted to meet this requirement (U.K. citizen). 

Many thanks for any suggestions.

In the USA the evisa system accepts a variety of  statements showing address,  bank statement,  current drivers license, utility bill, pension payment. mortgage statement, etc. I presume it would be the same in the UK

If it's for proof of legal residency in the UK I upload a copy of my passport.

If it's for proof of current address in the UK I upload a copy of my most recent bank statement showing address. I believe any utility bill is also acceptable.

Edited by Keeps
added to

14 hours ago, Dan O said:

In the USA the evisa system accepts a variety of  statements showing address,  bank statement,  current drivers license, utility bill, pension payment. mortgage statement, etc. I presume it would be the same in the UK

Documents submitted for an E-visa are checked by the local embassy so interpretation lies with them. An address does not indicate legal residence.

I used my passport without a problem in the UK and that does not show an address. I also know people in the UK that have used bank statements without a problem.

Difficult to put a definitive answer on an ambiguous question.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Documents submitted for an E-visa are checked by the local embassy so interpretation lies with them. An address does not indicate legal residence.

I used my passport without a problem in the UK and that does not show an address. I also know people in the UK that have used bank statements without a problem.

Difficult to put a definitive answer on an ambiguous question.

As I said you can submit a variety of documents and most are accepted. No guarantee on that though. 

FYI a passport doesn't prove residence either although is accepted in most cases.  A PP is proof of citizenship  and identification not residency. 

Let the debate start

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

As I said you can submit a variety of documents and most are accepted. No guarantee on that though. 

FYI a passport doesn't prove residence either although is accepted in most cases.  A PP is proof of citizenship  and identification not residency. 

Let the debate start

"Residence" has two meanings in the context of applying for a visa. One is right of abode. If you are a citizen of the country where you are applying, the passport copy is sufficient to prove that. The other is being physically present in the country on the date you apply. That is harder to prove, and I would not try unless the embassy ask for proof.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

"Residence" has two meanings in the context of applying for a visa. One is right of abode. If you are a citizen of the country where you are applying, the passport copy is sufficient to prove that. The other is being physically present in the country on the date you apply. That is harder to prove, and I would not try unless the embassy ask for proof.

Not sure what you mean by "Right of Abode".  It typically means you are not a citizen and have no PP for the country you live in but are allowed to live there. PP verifies citizenship and identification and not residency even if its accepted for that. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Not sure what you mean by "Right of Abode".  It typically means you are not a citizen and have no PP for the country you live in but are allowed to live there. PP verifies citizenship and identification and not residency even if its accepted for that. 

Right of abode means that you can travel to the country whenever you like. and stay there long term. Indeed, a citizen has right of abode, and the passport is sufficient. If you are not a citizen, you must prove that you have right of abode in some other way, often with some kind of residency certificate. The US green card is a good example. This is distinct from such things as tax residency or primary residence which are not relevant to where you are allowed to apply for a visa.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Right of abode means that you can travel to the country whenever you like. and stay there long term. Indeed, a citizen has right of abode, and the passport is sufficient. If you are not a citizen, you must prove that you have right of abode in some other way, often with some kind of residency certificate. The US green card is a good example. This is distinct from such things as tax residency or primary residence which are not relevant to where you are allowed to apply for a visa.

I think your really starting to cloud a simple issue for people reading this thread and trying to understand the E-Visa System. You explanation of Right of Abode is out of context for applying for a visa. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

I think your really starting to cloud a simple issue for people reading this thread and trying to understand the E-Visa System. You explanation of Right of Abode is out of context for applying for a visa. 

You stated that a passport (showing you are a citizen of the country) is not sufficient to show residency under the meaning intended in the e-visa system. That is wrong. A passport or other proof of right of abode is the main requirement, the other being physically present in the country when you apply. You may have adjusted your opinion by now (which would be good) but things like tax residency, time in country, and house ownership are not relevant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP is a UK citizen.

Passport ID page of his pp is sufficient for eVisa. 

So why, having already uploaded the main page of your passport and the evisa program having successfully extracted your basic data from that do you later in the process get asked for a "Document indicating current residency"?

Because TIT????

29 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

So why, having already uploaded the main page of your passport and the evisa program having successfully extracted your basic data from that do you later in the process get asked for a "Document indicating current residency"?

Because TIT????

Because the e-visa system has limited logic. There tend to be standard questions and required downloads. The requirement to download a document showing current residency exists to cover cases where someone is not a citizen of the country where they are applying.

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Because the e-visa system has limited logic. There tend to be standard questions and required downloads. The requirement to download a document showing current residency exists to cover cases where someone is not a citizen of the country where they are applying.

Thanks, but I fully understand that. My post was aimed at DrJack.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

You stated that a passport (showing you are a citizen of the country) is not sufficient to show residency under the meaning intended in the e-visa system. That is wrong. A passport or other proof of right of abode is the main requirement, the other being physically present in the country when you apply. You may have adjusted your opinion by now (which would be good) but things like tax residency, time in country, and house ownership are not relevant.

I believe you need to go back and read what I wrote and not misquote what I said.  I never said anything you wrote here in this reply.

My opinion is the same as it was in the beginning. What you wrote is a distortion of Rights of Abode.

I never said you couldn't use any document that they would accept, in fact that was one of my first posts, they accept a variety of documents for the Residence Question. If you bothered to check you will find the legal definition is a PP is a validation of Citizenship and Identification, other rights are from birth in the country. I never said you can't use it, I was correcting your statement on Rights of Abode. It does not define you are in resident in any location, ie; most of the expats that live here. I also never quoted time in country, house ownership or tax status. This is very close to gaslighting.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 2:20 AM, degodasilva said:

Hi

I’m planning to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa and one of the required uploads is: ‘Document indicating current residency’. 

As no examples are given on the E-Visa website I’m hoping someone can tell me what will be accepted to meet this requirement (U.K. citizen). 

Many thanks for any suggestions.

If you are baffled by this you are really going to stress when you get here and are faced with the rest of Thailands immigration laws and requirements... 555

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

I believe you need to go back and read what I wrote and not misquote what I said.  I never said anything you wrote here in this reply.

This was your entire post:

17 hours ago, Dan O said:

Let the debate start

You stated that a passport does not prove residence (I believe misunderstanding what "residence" means when applying using the e-visa system).

I tried to clarify that a passport is sufficient when applying in home country, and some other proof of residence only necessary if applying outside your home country. You stated that I was over complicating and confusing people.

If you are applying in home country, and have already uploaded the passport data page, you can upload a theatre ticket as proof of current country of residence if you like. The embassy is not going to care as they ignore it as soon as they see you are a citizen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Dan O said:

FYI a passport doesn't prove residence either although is accepted in most cases. 

For an application in the UK, a UK passport proves the right to legal residence and has been reported many times to have been accepted, I wasn't an exception.

Proving you are in the UK at the time of application is a separate issue which some would believe to be the interpretation, making the question ambiguous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

This was your entire post:

You stated that a passport does not prove residence (I believe misunderstanding what "residence" means when applying using the e-visa system).

I tried to clarify that a passport is sufficient when applying in home country, and some other proof of residence only necessary if applying outside your home country. You stated that I was over complicating and confusing people.

If you are applying in home country, and have already uploaded the passport data page, you can upload a theatre ticket as proof of current country of residence if you like. The embassy is not going to care as they ignore it as soon as they see you are a citizen.

I stand by my statements as I posted them. As it shows I never said you cant use it but legally it's not proof. Thats not the purpose of a PP no matter how you use it or if accepted or not.

If they accept a tampon wrapper all the better but that doesn't magically turn a tampon wrapper into a proof or residency. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

For an application in the UK, a UK passport proves the right to legal residence and has been reported many times to have been accepted, I wasn't an exception.

Proving you are in the UK at the time of application is a separate issue which some would believe to be the interpretation, making the question ambiguous.

Its great it is accepted and as I never said you can't. If immigration accepts it it doesn't change that the pp is not to show residence as you claim but citizenship and identity

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Its great it is accepted and as I never said you can't. If immigration accepts it it doesn't change that the pp is not to show residence as you claim but citizenship and identity

Why the usual going off on tangent.

The OP was specific.

For eVisa applied in UK.

All that is required is PP photo page.

End of.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Why the usual going off on tangent.

The OP was specific.

For eVisa applied in UK.

All that is required is PP photo page.

End of.

Im not the one that went off on a tangent, that would be BritTim and his insistence about a Right of Abode which had nothing to do with E-visa applications and I pointed that out and he keep on it.  Its called an open forum. So if it was End of it why are you commenting now ?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dan O said:

I did not claim anything but obviously context is not your strong point.

As a reminder, this is what I said

"For an application in the UK, a UK passport proves the right to legal residence "

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:00 PM, Dan O said:

Context again, passports grant "Right of Abode".

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dan O said:

Im not the one that went off on a tangent, that would be BritTim and his insistence about a Right of Abode which had nothing to do with E-visa applications and I pointed that out and he keep on it.  Its called an open forum. So if it was End of it why are you commenting now ?

You are completely wrong.

People can apply for an e-visa in any of the countries on the e-visa platform if they have a legal right to be there on a long term basis. Passports grant the right of abode so perfectly acceptable in the country of issue.

In other countries you would require valid long term immigration status, tourist visas  are not acceptable.

This is how it is worded on the HK e-visa website

• Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Hong Kong SAR, generally refers to (a) Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“A” HKID); (b) Hong Kong Identity Card indicating right to land (“R” HKID) or unconditional stay permit (“U” HKID); or (c) valid stay permit issued by Hong Kong Immigration (for “C” HKID holders).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are completely wrong.

People can apply for an e-visa in any of the countries on the e-visa platform if they have a legal right to be there on a long term basis. Passports grant the right of abode so perfectly acceptable in the country of issue.

In other countries you would require valid long term immigration status, tourist visas  are not acceptable.

This is how it is worded on the HK e-visa website

• Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Hong Kong SAR, generally refers to (a) Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“A” HKID); (b) Hong Kong Identity Card indicating right to land (“R” HKID) or unconditional stay permit (“U” HKID); or (c) valid stay permit issued by Hong Kong Immigration (for “C” HKID holders).

Your confusing what right of abode means with a legal authority and documentation of Right of Abode for an alien residing in a country so throwing other data in doesn't make it correct.  None of these items listed has anything to do with a passport. You need to study your law courses a bit more. Im done with this topic.