Russell Brand: Met Police receive report of alleged sexual assault in 2003

Social Media

image.png

The Metropolitan Police has received a report of an alleged sexual assault in 2003 in the wake of media allegations about Russell Brand.

Officers did not name Brand, but said they were in contact with the woman and were "providing her with support".

Over the weekend the comedian and actor was accused of rape and sexual assaults between 2006 and 2013, which he denies.

Following the allegations, upcoming shows on Brand's live tour have been postponed, the promoter confirmed.

On Monday one of the women whose allegations against Brand were part of the investigation by The Times, The Sunday Times and Channel 4 Dispatches told the BBC the comedian's behaviour had been an "open secret", and described his denials as "laughable".

In a statement the Met said it was aware of the media allegations and continued: "On Sunday, 17 September, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003."

The force first spoke to the Sunday Times on Saturday, it said, and has since made further approaches to the newspaper and Channel 4 to ensure anyone who believes they are a victim of a sexual offence "no matter how long ago it was" knows how to report it to the police.

The force has not said they have begun a criminal investigation or that any arrests have been made.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There's an assault on the American male. Before having sex the male should have a consent form handy before the deed is done. Either straight or gay, seems not to matter.

Great idea, or even a handy wallet size plastic card.............:clap2:

Well, it would sort out the deemed untouchable.....????

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, transam said:

But, the accusations must be looked into, if they are not, the likes of Harris and Saville would still be doing their thing under the umbrella of being a celebrity...... ????

Agreed.

The problem is when people's careers are ruined before it even goes to court. Then they are often found not guilty but they are forever tarnished with the reputation of being a sex pest despite there being no evidence and a not guilty verdict.

It's a bit like what Amber Heard tried to do to Depp. In that case it backfired eventually (incredibly she actually won the UK case) but that's an exception to the rule.

Generally, there are very little consequences for the accuser even if the claims are proved to be false so it's like a free bet for them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Agreed.

The problem is when people's careers are ruined before it even goes to court. Then they are often found not guilty but they are forever tarnished with the reputation of being a sex pest despite there being no evidence and a not guilty verdict.

It's a bit like what Amber Heard tried to do to Depp. In that case it backfired eventually (incredibly she actually won the UK case) but that's an exception to the rule.

Generally, there are very little consequences for the accuser even if the claims are proved to be false so it's like a free bet for them.

Yes, I also remember Cliff Richards dilemma...????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

There's an assault on the American male. Before having sex the male should have a consent form handy before the deed is done. Either straight or gay, seems not to matter.

You would need the signed consent form,

But also 2 independent witnesses, and a doctors report stating she was of sound mind and sober. And I was told that by a lawyer at a Law lecture in university 1975.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Seems women are somehow prohibited from reporting rape directly after the incident. Now, 20 yrs seems to be the legit waiting period.

Please explain........

It happens. A mate of mine was sexually abused by his Doctor in his teens. He didn't report it or confide in anyone until his early 30's.

There was then an additional wait of several more years before the police felt they had sufficient complainants/evidence to launch a criminal investigation.

He would have been around 40 years old by the time the Doctor was convicted, jailed and struck-off. 

In general, I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the increasing trend of serious charges/accusations being made via the media. I suppose this is the classic investigative media expose which may well empower additional complainants to report their own issues but at what point do the hacks sit back and think they might have a moral obligation to hand over to the police rather than generating copy, to what extent does this kind of publicity impair any future judicial hearing and is it fair on the accused to be publicly exposed in this way outside the normal judicial process ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

But, the accusations must be looked into, if they are not, the likes of Harris and Saville would still be doing their thing under the umbrella of being a celebrity...... ????

Trans, Didn't think that I would ever respond to one of your posts in this way but, spot on.

Wrt to other posters' concerns about those falsely accused, yes it is an issue. Imo it should be pretty simple - through legal channels - to financially compensate such individuals for loss of earnings, etc. Compensating them for the effects on their mental well-being, family, etc is a whole lot more difficult (impossible?). 

No easy answers but, as Trans infers, I guess that the question that we all have to answer for ourselves is along the lines of: "Is it better for some to be falsely accused if it means that the likes of Saville are stopped in their tracks and punished?"

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But also 2 independent witnesses, and a doctors report stating she was of sound mind and sober. And I was told that by a lawyer at a Law lecture in university 1975.

Naaa just get a rental when you are done send her home roll over and go to sleep

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Self inflamed grievance stroking raises its ugly head.

You are being tortured by your own imagination.

22 hours ago, realfunster said:

It happens. A mate of mine was sexually abused by his Doctor in his teens. He didn't report it or confide in anyone until his early 30's.

There was then an additional wait of several more years before the police felt they had sufficient complainants/evidence to launch a criminal investigation.

He would have been around 40 years old by the time the Doctor was convicted, jailed and struck-off. 

In general, I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the increasing trend of serious charges/accusations being made via the media. I suppose this is the classic investigative media expose which may well empower additional complainants to report their own issues but at what point do the hacks sit back and think they might have a moral obligation to hand over to the police rather than generating copy, to what extent does this kind of publicity impair any future judicial hearing and is it fair on the accused to be publicly exposed in this way outside the normal judicial process ? 

At what point did you think 'hack' and 'moral obligation' belonged in the same sentence?