a friend who might move here

1FinickyOne

13 hours ago, Celsius said:

I come from a third world country and was able to save up more than amounts quoted here....and I just turned 50. 

If these amounts are truly correct then I don't feel sorry for any of you. Just stupid to come here with literally nothing. 

I am extremely cheap charlie. My wife owns and pays for a car. Insurance, gas, everything. She owns a house yet i still spend usd 1k a month with no booze or women around.

You can't live like a Thai in Thailand. You don't have the network and you have to beg for visas and cheap healthcare. Judging by kind of dubious bargirls most shack up with here you don't even have someone watching your back.

These amounts surely can't be real?

What country is that? Many people in 3rd world countries create huge fortunes. 

And if it is stupid to come here w/little money, would it be even stupider to stay in a Western Country where you could not afford much and have to live on the streets w/the same money? 

You seem a bit out of touch - where would one go to beg for a visa? I don't think there is a window for that at immigration... 

17 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't think the income and cash in reserve is the issue.

What breaks most of the chancers is that they get locked into financial commitments they cannot afford..

Friend of mine is good example.

Has OAP, but knocked up a bargirl at 66, now has to pay for the kid and the bargirl, she extorted him into buying an expensive new car on finance, and just recently he has had to move up to her village because pushed out by rent increases down here due to the Russian invasion.

Despite receiving his pension he still has to drawn down on his meagre savings each month to balance the household budget.  Unsustainable situation....and what happens when there is financial medical emergency or otherwise.

He is isolated up there, GF is out an about all day and he is left at home watching reruns.

I told him not to move to her village because she will pick his bones clean up there and he has no safety net.  GF works in the village but does not contribute one satang to the household budget.

True love is truly grand....

Very sad he got himself into that situation.

I guess the positive is he only has around 15 years left 

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I will wait for the chap who recently complained here about being unable to exchange his bin bags for food in a 7-eleven to comment on what's a sustainable income.

He is just selective, the bargirls and ladyboys get most of it.

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

My guess was that most people have incomes of USD $1,500 - $2,000 a month... and maybe $50-$100,000 in reserve? 

And I do not know his situation other than he is not wealthy..

The officially requested 65,000baht a month is an average fair amount. However, depending of life-style you can survive for (much) less...:thumbsup: –or have a really fun retirement for much more...????

My suggestion is always to have some cash available in a "rainy day"-account, at least enough for emergency and/or a ticket back to one's home country. If you don't have a reasonable health insurance, or any health insurance, the amount needs to be higher, and high enough to cover at least some health issues. If without insurance the earlier recommended insurance amount of around 440,000 baht might be a good suggestion for a "rainy day" self insurance-savings account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is individual. Because it depends what type of lifestyle the person has. And how comfortable they want to live. 
I suggest you get more information from your friend.  This way you can get more specific responses. 

23 hours ago, still kicking said:

Health insurance I could not afford (or get)

Food just a bit less 

No rent (have my own place)

Don't entertain! 

Drinks (only at home)

No need for transport 

Hmm... this raises another question - where is he thinking of living. 10,000 thb for one room? I'm in a northern city and pay way less for a 3/2/1 in a muban.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:18 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

The answers would be in having money for health care and personal security and to pass along to your family and loved ones here... financial planning would be much easier if we had an expiration date... 

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/le-tout-nouveau-testament

Expiration dates is exactly what this really dark-funny film is about ...

I know some guys who have retired on relatively small amounts of social security or pensions. They would be alot more comfortable, and could live at a far higher standard here, than back in the West. Unless you own a home back there, it is so much more expensive to live there. 

One can live fairly well on $2,000 a month here. Not a life of luxury, but a good life. As long as you are single. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One can live fairly well on $2,000 a month here. Not a life of luxury, but a good life. As long as you are single. 

If my rent, utilities, phone, internet, and health insurance take $1,100, then I'm on 1,000 baht a day, not including visa's. I would call that more of a good but not great life, with not much margin for problems.

7 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

If my rent, utilities, phone, internet, and health insurance take $1,100, then I'm on 1,000 baht a day, not including visa's. I would call that more of a good but not great life, with not much margin for problems.

I spent 400 baht yesterday

13 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

True. But it you were living in a smaller town, your rent would be alot lower, and if you cut out the insurance mafia, and self insured, your lifestyle would likely improve.