How long does evisa "pending approval" status usually last?

Last year I got my evisa via London in three days. This year I applied on Sunday and it went from document check to pending approval yesterday. I was supposed to fly out tonight so have a couple of questions:

1) How much longer am I likely to have to wait?

2) Will they approve the visa even though I've missed the flight time in the document I sent? Luckily it was a flexible ticket but they don't know that.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Not complaining at all, just asking for recent experiences.

Go to the embassy website and see what the time frame they quote for general processing is. It varies for a number of reasons so there's no real answer, thats why they give the general processing time on the site

Visa processing at the London embassy is currently an absolute shambles. All you can do is grit your teeth and see what happens. There have been several recent cases of visa approvals once it is too late to take your flight. Usually people have chosen to travel and enter visa exempt, which, of course, leads to issues with an onward flight requirement within 30 days.

• Like 1

If you look my OP from this thread from last weekend and the 2nd llne "My application was thrown out" that had initially been submitted and was pending for 6 days

I rectified the issues and it was granted from the Sunday the thread was started to Wednesday just gone

In reality probably the Monday to Wednesday

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Caldera said:

It's not like you can sue them if you feel like it's taking too long. 

That is true. The most you can do is dispute the charge with your credit card provider on the basis that the services for which you were charged were not provided.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

If you look my OP from this thread from last weekend and the 2nd llne "My application was thrown out" that had initially been submitted and was pending for 6 days

I rectified the issues and it was granted from the Sunday the thread was started to Wednesday just gone

In reality probably the Monday to Wednesday

Thank you, that's very helpful. As the document check is complete, hopefully I'll get mine early next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Visa processing at the London embassy is currently an absolute shambles. All you can do is grit your teeth and see what happens. There have been several recent cases of visa approvals once it is too late to take your flight. Usually people have chosen to travel and enter visa exempt, which, of course, leads to issues with an onward flight requirement within 30 days.

Have you heard any reports on how easy the Istanbul consulate is for non-Turkish citizens (UK) to get an SETV? I've decided to stopover there on my way back to Thailand and I suspect it may be quicker to get the visa from there. If I did and came in on that visa, would I then be able to use the evisa at a later date (before expiry of course)?

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Have you heard any reports on how easy the Istanbul consulate is for non-Turkish citizens (UK) to get an SETV? I've decided to stopover there on my way back to Thailand and I suspect it may be quicker to get the visa from there. If I did and came in on that visa, would I then be able to use the evisa at a later date (before expiry of course)?

I am not optimistic about your chances. Years ago, UK citizens were able to get Thai tourist visas in Istanbul, but I am not sure the honorary consulate there processes visas at all now (I suspect you may need to apply in Ankara) and I think there is an assumption that UK citizens will use the e-visa system, meaning they will probably not help you even if they are still allowed to issue visas. I suggest you email them to ask. I think the email address is still [email protected]

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am not optimistic about your chances. Years ago, UK citizens were able to get Thai tourist visas in Istanbul, but I am not sure the honorary consulate there processes visas at all now (I suspect you may need to apply in Ankara) and I think there is an assumption that UK citizens will use the e-visa system, meaning they will probably not help you even if they are still allowed to issue visas. I suggest you email them to ask. I think the email address is still [email protected]

Thank you! How about my chances of getting in visa exempt without hassle at BKK airport? I've been out of Thailand for just over three months after a 9 month stay. Before that I was out of Thailand for 9 months after staying September 2019 to January 2022 on an METV + covid extensions. Lots of history before that too.

Would it be ok to book a flight from BKK to Penang 60 days from my entry to Thailand or would it have to be 30 to satisfy the onward flight requirement?

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thank you! How about my chances of getting in visa exempt without hassle at BKK airport? I've been out of Thailand for just over three months after a 9 month stay. Before that I was out of Thailand for 9 months after staying September 2019 to January 2022 on an METV + covid extensions. Lots of history before that too.

Would it be ok to book a flight from BKK to Penang 60 days from my entry to Thailand or would it have to be 30 to satisfy the onward flight requirement?

If entering at Suvarnabhumi, you are likely to be questioned. Denied entry is unlikely but possible.

Onward flight requirements depend on your airline. Often, they are happy if you have a flight booked with them, even if not within 30 days, but they are less likely to accept a flight more than 30 days out on another airline. They may allow you to sign an indemnity form in lieu of an onward flight. Be ready to make a quick flight reservation at the airport if they will not check you in without.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

If entering at Suvarnabhumi, you are likely to be questioned. Denied entry is unlikely but possible.

Onward flight requirements depend on your airline. Often, they are happy if you have a flight booked with them, even if not within 30 days, but they are less likely to accept a flight more than 30 days out on another airline. They may allow you to sign an indemnity form in lieu of an onward flight. Be ready to make a quick flight reservation at the airport if they will not check you in without.

It seems nowaday they're questioning people rather than asking to see documents and cash so the indemnity form sounds like a good idea if offered.

33 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It seems nowaday they're questioning people rather than asking to see documents and cash so the indemnity form sounds like a good idea if offered.

As far back as 2006 I signed an indemnity at Gatwick on Emirates after they were refusing me travel because I was using a return portion of a ticket originally out of Bangkok (so effectively now a one way ticket) with no tourist visa in advance

I was incredibly close to be offloaded that day and  I think it was because I was dressed reasonably  nicely and spoke politely in asking to speak to Emirates head of station who authorised me signing that indemnity

If I had been wearing T shirt and shorts that day I doubt I would have flown

So there's history out there that signing an indemnity is certainly a possibility if the shight is hitting the fan at check in

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 2

Glad you finally got your visa @Chivas

This is NOT a dig at you but my advice for others:

I just looked at my most recent eVisa and it was valid for 3 months from date of grant.  I actually applied a month before travel

I strongly suggest everyone applies as early as possible for their visas - ie don't cause yourself a last minute panic!

I'll post this on the linked topic as well.

Didn't it used to be easy, before all the "improvements"?

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, VBF said:

Glad you finally got your visa @Chivas

This is NOT a dig at you but my advice for others:

I just looked at my most recent eVisa and it was valid for 3 months from date of grant.  I actually applied a month before travel

I strongly suggest everyone applies as early as possible for their visas - ie don't cause yourself a last minute panic!

I'll post this on the linked topic as well.

Didn't it used to be easy, before all the "improvements"?

It certainly was. Simple application form sent off to Cardiff Consulate along with passport which normally came back within 3-4 days

Could be argued that the current set up is actually marginally cheaper because you're not enclosing a special delivery envelope for its return which they insisted on and also the recorded delivery cost of sending it to Cardiff in the first place

Also if you remember they wanted Postal Order rather than a cheque for payment

Edited by Chivas
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chivas said:

It certainly was. Simple application form sent off to Cardiff Consulate along with passport which normally came back within 3-4 days

Could be argued that the current set up is actually marginally cheaper because you're not enclosing a special delivery envelope for its return which they insisted on and also the recorded delivery cost of sending it to Cardiff in the first place

Financially cheaper certainly...what price the mental stress caused by the current system? ????????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Financially cheaper certainly...what price the mental stress caused by the current system? ????????

Exactly

Albeit once you've done it once and know exactly whats acceptable it will be much much easier next time

Edited by Chivas
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Exactly

Albeit once you've done it once and know exactly whats acceptable it will be much much easier next time

Which is why i've kept all the docs, PDFs and JPEGs from last time to be reused or adapted for next time! 

And I'm STILL going to apply 2-3 months early! ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well I got through but they pulled me aside and it's not just a 10 minute interview. You have to wait for an hour for your turn and produce all the requirements like cash and a ticket back to your home country. Onward ticket to Penang wouldn't have sufficed for me but luckily as I was waiting I got an email with my evisa! Yes, on a Sunday! So it all worked out ok by luck but I definitely wouldn't recommend the visa exempt via airport route for anyone with a history. Edited by edwardandtubs

50 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Well I got through but they pulled me aside and it's not just a 10 minute interview. You have to wait for an hour for your turn and produce all the requirements like cash and a ticket back to your home country. Onward ticket to Penang wouldn't have sufficed for me but luckily as I was waiting I got an email with my evisa! Yes, on a Sunday! So it all worked out ok by luck but I definitely wouldn't recommend the visa exempt via airport route for anyone with a history.

They've sent your for questioning and you received your eVisa while you were waiting for your turn to get questioned? Did I understand that correctly? Excellent timing if that's the case.

Then what happened? Did they choose not to question you once you told them about the newly arrived eVisa?

Regarding the onward ticket, the official requirement is just a "ticket out" to any other country within the time your visa exempt is valid. That's what the airline flying you in would check (if they do). In case of immigration questioning you, all bets are off, people have reported that airport IOs haven't been happy with tickets to nearby countries before. Probably because they suspect the obvious. 

Edited by Caldera