a friend who might move here

1FinickyOne

I know this is very individual - 

How much would you say that the average retired expat has in monthly income and savings?

My guess was that most people have incomes of USD $1,500 - $2,000 a month... and maybe $50-$100,000 in reserve? 

And I do not know his situation other than he is not wealthy... 

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I know this is very individual - 

How much would you say that the average retired expat has in monthly income and savings?

My guess was that most people have incomes of USD $1,500 - $2,000 a month... and maybe $50-$100,000 in reserve? 

And I do not know his situation other than he is not wealthy... 

If you don't know his situation, how would knowing the average ex-pat's financials matter?

Ask your friend what he has in reserve, what he has for monthly income, and what kind of lifestyle he wants to maintain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't think the income and cash in reserve is the issue.

What breaks most of the chancers is that they get locked into financial commitments they cannot afford..

Friend of mine is good example.

Has OAP, but knocked up a bargirl at 66, now has to pay for the kid and the bargirl, she extorted him into buying an expensive new car on finance, and just recently he has had to move up to her village because pushed out by rent increases down here due to the Russian invasion.

Despite receiving his pension he still has to drawn down on his meagre savings each month to balance the household budget.  Unsustainable situation....and what happens when there is financial medical emergency or otherwise.

He is isolated up there, GF is out an about all day and he is left at home watching reruns.

I told him not to move to her village because she will pick his bones clean up there and he has no safety net.  GF works in the village but does not contribute one satang to the household budget.

True love is truly grand....

And nobody put himself to blame for his situation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since when has frugality and sartorial inelegance been a metric for assessing a person's character or mental health?

Never judge a book by its cover but I guess an assessment of declining mental state can begin when the miserliness and extreme parsimony interferes with their health or work.

Or leads them to crimes of theft and frauds.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

My health insurance is quite good and I pay that once a year I rent a nice two-story house and I have a car and a big bike my average monthly spending being between 40,000 and 50,000 per month my health insurance when I first got here yearly was around US$2000 after 11 years of being here my insurance is around five or $6000 and I pay that once a year that 40 to 50,000 per month is not including insurance, which I paid. Tit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The answers would be in having money for health care and personal security and to pass along to your family and loved ones here... financial planning would be much easier if we had an expiration date... 

Would you like to know your day of passing? I would. Make planning easier.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I will wait for the chap who recently complained here about being unable to exchange his bin bags for food in a 7-eleven to comment on what's a sustainable income.

He is just selective, the bargirls and ladyboys get most of it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Would you like to know your day of passing? I would. Make planning easier.

Absolutely... and the reason for passing. I don't want a slow painful disease... 

Maude chose to make her own schedule... Harold interfered with a little... 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1