Mixed Race Thai People

LaosLover

Most of the Thai people I deal with are half-American or European. They def are super prominent where I live in real estate offices and pot stores.

I enjoy their tales of migrating back to Chiang Mai from San Diego or their student years in an English Village.

'Can't say why, but I haven't met any home-grown Western-Thai people here yet. Over the years, I have read that mixed race kids get some grief in school.

Most posters here have much more experience with Thai people than I do, including possibly kids. 

-What are pluses and minus's of being mixed race here?

-Is there a pecking order say, between kids raised and the west and not or otherwise?

-Do you have any interesting mixed race-person stories to tell?

6 minutes ago, nikmar said:

He s got a british and thai passport so that s an advantage. he s looking to live in the uK at some point.

Do you think he will?

I know a young couple who have the right to go to the states, talk about it incessantly, but are unlikely to pull the trigger. The States are expensive and Thailand is chill.

Also, if he goes, do you think he'll come back? This duel mixed race couple see living away from Thailand mostly as a way to build a nest egg.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Also, if he goes, do you think he'll come back?

no idea really. After he s 18 he can make his own decisions, my job is to support him the best I can. He could also hate it. the one toime ive taken him to the uK, I made sure to show him the bad as well. Life in a bedsit in a northern english winter will be no fun for him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Life in a bedsit in a northern english winter will be no fun for him.

-Def not, now that the rent rates have gone mad and he will be paying Hollywood rates for the privilege.

What does he want to do in England? What draws him there? Would he go to school?

This couple want to leverage their Thai-ness and youth to get some kind of personal assistant to rich people gig and live the high life in a big city. They are wise in the foibles of the white man, so I think they have a shot.

not the same but

my step son is full thai with no accent and perfect english. we took him to canada when he was around 9 and returned to thailand after he finished high school. 

when in canada we spoke 0 thai with him as i wanted him to speak english the same as any other canadian. he lost all his ability to speak thai while in canada. 

so when we came back he was in a strange position of being a full blooded thai but couldn't speak or understand. he has caught it back pretty quick in the 4 years since coming back. 

he now has dual citizenship as well. gets treated quite differently once people hear his story. some of it is good some is bad. overall it has helped his life in a lot of ways. he is almost finished thammasat inter program and is being hunted by ptt for work.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stoner said:

not the same but

my step son is full thai with no accent and perfect english. we took him to canada when he was around 9 and returned to thailand after he finished high school. 

when in canada we spoke 0 thai with him as i wanted him to speak english the same as any other canadian. he lost all his ability to speak thai while in canada. 

so when we came back he was in a strange position of being a full blooded thai but couldn't speak or understand. he has caught it back pretty quick in the 4 years since coming back. 

he now has dual citizenship as well. gets treated quite differently once people hear his story. some of it is good some is bad. overall it has helped his life in a lot of ways. he is almost finished thammasat inter program and is being hunted by ptt for work.

I doubt he has totally lost his abilities re Thai language.

Immersion in Thai language will bring it back quite quickly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apart from being bi-lingual, they are also bi-social. Conversations with them are less awkward.

Caveat about all my future observations: All of the mixed race Thai people I meet are in pot bars.

They may be a little diff from your upstanding children. Being westerner-friendly is def a leg up for a pot store employee.

• Confused 1

Unfortunately it will not work out well for lots of mix raced kids, I guess many don't even know who the father is, although they will be known as half/half, 

I personally know of two, me and the wife have been friends for many years, the daughter is now about 16 and her father died when she was young, he was from Holland, they had done nothing about any documents when she was born, I remember the mother talking to my wife were she stands on getting a passport for the daughter I said as far as I am aware she is entitled to one if you can prove who the father was, she still had all the the documents and death certificate, the mothers English is not good so she needed my wife, my wife contacted the Dutch embassy fair play to the embassy they were really helpful once we provided all the documents needed as proof they issued a birth certificate and passport, her mother has the brains to keep it valid, but she doesn't speak a word of Dutch and I'm not sure how good the daughters English is haven't seen her for a while.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

PTT is a good organization to work for for many reasons.

The management is very dynamic and keen for all of PTT (there's many subsidiaries) to become very international. They operate successfully in any countries; one good example is Vietnam where they now have a large diverse very successful footprint.

On the other hand some parts of PTT are still in  dinosaur mentality mode. 

Good luck to your son.

thanks. they came after him.

i believe his time out of thailand and fluency in english with no accent are a huge part of that. 

as you said they are international and would love to have someone like him representing them around the world. 

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

What does he want to do in England? What draws him there? Would he go to school?

he s studying in a thai school now, M4 and wants to go into sports or training. He has some dreams about being a Muay Thai instructor. He can also cook so we re looking into education possibilities for him. Train as a chef or carry on with the sports training. 

I guess the initial attrction to going to England is it will be a new way of life, experience or adventure for him. He also says that he cant stand the politics in Thailand. Im not sure he ll be any happier with English politics!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Most of the Thai people I deal with are half-American or European. They def are super prominent where I live in real estate offices and pot stores.

I enjoy their tales of migrating back to Chiang Mai from San Diego or their student years in an English Village.

'Can't say why, but I haven't met any home-grown Western-Thai people here yet. Over the years, I have read that mixed race kids get some grief in school.

Most posters here have much more experience with Thai people than I do, including possibly kids. 

-What are pluses and minus's of being mixed race here?

-Is there a pecking order say, between kids raised and the west and not or otherwise?

-Do you have any interesting mixed race-person stories to tell?

my niece's father was a cross country distance runner and her mom is a sprinter... but nobody really cares

ok just kidding - my kid is half Burmese and probably nobody knows. 

my experience is that people are much more judged individually than by race... have seen this over and again.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If a farang has good money and a good job it's got to be better to take them back to farangland for a better education and opportunities, no point going back if a shiite job, education and area

Agreed...  and conversely so.. 

If a foreigner has good money and a good job here, then paying for a top tier international school will give the Child a greater opportunity than placing them in a standard school back home (i.e. UK comprehensive).

There is the language issue: 

- Studying at an international school does not help a child's Thai.

- If the child wants a future in Thailand they have to learn extra curricular Thai.

There is also university issue (costs): 

- Firstly a family (child) has to be in the UK for 3 years to secure UK uni fees.

- The costs can be anywhere from £20,000 to £35,000 more per year than the standard ±£10,000 for resident UK students. 

- But, also, IF a child wanted to study medicine with the aim of becoming a Doctor in Thailand, they'd have to study their medical degree here (then perhaps study a masters overseas) - the same for legal services (lawyer) or Dentistry etc.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Unfortunately it will not work out well for lots of mix raced kids, I guess many don't even know who the father is, although they will be known as half/half, 

I personally know of two, me and the wife have been friends for many years, the daughter is now about 16 and her father died when she was young, he was from Holland, they had done nothing about any documents when she was born, I remember the mother talking to my wife were she stands on getting a passport for the daughter I said as far as I am aware she is entitled to one if you can prove who the father was, she still had all the the documents and death certificate, the mothers English is not good so she needed my wife, my wife contacted the Dutch embassy fair play to the embassy they were really helpful once we provided all the documents needed as proof they issued a birth certificate and passport, her mother has the brains to keep it valid, but she doesn't speak a word of Dutch and I'm not sure how good the daughters English is haven't seen her for a while.

Sorry. I lost you half way through. Without any full stops it's hard to read. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Sorry, I lost you half way through. Without any full stops it's hard to read.????

My 1/2, step, adopted brother is full Thai. My dad married his mother and adopted him. They moved back to the states. He joined the marines then took his college benefits and studied engineering and now works for NASA. (He was part of the design crew for the Mars rover). He wouldn't go back to Thailand if you paid him. :wai:

ETA: He's not mixed race, just mixed cultural upbringing - seems Thailand appeals to the old with money and not so much the young.

Edited by mrwebb8825

Moved my son out of Thailand, at age 4 he was bullied at school and at a certain point 'start to fall often' and shortly after that was beaten up by the Thai teacher. All because he was Caucasian/Thai. The food and drinks were taken from him. Now he stays in my home country, and I have to make adjustment to work. is 8 years now and starting to become a happy child again. This was in the Bangkok area. Police and juveniele Department were involved and made it possible for him to get legally out of the country. His mother also helped him out followed later due to the needed visa for her to be able to stay long in abroad to make sure he got well again.

In general the Thai children with a foreign parent they have it tougher to very worse.

If the person is attractive that goes a long way to kill off the scarlet letter.

I've taught a perhaps a dozen middle, upper middle class really pretty luk krung girls over the years and one dead handsome boy. I'd say this lot is has no problems fitting in.

The boy was so handsome the girls on the other side of the school wanted me to carry love messages to him as I happened to teach both. Ironically, he had a nickname that to me meant unwanted. Funny life is.

Edited by Jelli