Thai Smile Bus plans to add over 1,000 electric vehicles to its fleet by 2023

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai Smile Bus, a leading public transportation company utilising clean energy, plans to introduce an additional 1,083 electric buses (EV) to its fleet by next year, according to the company’s CEO, Kulapatsorn Wongmajarabhin.

This initiative is part of the company’s ongoing commitment over the past two years to develop environmentally friendly public transportation and reduce PM2.5 dust pollution in urban areas.

At present, the company operates 2,500 buses (comprising 2,017 EVs and 483 NGV buses) across 123 routes, authorised by the Department of Land Transport, Ministry of Transport. In addition to enhancing public transportation, the company has also provided employment and improved the quality of life for over 3,000 staff members.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Image by Mehaniq

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

It has always puzzled me why a bus company cannot set up a battery exchange at each end of a route. the batteries could be on trolleys and slid under the bus and exchanged for the depleted one which could then be recharged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At present, the company operates 2,500 buses (comprising 2,017 EVs and 483 NGV buses) across 123 routes, authorised by the Department of Land Transport, Ministry of Transport. In addition to enhancing public transportation, the company has also provided employment and improved the quality of life for over 3,000 staff members.

So is the taxpayer is shelling out for this ?

45 minutes ago, Maybole said:

It has always puzzled me why a bus company cannot set up a battery exchange at each end of a route. the batteries could be on trolleys and slid under the bus and exchanged for the depleted one which could then be recharged.

Probably due to the size, weight and the mounting cages/straps. Plus the danger of getting fried.

Much easier to just plug in.

4 hours ago, Maybole said:

As some others have mentioned, setting up a battery exchange system at bus terminals is not as simple as it may seem. One major challenge is that bus batteries require high currents, typically ranging from 300A to 600A, which means they need to be tightly sealed, securely connected, and properly secured. Although there is new technology being developed in China for swappable batteries in motorcycles and small cars, it is still in the early stages of development.

Buses and cars are not the same when it comes to electric vehicles. The primary factor affecting the range of EVs is speed and aerodynamics, which is why companies like Tesla and Mercedes have been successful in developing EVs with impressive ranges. Buses, on the other hand, are low-speed vehicles and will always have excellent range capabilities. They don't require motors that can spin at high speeds to achieve speeds of 180km/h; instead, they need a high torque motor output to reach speeds of 90km/h. for example, 200kW motor that delivers 800NM of torque.

It is worth mentioning that EV buses are highly efficient and represent the future of clean transportation.

• Like 1

I've never heard of "Thai Smile Bus"?  Who the heck are they?

Really???

"At present, the company operates 2,500 buses (comprising 2,017 EVs and 483 NGV buses) across 123 routes, authorised by the Department of Land Transport, Ministry of Transport."

And of course, the photo accompanying the article showing a big bus painted entirely white with no name or signage on it certainly is going to help folks recognize the provider...  ????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I must confess that I have never really seen an urban bus system in Thailand, outside of Bangkok. Certainly up here in the frozen north, we had one route in Chiang Rai which packed in after six months or so.

I don't think Chiang Mai have any, although I remember bus stops being set up about 8 years ago. Never got any buses to go with them!

The ones I have seen in Bangkok appear to be ancient and decrepit, held together with duct tape and bitumastic sealant, dribbling water from knackered air conditioning systems.

As I've said, never seen any anywhere else. I suspect the various songthaw mafias are too strong.

Edited by herfiehandbag