Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

3 hours ago, stat said:

You are correct that it is not a law but a directive, my apologies!

But as mentioned in the directive, all older directives are void as is also stated by a very reputable law firm.

According to the New Order, if Thai tax resident individuals derive offshore-sourced income and bring offshore-sourced income into Thailand, they will have to pay Thai personal income tax, regardless of whether such income is brought into Thailand in the calendar year of receipt or in subsequent calendar years. The New Order will apply to any taxable income that is brought into Thailand from 1 January 2024 onward. Any regulation, instruction, revenue ruling or practice which is contrary to or inconsistent with this New Order shall be repealed.

It is noteworthy that if the offshore-sourced income is not a taxable income (e.g., proceeds from the sale of offshore securities or assets with no gain) or income that is exempted from Thai personal income tax under the Revenue Code, such as income from insurance, Thai tax residents will not have to pay Thai personal income tax when they bring that income into Thailand.

Source: https://insightplus.bakermckenzie.com/bm/tax/thailand-offshore-sourced-income-brought-into-thailand-from-1-january-2024-onward-will-be-subject-to-thai-personal-income-tax/

Also here:

Article 2: In line with the issuance of this order, all existing rules, regulations, orders, responses to inquiries, or any practices that contradict or oppose the provisions laid out in Order No. 16/2023 shall be void.

https://franklegaltax.com/thailands-new-tax-rules-reporting-foreign-income-for-residents/?lang=de

Can a directive override a Royal Decree?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stat said:

and again the new directive could impact even a royal degree. That is what I am saying along with EVERY tax advisor. The situation is unclear. Let's hope you are in the right and LTR visa holders are exempt.

No, every tax advisor is definitely not saying that. And neither is the BoI.  Before you post again here, perhaps you can write and ask them as so many of us LTR visa holders already have?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

I read 14 sites of tax advidors all agreed that this could change everything even for LTR visas. I already asked the BoI explicitly on income remitted, no answer yet.

Pls post a source of some tax advisors staating LTR is definitly tax exempt in the future, I bet you will not come up with a single one! Already posted the exact wording of LTR and it is clearly stated income from another year is exempted. That was exempted under any visa in the past.

My tax professor always said: Do not rely on planing taxes to detailled as the laws will change.

Do not get me wrong I hope LTR is exempt.

I have asked the BoI explicity on income remitted, and they have answered me. Why they answer me and not you I do not understand. Do you have an LTR visa?

Please post links to your 14 advisors who all agree that this could change everything for LTR visa holders.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Saw an old friend today who said he had been harassed by the RD a few years ago.  He was based in TH for years but worked offshore and had no Thai sourced income.  Then after he retired in Bkk he was employed for a couple of years by the Bkk office of an international firm as an advisor which landed him in the Thai tax net for the first time. After his contract expired he stopped filing income tax returns as his only income was a European pension already taxed at source.  So he assumed no assessable income, no more  tax returns.

Suddenly one day a delegation from the RD shows up unannounced at his house demanding that he file tax returns again and pay tax on his foreign sourced income. His Thai daughter dealt with them and they ended up agreeing that his pension was not assessable because it was already taxed at source in a DTA country.  The next year they showed up again with the same demands.  My friend is very irascible and was visibly upset with the RD officers since his his assessable tax situation was still the same as the previous year. Eventually his daughter gave the boss man 1,000 baht to go away and not come back.  So far they haven't.

There we go, our future tax Baht working for us in action, I hope my redemption is a 1000 Bhat.

52 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

It doesn’t cover years before that which the RD says will not be taxable.

I believe that you meant “will be taxable”.

In any event, not a concern for me, as I only became a tax resident this year and have the LTR

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The loophole in the royal decree is that it only exempts prior year income

It is NOT a loophole, it's enshrined in law.

A loophole would be something they didn't consider when writing the law which clearly isn't the case with this regulation.

It is my understanding that those with a retirement visa and subject to a double taxation agreement will be unaffected by the new provisions. Even if monies are brought into a Thai Bank unless it exceeds 2 million baht in 1 year the banks in Thailand will not alert the Revenue Dept.

If of course you are currently filing tax returns here the situation may be different...

Edited by Happy happy
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:49 AM, webfact said:

regardless of whether it was earned income

What is "earned income"?

Not pension/social security distributions.

US Internal Revenue Service:

KPMG observation of effect on Section 41 Paragraph 2 of the Thai Revenue Code by the proposed tax changes:

• Previously the assessable income derived by a Thai tax resident from employment, a business carried on overseas, or from a property situated overseas, would have been subject to Thai personal income tax. The new interpretation means that foreign-sourced income brought into Thailand from 1 January 2024 onwards will be subject to Thai individual income tax... (my bold emphasis)

US Foreign Earned Income Exclusion:

• The US foreign earned income exclusion was created to avoid double taxation for Americans living abroad.

If taxed other than as earned income by Thailand, tax likely cannot be credited against US income for US tax purposes. In effect a double taxation and violation of US-Thailand tax treaty. But Thailand wants now to emphasize more investments from the US Government?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, K2938 said:

Currently having or not having a Thai tax number should not make any difference whatsoever.  If you are legally staying in Thailand which I assume applies to most on this forum, then the Thai authorities know about you regardless of if you have or do not have a Thai tax number.

57 minutes ago, Happy happy said:

It is my understanding that those with a retirement visa and subject to a double taxation agreement will be unaffected by the new provisions. Even if monies are brought into a Thai Bank unless it exceeds 2 million baht in 1 year the banks in Thailand will not alert the Revenue Dept.

If of course you are currently filing tax returns here the situation may be different...

I guess we have to wait and see, it will be all speculations for now.