Thai towns from the top

bignok

1 hour ago, stoner said:

what happened to ao nang ? i haven't been in over 15 years. was paradise in early 2000's

The usual, over developed & too many tourist.  Was just there for 1 day, and happy to move on.

@bignok nice list and not much argument from me.  We travel for the 'journey', landscape, and food.  Not much else really interests us any more.

Edited by KhunLA

On 9/20/2023 at 6:14 PM, bignok said:

MHS and Nan the only places I want to go.

MHS town itself is awful, nothing to do on an evening, as a province for bike trips etc, fantastic scenery.

Nan is cool but becoming too busy during 'winter' months.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Very much so. I lived near Phayao and enjoyed doing so. Nothing wrong with Phayao and not a "dump" as described (IMO).

I agree, i enjoyed Phayao for a night, some nice spots down by the lake for a feed and a few beers.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

MHS town itself is awful, nothing to do on an evening, as a province for bike trips etc, fantastic scenery.

Yes indeed. It is many years since I visited Mae Hong Son and I agree with your observations. I found a nice hotel overlooking a small lake but otherwise very quiet. I had to walk some considerable distance away from town to find a bar, part of a hotel, which I believed closed at 11pm. However, the scenery of the surrounding hills and countryside is fantastic. These days, do not venture near the Thai - Burma border due to hostilities by the Burmese military.

29 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. It is many years since I visited Mae Hong Son and I agree with your observations. I found a nice hotel overlooking a small lake but otherwise very quiet. I had to walk some considerable distance away from town to find a bar, part of a hotel, which I believed closed at 11pm. However, the scenery of the surrounding hills and countryside is fantastic. These days, do not venture near the Thai - Burma border due to hostilities by the Burmese military.

Good to know will cross off list. A dump is a bit harsh for Phayao but compared to other places it ranked low.

Nan does look nice to chill. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

You left out Kalasin. I'm not surprised. I live in Kalasin Province, have done for the last 8 years and need to head in to Kalasin city frequently. There is nothing to recommend it IMHO 

Never been there. I figured it was a dump.

good reviews Big Nok......  not sure on how accurate all of them are, but you have certainly covered a lot of ground!! 

have you not decided yet where to lay your hat, or do you just move on to somewhere where you dont have a bar bill yet? ????  

good travel guide buddy 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm always fascinated by towns if a different "flavour" so to speak.

However I think every town (except I think the Muslim south) has been visited by every foreigner.

Philippines is next on my list for towns 

Very few foreigners in Phattalung or NST. I saw 2 in Phattalung and about 6 in NST.

The far south looks ordinary to me.