Goodbye Alcoholism, Hello Sobriety!

bob smith

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

How much alcohol needs to be consumed to be defined as an alcoholic? Asking for a friend.

Don't think there's a set figure. I'm not even sure if it necessarily means you have to imbibe daily.

From my perspective, it would be when you can't control your consumption and rely on it. I wouldn't classify myself as an alcoholic at all but I've developed an issue in being able to stop drinking once I get into a session.

So I have a problem in the 1st regard but not the 2nd because I can go for several weeks without alcohol and it doesn't dictate my life.

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Abstaining from wine the mocker and strong drink the brawler has caused the demons waging war on your soul to flee.

The difference in your posting when sober is remarkable.  Thank you for this uplifting story.

God will not let you be tempted beyond your ability. But with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Corinthians 10:13

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Sober for what? 2 weeks? You'll be back.

You may be right.

but I hope that you aren’t. 

what I may do going forward after a month of detox is limiting myself to 2 glasses of red wine a night.

thats what is classed as moderate drinking for men and could actually be beneficial health wise as it gets the blood flowing. But that’s for later.

i must completely detox first and get a grip of my addiction before I can decide how to proceed.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bob smith said:

How so?

It is very wise for a recovering alcoholic to totally stay clear of any alcohol!

Some people can not even go near a bar for fear of relapsing and that is indeed a great danger.

You said yourself that alcohol has ruined your life,it is that strong.

Some people have tried a drink after years and completely became controlled by it again.

You yourself have tried it before and so far failed.

If you can manage to not touch a drink for one month then why play with the dragon again?

Maybe just drink grapejuice ,it has good health benifits also,no alcohol needed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, jvs said:

It is very wise for a recovering alcoholic to totally stay clear of any alcohol!

Some people can not even go near a bar for fear of relapsing and that is indeed a great danger.

You said yourself that alcohol has ruined your life,it is that strong.

Some people have tried a drink after years and completely became controlled by it again.

You yourself have tried it before and so far failed.

If you can manage to not touch a drink for one month then why play with the dragon again?

Maybe just drink grapejuice ,it has good health benifits also,no alcohol needed.

And I may just do that!

I love a cold fruit juice.

but if I can get into a routine of 2 glasses of red when I feel like a drink then that could also be an option.

but for now I am completely abstaining.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

what I may do going forward after a month of detox is limiting myself to 2 glasses of red wine a night.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Fail!

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

How so?

Maybe ask some real alcoholics about your idea. There are a few on this board. AFAIK it is not possible for a true alcoholic to become a moderate drinker. All or nothing Bob.

Are you an alcoholic, or just a problem/heavy drinker?

Edited by chickenslegs
To clarify

17 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Maybe ask some real alcoholics about your idea. There are a few on this board. AFAIK it is not possible for a true alcoholic to become a moderate drinker. All or nothing Bob.

Are you an alcoholic, or just a problem/heavy drinker?

Not sure to be honest.

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why have you presumed that I have neve touched coffee or cola (or alcohol or cannabis for that matter?)

It would be a little hypocritical of you to label somebody a drug addict if you yourself need a caffine hit to get through the day.

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You wont be doing that when you are stoned either 

Maybe. Maybe not.

If he chooses to get stoned at the end of the day it's no big deal. Unlike alcohol weed doesn't slow you down and burden you with a hangover the following day. That is the big problem with alcohol. A night spent drinking doesn't just loose you that evening (which is probably not a big deal if you had no plans anyway), it can loose you the entire following day. That's a big price to pay for a few hours winding down in the evening.

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Not sure to be honest.

I am a heavy drinker myself, and have experienced occasional blackouts (maybe 2-3 in 40+ years). However, my drinking has never got me into trouble or caused problems at home. I do not see myself as an alcoholic, but I would surely benefit from reducing or stopping my alcohol consumption, both financially and health wise.

From what you describe, Bob, I do not think you are an alcoholic, but I'm no expert.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

If he chooses to get stoned at the end of the day it's no big deal. Unlike alcohol weed doesn't slow you down and burden you with a hangover the following day. That is the big problem with alcohol. A night spent drinking doesn't just loose you that evening (which is probably not a big deal if you had no plans anyway), it can loose you the entire following day. That's a big price to pay for a few hours winding down in the evening.

A factor in why I generally abstain during the week…. losing subsequent days. If Thai beer were any good and wine were a normal price, that might be different. 
Weed not same for everyone; find it makes me pretty groggy/sluggish next day, whatever strain. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

If there were such a drug it would be widely known and widely prescribed.

perhaps this side effect is unique to me?

they say that side effects can vary from person to person.

day 3 no alcohol. lets do this!

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

God will not let you be tempted beyond your ability. But with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

What a load of cobblers in my eyes.

What if I do not believe in God? Will he still look after me?

• Haha 1

I'd say there's something else that has played a bigger part of your immune system being compromised. 

Anyhow 

Before anything

1.virgin olive oil table spoon 

2.part of a  lemon squeezed 

3. Cayenne pepper

Shot glass in one.

Coffee or tea if you have to with 

Lions mane powder added.

It's worked wonders for me.

Ignore any negative feedback 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1