How would a visa transfer to a new passport after losing it?

You go to the police and make a police report, then you go to the embassy and apply for a new passport. The embassy will give you a letter stating that your passport was stolen or lost. You take that to immigration with a copy of your old passport and visa (if you have it) and they will transfer the visa to the new passport

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

I actually did not lose my passport, but I got scammed by an ED company and I've heard the ED visa can cause problems in immigration when I visit again. Basically want to get that stamp out of my passport. Could I just avoid the step of having to go to the police by just going to the US embassy and asking for a new passport? Just think it might be weird because my passport is new. Or do I not have much to worry about at the embassy, not like they would grill people like immigration might?

13 minutes ago, tc88888 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I actually did not lose my passport, but I got scammed by an ED company and I've heard the ED visa can cause problems in immigration when I visit again. Basically want to get that stamp out of my passport. Could I just avoid the step of having to go to the police by just going to the US embassy and asking for a new passport? Just think it might be weird because my passport is new. Or do I not have much to worry about at the embassy, not like they would grill people like immigration might?

Replacing the PP doesnt make a ED visa\stamp disappear. IMM has a full record of all your history.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tc88888 said:

It is true that skeletons in your Immigration history closet are not ideal. However, you appear to have moved on. As long as your current visa (or extension) are above board, it is not likely that you will have any trouble. I think replacing your passport would be a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tc88888 said:

While that may be true, I don't want to take any chances of being stuck in immigration. Although they have my complete history, I have heard whatever stamp is present on the passport does make a difference at the airport.

Don't bother with new pp.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1243227-has-anyone-re-entered-thailand-after-expiration-of-a-dodgy-volunteer-visa/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Preacher said:

A visa is not transferred, but lost. What would be transferred is a permission to stay and extension there of. But a valid multiple entry visa is lost.

Not always, if you have details of the visa, (type, when and where issued etc), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in CW can sometimes replace the lost visa

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I consider it prudent to keep copies of all my relevant passport pages that concern my annual extension as a backup.

It payed dividends when 10 years ago I lost my passport.

Got the police report and a new passport and provided the copies to IB and it was all restamped up without question.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

You would need a police report for the US Embassy in Bangkok.  So I guess you could go lie to the police then lie to the Embassy.

I am not sure of US Embassy policy, but I believe they are not a problem. If willing to pay, you can request a passport replacement at any time. If you want, damage the passport a little. However, I think you can just tell them the passport contains embarrassing stamps that you do not want visible to immigration officials when traveling. I think it is a legitimate justification for the replacement.

Thai Immigration is another matter. I just do not think it is smart to draw attention to the fact that you want to cover up your immigration history as reflected in your old passport. It is asking for trouble when you will usually have no problems if you simply proceed normally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am not sure of US Embassy policy, but I believe they are not a problem. If willing to pay, you can request a passport replacement at any time. If you want, damage the passport a little. However, I think you can just tell them the passport contains embarrassing stamps that you do not want visible to immigration officials when traveling. I think it is a legitimate justification for the replacement.

Thai Immigration is another matter. I just do not think it is smart to draw attention to the fact that you want to cover up your immigration history as reflected in your old passport. It is asking for trouble when you will usually have no problems if you simply proceed normally.

Well I do know.  I don't post guesses here like everyone else.  He wanted to know how to replace a lost passport not advice on when a new passport can be requested.  There are no time limits for requesting a passport that was not lost or stolen.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/replace-lost-stolen-adult-passport/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Do you think it is worse to have a brand new passport with just the latest business visa, vs a passport with 1-2 years of history but includes a sketchy ED visa?

My concern is from talking to Todd from the visa facebook group in the past. He said I should try and get that stamp out of my passport and refers to it as "the stamp of death" ????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tc88888 said:

Do you think it is worse to have a brand new passport with just the latest business visa, vs a passport with 1-2 years of history but includes a sketchy ED visa?

My concern is from talking to Todd from the visa facebook group in the past. He said I should try and get that stamp out of my passport and refers to it as "the stamp of death" ????

Tod is a smart and knowledgeable guy. If you want to follow his advice, that is understandable. My opinion remains the same. The big danger was in the immediate aftermath of the dodgy Non Ed visa, when switching to a legitimate visa. That is when your immediate previous stamp will have been subject to the closest scrutiny.

I can see that it could be possible to make the old passport disappear by deliberately destroying it, and declaring it lost (false police report and statement to the embassy). When trying to get stamps restored in your new passport, your immigration history in Immigration's database is going to be very carefully checked by officials who will have reason to be suspicious. There will be no offending stamp for them to look at, but there may well be equally incriminating data to be discovered when the official conducts a careful forensic investigation.