Crane Collapse in Sukhumvit 23 Kills Engineer, Injures Two Workers

webfact

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred on the afternoon of September 10th when a large crane collapsed at a construction site in Sukhumvit Soi 23.

The incident resulted in the death of Thitiphol "Tar" Rattanaapha, a 38-year-old electrical engineer from Asia Network Co., Ltd., and injuries to two Myanmar workers, reported Thai Rath.

The four-story building under construction was the site of the accident. Reports indicate that during a routine electrical inspection by Thitiphol on the third floor, a stationary crane below unexpectedly malfunctioned.

Its cable snapped, causing the crane's beam to crash onto Thitiphol, leading to his fatal injuries. Rescuers attempted preliminary medical assistance but were unable to save him.

The exact cause behind the malfunction remains under investigation. The injured Myanmar workers received minor wounds and were swiftly taken to the Police Hospital for treatment.

Local authorities, alongside forensic doctors and volunteers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation, are conducting a thorough investigation into the circumstances of this tragic event.

Picture: Thai Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-09-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 2

Bangkok crane catastrophe claims engineer’s life and injures Burmese workers
by Petch Petpailin

image.jpeg
Photo via Facebook/ Nonthawat Wisutthipat.

A crane collapse at a construction site within Srinakharinwirot University in the Asoke neighbourhood of Bangkok resulted in the death of a Thai engineer and caused injuries to two Burmese workers. The crane operator fled the scene amid the tragedy.

Thong Lor Police Station officers rushed to the construction site at 4pm yesterday together with the rescuers and medical professionals. The crane collapse occurred on the balcony on the third floor of an under-construction hall.

On the balcony, officers found a broken crane toppled over 38 year old engineer Thitiphon Rattana-arpa. Although rescuers worked diligently to free him from beneath the crane and administer initial aid, tragically, Thitiphon succumbed to his injuries at the scene.

The identities of the two injured Burmese workers have not been disclosed but they sustained minor injuries and were promptly taken to Police General Hospital for medical attention.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/bangkok-crane-catastrophe-claims-engineers-life-and-injures-burmese-workers

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So why say the cable snapped, as a retired crane technician, I never knew of cables ''snapping'' they will start to fray however, and any crane operator that doesn't see that...or  guy that should maintain it ....Oh I almost forgot where I was

The load is still suspended so it wasn't a 'lifting cable' that snapped. It was more likely a support cable, which could indicate an anchorage point failure.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The load is still suspended so it wasn't a 'lifting cable' that snapped. It was more likely a support cable, which could indicate an anchorage point failure.

I just noticed the cables are all slack coming from the drum, leading to 'Bird nesting' as we called it, the cable on the drum,  hard to tell exactly from the picture angle. 

As Moonlover correctly stated crane wires very rarely snap therefore it could be a rigging sling that parted, in addition, did this crane not have a load alarm fitted? Obviously crane curve safety checks were not carried out or observed.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Is that the load ? It looks like the platform behind the cab, with the counter weights on to me, not the load.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

It sounds like the tunnels of Vietnam are safer to venture through than Sukhumvit. If it isn't sinkholes or massive unlit construction holes it's falling cranes. 

Not quite raining steelwork, is it? Although there was one on soi 23 many years ago when they were putting up the Jasmine building. Crane collapsed around 20 storeys up and just fell; poor s0d in the cab was apparently still alive when they got to him, but not for long.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Is that the load ? It looks like the platform behind the cab, with the counter weights on to me, not the load.

It is the platform behind the cab. The boom is lying across the building so it does look like a wire parted. Wire inspections and greasing are probably a low priority here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes you're right. Reviewing the pictures again, one of two things happened here. Either a (supporting) cable failed and the jib dropped onto the building. ( @tubber's theory) or the operator swung the jib into the building, which could explain why he 'fled the scene'.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

What, no bamboo scaffolding?

RIP.....

With respect, if there had been, maybe the three workers would have been constructing today. Bamboo, as most of you know, is very strong and durable. It can withstand the excessive forces of tropical storms and typhoons if properly lashed together. Used widely in this part of the World. Photo taken in Hong Kong:

Hong Kong Building Construction  Bamboo - Material Stock Photo

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yes you're right. Reviewing the pictures again, one of two things happened here. Either a (supporting) cable failed and the jib dropped onto the building. ( @tubber's theory) or the operator swung the jib into the building, which could explain why he 'fled the scene'.

Without me seeing inside the cab I cant tell if the winch pulley motor is electric or hydraulic, if either of these failed, whether it be an Hydraulic valve or an Electrical fault it could result in a free fall of the cable, and going by the slack cables the drum would have been still turning when the load hit the ground, it COULD  be an operators error zzz hic . My heart goes out to the guy that has to untangle the birds nest. Its the worst job, to have to do on any crane. I've spend 3 days trying, to save the cable, bring out the hot axe. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, if there had been, maybe the three workers would have been constructing today. Bamboo, as most of you know, is very strong and durable. It can withstand the excessive forces of tropical storms and typhoons if properly lashed together. Used widely in this part of the World. Photo taken in Hong Kong:

Hong Kong Building Construction  Bamboo - Material Stock Photo

I recall seeing bamboo scaffolding in Singapore back in the 70s and 70s.

• Thanks 1