Why is walking so good for you? Here's what studies show.

Social Media

When I walk, I walk.

When I walk, I go round and round,

And up and down.

image.png.7388c021e8a4f05ce3c9e267350f6a4a.png

image.png.9d3f7de11035ea6487dfee42af8bcc8b.png

And then...

The virus hit.

Nice that I came across this Topic, I think.

The virus has gone, now.

Now is the time to build back up to 25 kilometers of walking, non-stop.

Might take awhile, but, no doubt, it'll be a piece of cake.

I would be satisfied with 16 kilometers per walk, and three walks per week.

Better that than become further ossified, I guess.

Yes, it definitely is a good thing to do.

I have set a target to achieve 10,000 steps per day that as well, as activities of ordinary daily living requires me to do some walking in addition to my biking.

My app counts them and during August I completed 340,000 steps. In September so far, 8 days) including 17,000 just today arising from walking plenty round my house this evening with soil bags (200 kgs altogether) in fact double that because I moved them all back again after clearing up the mess the dirty water it created) to prevent the flooding from being worse than it might have been. 110,000 steps in 8 days!

And where do I walk to? Nowhere, I do numerous circuits around my garden that is only 40 paces round! It isn't very interesting of course but I am not bored in the slightest!

• Like 1

I'm 65 right now. Back in the UK sorting my state pension and enjoying the chance to take long walks without melting or getting heat stroke. 

Doing the Isle of Wight coastal path in sections. Longest walk so far has been 19 kilometers. Legs were good for more but it was too hot to continue.

• Like 1

Simple velcro ankle weights can be used to amp up pretty much any walking you do. An alternative to carrying hand weights when walking.

The real beauty is that you can use lighter weights and just leave them on as you go through your normal day. Can't even see them if you wear long pants.

They're cheap, don't need batteries, and don't wear out. OTOH you do have to put them on to get benefits. ????

On 9/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, billd766 said:

Thank you for reminding that I have an elliptical machine outside that I haven't used in years.

I will have to root it out, give it a good wash and brush up and chuck some new batteries in it and see if it still works.

On 9/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, billd766 said:

It is good for people with bad knees as you work it without running and hammering your knees. IIRC I can exercise and count the time or the distance.

I gave it a good clean yesterday and replaced the batteries I had left in it years ago.

Even replacing the batteries 3 times the display does not work.

No matter as I can use the MS stopwatch feature on my phone or tablet, which will do the time and all I have to do is to figure out how to convert time into distance.

I am now up to about 1 hour 40 minutes exercise in 3 sessions a day.

I can walk abou 75 to 80 paces at a time now and I feel a lot better.

The bad news is that I will have to exercise for the rest of my life.

The good news is that I feel better and I feel that I have extended my life span.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:09 AM, grain said:

76yo and I do 6km walk daily, start at 6am and back home by 8am, I can feel my leg joints stiffening a bit in the past year but I'll keep it up for as long as I'm able. ????

Same with me at 72yo, 6-8km every morning, but the leg joints are still OK. 

It's a pity I don't have a dog to walk. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...