Flowing frustration: Mysterious water bill surge drowns Thai homeowner in questions

webfact

image.jpeg

A baffling water bill totalling 2,428 baht has left 42 year old homeowner seeking answers from the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA). Despite living in a three-person household with modest water usage, homeowner Kalya Kanfeun usually pays less than 200 baht per month.

A news team last night visited Kalya’s residence at 161, Moo 11, Klong Darn Subdistrict, Bang Bo District, Samut Prakan Province. Kalya showed the MWA water meter installed outside her small single-storey wooden house, spanning about 30 square metres.

The issue began when she didn’t receive her usual water bill on the ninth of the month. Upon checking with her neighbours and the MWA application, she discovered her bill had skyrocketed to 2,428 baht, a considerable increase from her usual 140 to 190 baht per month. She reported the issue via the MWA application.

by Samantha Rose 

Photo: Sanook.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Also check the meter to see if it is spining when nothing is being used.  

This.  Had a 9,000 Baht water bill where normally it is less than 100.  Checked every point in the house for any water running and nothing.  I could hear the meter spinning from outside the house and looked at the meter and spinning like crazy.

Was a broken line underground to the house.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Did she check her meter to see if the reading on the bill is close to the actual reading on the meter?

Happened to me once, the idiot who reads the meter entered the wrong number.

There was absolutely no way to correct the mistake according to them so I just took the credit as a pre pay.

Moved into a new place in Korat a few yrs back and saw some lines I thought shouldn't be there and landlord just shrugged.  Bothered me so a few days after moving in, I show him all my electricity is off and it's spinning away.  He opened the other side up right then, cut it off and gave the guy the boot.  Never did meet that neighbor!   55555555