Thai Driver's License Renewal (Visa Exempt)

SABloke

I have a 5 year license that will expire next year. However, I no  longer live full-time in Thailand and usually use visa-exempt when I visit (1/2 times per year). Will I be able to renew my license on Visa exempt, or should I get a non-o visa instead before applying? I plan to use a yellow book as proof of residence since I don't have a Work Permit (that's what I used last time for proof of address)

Thanks in advance for any input

3 hours ago, transam said:

On visa exempt, you will revert to a 2 year licence, 5 year are long stay visa only....

I use my yellow book, but I read some places reject it...

Thanks! Do you think a Non-O will count as long stay even if I don't extend the 90days?

21 hours ago, SABloke said:

Thanks! Do you think a Non-O will count as long stay even if I don't extend the 90days?

A Non-Immigrant type O Visa is considered as a 'resident visa'.... as such you will be (should be) eligible to renew to another 5 year licence. 

There has been varied experience to the use of the Yellow House Book as proof of address.

At DLT Area 3 in Bangkok (near Sukhumvit 99) I have used the Yellow House Book as proof of address without issue, however, there have been reports on here that some DLT offices; such as Chonburi, will not accept Yellow House Book as proof of address.

Mileage obviously varies.

IF I'm not mistaken, if you have a Pink ID card, you may not be expected to show your passport at all.

I can't quite remember for sure if upon my last renewal I presented a copy of my passport or not, I did show both my Yellow House Book and Pink ID and they took copies of both.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tbor said:

Just renewed licence for 5 years only used  yellow book and pink card  , before that on a two year licence ,which had expired three years ago , only just returned on TV

There's me thinking if a licence expired over one year, you have to start again, which will be a 2 year..............:ermm:

18 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

If you no longer live here what do you need a local DL for? You can use your home country DL and international permit

Not always.  My home DL expired during Covid and because of the time lapse now I would have to live there for months to restart the entire process and finalize it.  I can use my Thai DL and IDP at least if I need one outside the Kingdom.

18 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

That was rejected by DLC in Bangkok for me, they wanted the pink card as well.

I'm a bit confused by your comment. 

Do you mean that the DLT were not bothered about your Yellow House Book, but they processed your driving license based on your Pink ID ?

(Which DLT in Bangkok was this)

A couple of years ago I renewed my DL with my Yellow House Book and Pink ID - the did want a copy of my Pink ID so its possible that this was the key pieced of ID they wanted rather than the Yellow House Book.

(DLT Area 3 in Bangkok - nr Sukhumvit 99).

19 hours ago, transam said:

There's me thinking if a licence expired over one year, you have to start again, which will be a 2 year..............:ermm:

Thats true...  A number of years back I went to renew my licence and found out that I was a 'year out' and it was one year and one day out of date !!!... I have to go from scratch again with a 2 year Temp Licence.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats true...  A number of years back I went to renew my licence and found out that I was a 'year out' and it was one year and one day out of date !!!... I have to go from scratch again with a 2 year Temp Licence.

I renewed my three years expired license without problem because of Corona

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My two-year expired while outside Thailand, unable to return due to the covids.  Upon return about a year ago, license was over 1-year expired.  Chatuchak DLT allowed renewal upon taking the written test, was issued 5-year license.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you mean that the DLT were not bothered about your Yellow House Book, but they processed your driving license based on your Pink ID ?

(Which DLT in Bangkok was this)

I did it late last year at the DLC near Sukhumvit 101. In the previous time (5 years before) I used my Yellow Book, but this time the Yellow Book alone (although needed) was not enough. I had to go and get a pink card as well before they would renew my DL.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:55 PM, LukKrueng said:

If you no longer live here what do you need a local DL for? You can use your home country DL and international permit

Home country DL expired years ago and is a pain in the ass to renew. Also, I spend more time in Thailand than home country.