US special counsel Jack Smith asks judge to place gag order on Donald Trump

Social Media

The Colorado judge overseeing the first significant lawsuit to bar former President Donald Trump from the state’s 2024 presidential ballot on Friday issued a protective order prohibiting threats and intimidation in the case, saying the safety of those involved — including herself and her staff — was necessary as the groundbreaking litigation moves forward.

The order prohibits parties in the case from making threatening or intimidating statements. Scott Gessler, a former Colorado secretary of state representing Trump in the case, opposed it. He said a protective order was unnecessary because threats and intimidation already are prohibited by law.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-amendment-ballot-ban-insurrection-colorado-4641bcfff79abf1d5d79dae7c3a73fa6

• Thanks 1

Potential for threats from Trump in 14th Amendment case sways Colorado judge
Trial set to begin Oct. 30
SEPTEMBER 22, 2023 

Most of the Friday hearing concerned procedural matters. Trump’s lawyer in the case, Scott Gessler, a former Republican Colorado secretary of state, indicated he intends to try to get the case tossed under a recent Colorado law that protects people who exercise First Amendment rights from the threat of lawsuits — known as an anti-SLAPP * law. The allegations against Trump in the case are all “based on his speech,” Gessler said.

“We believe it’s a winner,” Gessler said of the pending motion under anti-SLAPP — or “strategic lawsuits against public participation.”

https://coloradonewsline.com/2023/09/22/potential-for-threats-from-trump-in-14th-amendment-case-sways-colorado-judge/

* Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (SLAPP suit)

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Julian’s being looked after, he gets well fed, he comfortably accommodated and he got his teeth fixed for free.

He might not be in jail now had he not jumped bail and in doing so ensured he’s not eligible for bail now.

Think you are missing the side affects of all of this. Forget about Russia Trump Biden Bush whoever. What happens when journalists are not allowed to their job and freedoms of reporting and speech are hindered. Luckily many others still risking their lives. Long Island audit for example. When these people stop fighting for freedoms will quality of life improve for your average citizen. The corruption, stealing , cheating, lying will get worse. Oops . More conspiracy. A very interesting time in humanity where live video streaming exists. But then again, deep fake Tom cruise looks so real. Show him robbing a bank and he's in jail.

Stay real and free people 

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It's likely Trump will be arrested and incarcerated on Monday.

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-bail-violation-question/

ASEAN Now needs a "fingers crossed" icon for posts like this.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

From thee RawStory link above:

Donald Trump on Friday suggested a retiring general might deserve the death penalty, prompting some to say he went too far and others to ask if the former president violated his court-ordered conditions for release.

From the X post above:

image.jpeg.846c742e029548a8167e2c92cfa656c8.jpeg

Also a WTF icon.  What was the fool tweeting (X-ing?) about?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It's likely Trump will be arrested and incarcerated on Monday.

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-bail-violation-question/

I doubt he’ll have his bail revoke, just yet.

My guess is he’ll be handed a significant slap and warned his next transgression will land him in the slammer.

The judge will be keen to demonstrate proportionality, but Trump will transgress again, it’s what he does.

After a lifetime of never ever being held accountable for anything he’s having difficulty learning the new rules.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My guess is he’ll be handed a significant slap and warned his next transgression will land him in the slammer.

The judge will be keen to demonstrate proportionality, but Trump will transgress again, it’s what he does.

After a lifetime of never ever being held accountable for anything he’s having difficulty learning the new rules.

I don't think he will get a slap on his tiny hand for advocating assassination of a general.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That's because he's still not being held accountable. Hopefully that will change soon, but for the moment he's getting away with clear violations of court orders.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I would have agreed with that going back to the mid-1970's.

But it may be that the way to have bail revoked in Washington DC case would require a motion to do so by the Prosecution.

But re: the 'gag' order and possible revocation of bail:

Renato Mariotti, a former federal prosecutor, said Chutkan has already previewed a way to address his speech and dodge the issue of a gag order, noting the judge has already warned she may have to bump up Trump’s March trial date if outside factors like his comments jeopardize the ability to carry out a fair trial in the courtroom.

“I actually think she’s more likely to do that because it’s not reviewable, really, on appeal, and she has wide discretion to do so. And I could see her moving up the trial date as a way of sending a message to Donald Trump rather than getting herself in this challenging situation where she’s trying to police his speech, which is always a tricky situation for a judge to be in,” Mariotti said last week during an appearance on MSNBC.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4219119-doj-gag-order-trump-jan-6-case-puts-judge-tough-spot

That would likely become grounds for an appeal.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That would likely become grounds for an appeal.

Strange comment after an expert said

"I actually think she’s more likely to do that because it’s not reviewable, really, on appeal,".

• Thumbs Up 1

Trump fights Jack Smith request for narrow gag order in Jan. 6 case
Prosecutors asked a judge to bar the former president’s ‘inflammatory’ attacks on case participants, citing a threat of violence and intimidation of jurors and others

September 25, 2023 at 11:39 p.m. EDT

After the government request was made public Sept. 15, Trump called special counsel Jack Smith “a deranged person” who “wants to take away my rights under the First Amendment.” His attorneys struck a more restrained tone in a 25-page court filing in Washington, D.C., writing that the court “should reject this transparent gamesmanship and deny the motion entirely.”

“Given the significant First Amendment issues presented by the Motion, President Trump respectfully requests the Court schedule a hearing at the first opportunity,” the filing states.

The response joins a battle that promises to be a recurring feature of Trump’s multiple state and federal criminal cases and that highlights challenges facing prosecutors and judges in the historic attempts to prosecute a former American president and active candidate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/09/25/trump-gag-order-response/

https://archive.ph/zaOGG